PDA

View Full Version : Wonderment's Guide for the Perplexed Commenter: THINK

Wonderment
05-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Given all the Commenter Court conversation about decorum lately, I thought I'd post this bit of self-help wisdom I came across recently.

THINK can be applied to any real-life relationship-communication issue, but is especially good for those of us who struggle here with send-button impulse control issues :)

THINK also has the advantage of promoting self-governance and commenter autonomy rather than top-down refereeing by staff.

So, first ask yourself....

T -- Is it true?
H -- Is it honest?
I -- Is it intelligent?
N -- Is it necessary?
K -- Is it kind?

graz
05-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Given all the Commenter Court conversation about decorum lately, I thought I'd post this bit of self-help wisdom I came across recently.

THINK can be applied to any real-life relationship-communication issue, but is especially good for those of us who struggle here with send-button impulse control issues :)

THINK also has the advantage of promoting self-governance and commenter autonomy rather than top-down refereeing by staff.

T -- Is it true?
H -- Is it honest?
I -- Is it intelligent?
N -- Is it necessary?
K -- Is it kind?
Thanks for the HELP

H -- Honesty
E -- Empathy
L -- Love
P -- Parrots

Ocean
05-26-2011, 06:53 PM

T -- Is it true?
H -- Is it honest?
I -- Is it intelligent?
N -- Is it necessary?
K -- Is it kind?

THIN could easily be in contradiction with K.

stephanie
05-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the HELP

H -- Honesty
E -- Empathy
L -- Love
P -- Parrots

It's perhaps sad that my immediate thought is:

Dr. Henry's Emergency Lessons for People.

Wonderment always manages to give me more hope for human potential, though, and I'm not even joking.

uncle ebeneezer
05-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Is there a version in French? ;)

chiwhisoxx
05-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Is there a version in French? ;)

or perhaps even better, a version in douche :) ?

Ocean
05-26-2011, 07:24 PM
or perhaps even better, a version in douche :) ?

Douche is French.

AemJeff
05-26-2011, 07:31 PM
THIN could easily be in contradiction with K.

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. Also, I'm pretty sure that N is never true. (Sorry Wonderment, I'm the same way with acronym/aphorisms in real life, too!)

Ocean
05-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah, that occurred to me, too. Also, I'm pretty sure that N is never true. (Sorry Wonderment, I'm the same way with acronym/aphorisms in real life, too!)

T is achievable.
H should be expected.
I is subject to opinion (for our purposes at least).
N is extremely relative or, as you said, never true.
K is nice when possible, but is mostly secondary to the rest.

stephanie
05-26-2011, 07:43 PM
T is achievable.
H should be expected.
I is subject to opinion (for our purposes at least).
N is extremely relative or, as you said, never true.
K is nice when possible, but is mostly secondary to the rest.

I'm seeing it as a personal way of considering stuff before you say (or write) it. More of a "factors to consider" or weighing test rather than requirements which must be met.

For example, it might not be kind, under every definition, but if it's true and necessary (however unusual that situation might be, though I can think of some heavy personal examples), then it might be something you need to say anyway.

For some reason, makes me think back to a college discussion about Cordelia (of Lear). Just because it's true doesn't mean that it needs to be said. And I wouldn't want a bloggingheads thread to end up with people dead, crazy, or naked out on the heath or, worse yet, England under attack by France.

TwinSwords
05-26-2011, 07:46 PM
H -- Honesty
E -- Empathy
L -- Love
P -- Parrots
Win.

Wonderment always manages to give me more hope for human potential, though, and I'm not even joking.
Amen.

Ocean
05-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm seeing it as a personal way of considering stuff before you say (or write) it. More of a "factors to consider" or weighing test rather than requirements which must be met.

For example, it might not be kind, under every definition, but if it's true and necessary (however unusual that situation might be, though I can think of some heavy personal examples), then it might be something you need to say anyway.

Yes, I understand what Wonderment and you are trying to say, and of course I agree with it. I'm just being playful and silly about over-analyzing the acronym.

For some reason, makes me think back to a college discussion about Cordelia (of Lear). Just because it's true doesn't mean that it needs to be said. And I wouldn't want a bloggingheads thread to end up with people dead, crazy, or naked out on the heath or, worse yet, England under attack by France.

Ah, Cordelia! If Cordelia says it, trust it!

But no need for bloody endings.

chiwhisoxx
05-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Douche is French.

this is true, but I think you took my meaning!

Ocean
05-27-2011, 07:59 AM
this is true, but I think you took my meaning!

Yes.

popcorn_karate
05-27-2011, 12:59 PM

T -- Is it true?
H -- Is it honest?
I -- Is it intelligent?
N -- Is it necessary?
K -- Is it kind?

hagh gak HHHHHgggk excuse me, i think may be choking on a hair ball or your treacly sanctimony - hard to tell as they have about the same value.

I appreciate you wonder, But i think you make a better activist than you do a preacher.