PDA

View Full Version : Obama made Patraeus CIA Director to stop him from running for the GOP nomination: Discuss

rfrobison
05-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I am not sure I believe this one myself, but I have read speculation to this effect. It also begs the question why, if Patraeus had political ambitions, he would take the post.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd throw it out there to see what people think.

operative
05-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I am not sure I believe this one myself, but I have read speculation to this effect. It also begs the question why, if Patraeus had political ambitions, he would take the post.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd throw it out there to see what people think.

Obama certainly has a pattern of making high-level appointments based on political calculations (Hillary as secretary of state, Huntsman as ambassador to China). So I wouldn't be surprised if political considerations influenced his decision.

But everything that I've seen concerning Petraeus screams "no interest in politics." I do not think that Petraeus would've taken the position if he was interested in running for office, but I do not think he has any interest in running for office.

chiwhisoxx
05-11-2011, 12:08 AM
...Petraeus! Gotta change the title before I claw my eyes out.

rfrobison
05-11-2011, 02:38 AM
...Petraeus! Gotta change the title before I claw my eyes out.

Oops. Thought I might be misspelling the general's name, but I thought: Oh well, what the heck?

Trouble is, if you misspell a thread title, you can't fix it, I think.

Ocean
05-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Oops. Thought I might be misspelling the general's name, but I thought: Oh well, what the heck?

Trouble is, if you misspell a thread title, you can't fix it, I think.

Ahem! Do we have to start a Spelling Police thread?

. (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif)

rfrobison
05-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Ahem! Do we have to start a Spelling Police thread?

. (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif)

Knew I'd regret putting my occupation on my user page! :( :D

And nobody even sees fit to discuss my provocative question...

operative
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM

I guess I'm nobody :(

chiwhisoxx
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Sorry, I'll respond!

I just don't really buy it. I think it's possible that there was *some* political calculation from Obama in putting him there, but he's a politician, so I don't think that's surprising. I also never understood why people think Petraeus would be a good candidate to even run against Obama. Do we even know if he's a Republican? If he has some idiosyncratic views, he's far from a lock to even win the Republican nomination. And I think the White House has to know all this, so I just don't see why they'd be terrified of him in the first place.

operative
05-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry, I'll respond!

I just don't really buy it. I think it's possible that there was *some* political calculation from Obama in putting him there, but he's a politician, so I don't think that's surprising. I also never understood why people think Petraeus would be a good candidate to even run against Obama. Do we even know if he's a Republican? If he has some idiosyncratic views, he's far from a lock to even win the Republican nomination. And I think the White House has to know all this, so I just don't see why they'd be terrified of him in the first place.

No one really knows his views. People just presume that he's conservative. I think he's probably more of a moderate conservative, Scott Brown type, but who knows.

miceelf
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
For once, I agree with operative, both in terms of what is most likely and in terms of how certain we can be about it.

rfrobison
05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Oh, yeah, I guess you did have a reply about the matter. Sorry, I got so wrapped up in misspellings and such that I forgot about your post. No offense ;)

rfrobison
05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
For once, I agree with operative, both in terms of what is most likely and in terms of how certain we can be about it.

Mm, well, I don't know any details about Gen. Petraeus' politics, but I saw one CNN report that he is a registered Republican. And The Economist had a piece a couple weeks back speculating that putting him at CIA removes a potentially formidable challenger on the GOP side.

I don't really fault Obama if that's his motive. As Chiwi points out, politicians act politically. No crime in that, though I do wonder if Petraeus wouldn't be better in his current post or as chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

I do think he'd be a very strong candidate -- Republicans love military types. But if he's planning to do an Ike, he's being awfully coy. Maybe Op (Chiwhi and Micelf) are right. To my knowledge Petraeus has never expressed any interest in politics.

On the other hand, maybe he's just biding his time. He'd still be young enough to run in 2016, I suppose. A stint as chief spook didn't hurt George H.W. Bush, after all.

operative
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Mm, well, I don't know any details about Gen. Petraeus' politics, but I saw one CNN report that he is a registered Republican. And The Economist had a piece a couple weeks back speculating that putting him at CIA removes a potentially formidable challenger on the GOP side.

I believe that he has said that he hasn't voted in quite a while--he isn't comfortable with blending politics with his military life, which is quite admirable.

I don't really fault Obama if that's his motive. As Chiwi points out, politicians act politically. No crime in that, though I do wonder if Petraeus wouldn't be better in his current post or as chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

I agree--I can't imagine that his skills and background suit him for the CIA better than his current post or as chairman of the JCoS. Granted, he's a brilliant person and I am sure that he will succeed in whatever capacity he serves, but I just can't help but feel that this does not optimize use of his talents.