PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Maureen

JonIrenicus
05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/opinion/08dowd.html?_r=1

rfrobison
05-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Leave it to Maureen Dowd to accuse GWB of "sulking" in Dallas for declining President Obama's offer to join him at Ground Zero. No doubt if he'd been there, she'd have let him have it for trying to steal Obama's glory and trying to whitewash his sullied history.

Oh well, at least she's right about Osama being evil. Best we can hope for, I suppose.

bjkeefe
05-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Leave it to Maureen Dowd to accuse GWB of "sulking" in Dallas for declining President Obama's offer to join him at Ground Zero.

That view is hardly hers alone. Everything I saw about that, from people who spend their lives watching politics (e.g. (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_05/029309.php)), indicated that pique was a big part of why W declined the President's invitation. The sense came from the flurry of not exactly positive statements about Obama that came from people close to Bush that were planted with the usual stenographers right before the event.

rfrobison
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
That view is hardly hers alone. Everything I saw about that, from people who spend their lives watching politics (e.g. (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_05/029309.php)), indicated that pique was a big part of why W declined the President's invitation. The sense came from the flurry of not exactly positive statements about Obama that came from people close to Bush that were planted with the usual stenographers right before the event.

Eh, maybe. But I suspect Bush would have taken flack regardless. The only statement I read was complimentary toward Obama. And what reasonable person, whatever his politics, wouldn't give any sitting president credit for getting bin Laden?

Personally, I think it says very little good about the state of our politics that we can't seem to celebrate an unalloyed good like the end of Osama What's-His-Name for 30 seconds as Americans without one side or the other trying to get some kind of partisan buzz out of the thing. Maybe it was ever thus, but I certainly don't remember things ever being quite so nasty and petty as they are now. Very sad, and ultimately corrosive, in my opinion.

bjkeefe
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Eh, maybe. But I suspect Bush would have taken flack regardless.

Yes. As has every politician taken flack for every decision made, ever.

The only statement I read was complimentary toward Obama.

As numerous people pointed out concerning that refusal event, it has long been a pattern of Bush's to make a public statement that goes through the motions while at the same time sending out aides to give the "highly-placed sources say" statements that reflect other, more honest reflections of his mindset.

And what reasonable person, whatever his politics, wouldn't give any sitting president credit for getting bin Laden?

I can think of a whole lot of people who have been doing their level best to deny Obama credit for this, or to diminish it as much as possible. I guess I would not call any who I can think of who has done this reasonable, though.

Personally, I think it says very little good about the state of our politics that we can't seem to celebrate an unalloyed good like the end of Osama What's-His-Name for 30 seconds as Americans without one side or the other trying to get some kind of partisan buzz out of the thing. Maybe it was ever thus, but I certainly don't remember things ever being quite so nasty and petty as they are now. Very sad, and ultimately corrosive, in my opinion.

I am of two minds about this. I tend to think that whenever a Democratic president* accomplishes something, there is always an immediate attempt by the RWNM, plus a contingent from the left, to sour it, and that this is not particularly new. However, I do think that with the growth of cable teevee news and the Web, it's a lot easier to get the negative spin out there.

I suppose the latter aspect could be said to mean that things are worse in the sense you describe; I tend to think it's just more noticeable. In many ways, this is a good thing. It's democracy in action! And it can have very positive benefits! (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/trump-i-can-see-now-why-ross-perot-dropped-out-video.php?ref=tn) I think you just have to make more of an effort not to pay as much attention to every last carper.

==========

* I acknowledge that when a Republican president accomplishes something, he doesn't get unanimous, unalloyed praise, either. However, it does seem to me that in these cases, the negative spin from his political opponents is not nearly as loud nor as organized -- it does not come from prominent Democrats or prominent liberal commentators, at least not within the proverbial first thirty seconds.