PDA

View Full Version : Hitchens On Losing His Voice

uncle ebeneezer
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
At least he can still write (http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/06/christopher-hitchens-unspoken-truths-201106?currentPage=1).

bjkeefe
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
At least he can still write (http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/06/christopher-hitchens-unspoken-truths-201106?currentPage=1).

Thanks for that. A good read.

chiwhisoxx
05-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for passing that along. I thought the opening paragraph was some of the most amazingly brilliant writing I've seen in a long time.

uncle ebeneezer
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
You're welcome. Yeah, Hitch is one of those people who is so eloquent that it's hard not to like him even if you vehemently disagree with his views.

stephanie
05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
You're welcome. Yeah, Hitch is one of those people who is so eloquent that it's hard not to like him even if you vehemently disagree with his views.

Yeah, basically. Thanks for the link.

TwinSwords
05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I can't read the article now, but the news is just devastating. Not just the voice, but the whole illness.

rcocean
05-11-2011, 10:54 PM

All this praise for CH? Really? He was always a shallow writer. A 2nd Rate English Intellectual who couldn't compete in England, so he came here, where anyone with an Oxford accent is considered smart. And he never was a very persuasive speaker, except to those in the choir.

But its good to see that he's bearing up so well. And its good he's not asking for sympathy, especially after he's pissed on the grave of so many he disliked. I thought his "cancer tour" was rather pathetic (look at me, I got cancer!) but he seems to have toned it down and gone into "stiff upper lip" mode.

So I hope he doesn't die.

I thought the piece was typical Hitchens.

chiwhisoxx
05-11-2011, 10:57 PM
All this praise for CH? Really? He was always a shallow writer. A 2nd Rate English Intellectual who couldn't compete in England, so he came here, where anyone with an Oxford accent is considered smart. And he never was a very persuasive speaker, except to those in the choir.

But its good to see that he's bearing up so well. And its good he's not asking for sympathy, especially after he's pissed on the grave of so many he disliked. I thought his "cancer tour" was rather pathetic (look at me, I got cancer!) but he seems to have toned it down and gone into "stiff upper lip" mode.

Wow. You're free to your opinions about his skill as a writer and a speaker (although I'm guessing most people would disagree with you) but maybe don't imply he's pimping himself because of his illness when you know nothing of his personal motivations or feelings about his own disease. That's ungenerous at best, callous at worst.

operative
05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow. You're free to your opinions about his skill as a writer and a speaker (although I'm guessing most people would disagree with you) but maybe don't imply he's pimping himself because of his illness when you know nothing of his personal motivations or feelings about his own disease. That's ungenerous at best, callous at worst.

rc had to give the "true conservative" perspective. Anyway, I'd second (or third) uncle ebeneezer's thoughts.

uncle ebeneezer
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Ironic that concerns of Hitchen's intellect and attention-seeking, come from a fan of Ann Althouse :)

AemJeff
05-11-2011, 11:22 PM

Better people than you or me have a much higher opinion of Hitchens than you've expressed here. His debate skills seem pretty first class, too. I'd love to see you link to something, anything at all, that even hints at self pity. And, Letters to a Young Contrarian (http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Young-Contrarian-Art-Mentoring/dp/0465030335/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303750186&sr=1-1) is beautiful, transcendent. For somebody who prizes irony, i'd think you'd have a better opinion of this guy, in particular - whether you agree with any of his views, or not.

rcocean
05-11-2011, 11:37 PM

What a puzzling comment. If Hitch stands for anything, its his brutal honesty, his take no prisoners "I'll piss on Mother's Teresa's grave, if I think she deserved it" attitude. He's never given a damn what others think, or how offensive his comments are. And he's always been willing to strike any blow, above or below the belt, at those he thought deserved it.

He'd regard your "Little Lord Fauntleroy" attitude with amused contempt.

rcocean
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Better people than you or me have a much higher opinion of Hitchens than you've expressed here. His debate skills seem pretty first class, too. I'd love to see you link to something, anything at all, that even hints at self pity. And, Letters to a Young Contrarian (http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Young-Contrarian-Art-Mentoring/dp/0465030335/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303750186&sr=1-1) is beautiful, transcendent. For somebody who prizes irony, i'd think you'd have a better opinion of this guy, in particular - whether you agree with any of his views, or not.

Well, speak for yourself. His debating skills were very poor. Bob Wright mopped the floor with him on BHTV, A.C. Grayling destroyed him, and numerous others have made him look like a shallow windbag. Looking back, its hard to find a Hitch interview or debate where he didn't come off as half-drunk.

I think that was part of his charm. Some people were titillated or amused that someone would get up in public "and say that!". Of course, others - the "slower" members of the audience - thought he was an eloquent genius. After all, this is a country where millions think Bill "the Dogface Boy" Maher is funny and wait for it... smart.

And here's a link (http://christopherhitchenswatch.blogspot.com/)

Wonderment
05-12-2011, 04:19 AM
I agree that the hit piece on Chomsky was singularly atrocious. Well, not singularly. Hitchens has always been a dirty-fighting polemicist, unafraid of hitting below the belt and bashing the be-Jesus out of revered religious leaders like Mother Teresa and the Dalai Lama.

I think he is a very talented writer, but his work has displayed a disturbing degree of cruelty, a whole lot of windbaginess and a tinge of "New Atheist"-style Islamophobia.

It's no fun to say unkind things about someone dying of esophageal cancer, so I'll refrain from a longer list of grievances against Hitchens. Suffice for eternity, however, is his unwavering support for the Bush adventure in Iraq.

Hitchens' War on Chomsky dates back to those post-9/11 days, so it's unsurprising that he's still trying to settle scores in the aftermath of Bin Laden's death.

popcorn_karate
05-12-2011, 05:58 PM
What a puzzling comment. If Hitch stands for anything, its his brutal honesty, his take no prisoners "I'll piss on Mother's Teresa's grave, if I think she deserved it" attitude. He's never given a damn what others think, or how offensive his comments are. And he's always been willing to strike any blow, above or below the belt, at those he thought deserved it.

nailed it as far as attitude goes, although I don't think he's quite as untalented as you stated in your original comment.

handle
05-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, speak for yourself. His debating skills were very poor. Bob Wright mopped the floor with him on BHTV, A.C. Grayling destroyed him, and numerous others have made him look like a shallow windbag. Looking back, its hard to find a Hitch interview or debate where he didn't come off as half-drunk.
I kind of agree here, but on your earlier comment about "people here" falling for the Oxford accent, I would say they fall for any UK accent, as few of them know the difference between cockney and royalty.

... After all, this is a country where millions think Bill "the Dogface Boy" Maher is funny and wait for it... smart.

I would argue he's funnier and smarter than to use a "dog face boy" type line.

Ocean
05-12-2011, 09:16 PM

And what compels you to become that which you so despise?

rcocean
05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
And what compels you to become that which you so despise?

A rather cryptic comment. Full of unstated assumptions and capable of being read in many different way.

bjkeefe
05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
And what compels you to become that which you so despise?A rather cryptic comment. Full of unstated assumptions and capable of being read in many different way.

Seems pretty plain to me. Observe:

If rcocean stands for anything, it's his brutal honesty, his take no prisoners attitude. He's never given a damn what others think, or how offensive his comments are. And he's always been willing to strike any blow, above or below the belt, at those he thought deserved it.

rcocean
05-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Seems pretty plain to me. Observe:

Really?

Ocean
05-14-2011, 04:00 AM
A rather cryptic comment.

It may have been cryptic, but not grave. ;)

Full of unstated assumptions and capable of being read in many different way.

Your comment came across in a such a way that your criticism seemed to be replicating exactly what you described as Hitchens' flaws. Unless you deeply admire him and your comment was a tribute by emulation.

bjkeefe
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Really?

Yes, really. I wouldn't have said so if not.

bjkeefe
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
It may have been cryptic, but not grave. ;)

LOL!

rcocean
05-14-2011, 02:36 PM
LOL!

So is BJKeefe going to debate anyone on a DV? Or is that too much exposure, and too much risk for you?

operative
05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
So is BJKeefe going to debate anyone on a DV? Or is that too much exposure, and too much risk for you?

It sure looks like BJ isn't going to accept the challenge.