PDA

View Full Version : Be Prepared...For Rape/Abortion

uncle ebeneezer
05-25-2011, 01:17 PM
To me this is an example of when PZ's snark is the pitch-perfect response (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/05/women_its_your_job_to_prepare.php) to a statement that deserves to be ridiculed. Pete DeGraaf, have you no sense of decency?

thouartgob
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
To me this is an example of when PZ's snark is the pitch-perfect response (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/05/women_its_your_job_to_prepare.php) to a statement that deserves to be ridiculed. Pete DeGraaf, have you no sense of decency?

Women's torment is God's concern not his. What a prick

Here is the money quote. In response questions about his wanting to remove a rape exception for banning abortion in health coverage ( private health coverage ) he goes on to say.

Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: "We do need to plan ahead, don't we, in life?"

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?"

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, "I have a spare tire on my car."

"I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

Yeah we are gonna see this more and more. How can you care so little about people and represent them ?

bjkeefe
05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
It's not just Kansas. Latest I've seen comes from Louisiana (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/05/louisiana_house_committee_appr_1.html).

stephanie
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Yep, I'll give you this one.

If I have to be on the pill in case I get raped, though, shouldn't we stop attacking Planned Parenthood and the federal funding thereof? Oh, right, the gov't doesn't pay for Pete's spare tire, is that it?

I'm also wondering a little about the HPV shot and whether Pete is against it (as I understand some are). Isn't that part of preparing? I guess it doesn't implicate abortion, though.

Ocean
05-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep, I'll give you this one.

If I have to be on the pill in case I get raped, though, shouldn't we stop attacking Planned Parenthood and the federal funding thereof? Oh, right, the gov't doesn't pay for Pete's spare tire, is that it?

I'm also wondering a little about the HPV shot and whether Pete is against it (as I understand some are). Isn't that part of preparing? I guess it doesn't implicate abortion, though.

We could also distribute condoms to prospective rapists, unless they're Catholic or something.

It's interesting how much craziness this kind of craziness elicits. Where are the feminists when we need them???!!!

popcorn_karate
05-25-2011, 04:13 PM

I'd like to like Pz, that post definitely helps.

uncle ebeneezer
05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Well we can chalk this up to a lightning-strike/broken-clock/outlier event! :)

When I read the types of statements like DeGraaf made by pro-lifers, I often wonder if they have ever known someone who was raped or had an abortion, or if they are just incredibly cruel. The utter heartlessness that some people invoke in protecting "life" is something that I will never understand.

handle
05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Well we can chalk this up to a lightning-strike/broken-clock/outlier event! :)

When I read the types of statements like DeGraaf made by pro-lifers, I often wonder if they have ever known someone who was raped or had an abortion, or if they are just incredibly cruel. The utter heartlessness that some people invoke in protecting "life" is something that I will never understand.

It's pure Christian fundamentalist marketing, More abortions means fewer new and malleable flock members, and has the added detriment of challenging patriarchal tenets. They want everyone to turn to the church for everything. It's good for business, and contributions are tax deductible!
If you are feeling bad, or having bouts of conscience concerning not supporting rape victims, committing crimes, or trespassing against others, or committing rape, the church provides forgiveness directly from jesus, and those you have wronged are cut out of the loop! It's perfect, and since you are let off the hook, and only human, what's to prevent you from repeating the process?
Who could forget the push toward "faith-based" solutions during the Bush years? Just give them the tax dollars, and boom! Problems solved! What could possibly go wrong? Christians, by definition, are the most moral people on earth, and would never lie, cheat, or steal... much.