PDA

View Full Version : You stay classy, Wonkette

chiwhisoxx
04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
http://wonkette.com/443395/greatest-living-american-a-childrens-treasury-of-trig-palin-crap-on-his-birthday

operative
04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
http://wonkette.com/443395/greatest-living-american-a-childrens-treasury-of-trig-palin-crap-on-his-birthday

A pretty good illustration of the classiness and sophistication of the lefty nutroots.

graz
04-20-2011, 06:32 PM
A pretty good illustration of the classiness and sophistication of the lefty nutroots.

It's as if the wonkette photoshopped the collage out of thin air ... oh, wait ... the pics were campaign props of trigonometry the anti-abortion math method.

operative
04-20-2011, 06:39 PM
It's as if the wonkette photoshopped the collage out of thin air ... oh, wait ... the pics were campaign props of trigonometry the anti-abortion math method.

Wait, were you trying to make my point for me?

graz
04-20-2011, 06:51 PM

Again, you fancy yourself classy and chaste. I see you as freakish and an unreliable arbiter of taste or decorum.

operative
04-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Again, you fancy yourself classy and chaste. I see you as freakish and an unreliable arbiter of taste or decorum.

All because I don't like Pollock?

operative
04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
An update:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/04/20/boycotting-wonkette.aspx

Wonkette fails at humor harder than Dane Cook.

bjkeefe
04-20-2011, 07:05 PM
An update:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/04/20/boycotting-wonkette.aspx

LOL! Look at the newly sanctimonious Weigel. Being linked to approvingly by the sort of clown who was calling for his head, seems like just the other day.

graz
04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
An update:

From your link:I have four kids myself and I wouldn't want them mocked on the Internet by a bunch of cretins on the Internet. And that's just one reason why I wouldn't parade my children around in the media. What kind of mother does that?

operative
04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
From your link:

Yeah let's ignore the tastelessness and sliminess of Wonkette and concentrate on assailing Sarah Palin.

How about you condemn Wonkette instead?

graz
04-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah let's ignore the tastelessness and sliminess of Wonkette and concentrate on assailing Sarah Palin.

How about you condemn Wonkette instead?

My resounding condemnation of wonkette hereby invalidates all assholery on the internet.

operative
04-20-2011, 07:16 PM
My resounding condemnation of wonkette hereby invalidates all assholery on the internet.

It's not about the efficacy of improving discourse. It's about recognizing that mocking the disabled children of politicians with whom you disagree is inappropriate.

TwinSwords
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
ROFL.

chiwhisoxx
04-20-2011, 07:40 PM

I think I agree with your sentiment here, but I'd be more sympathetic if I wasn't constantly being asked to condemn random shit I had nothing to do with. YOU NEVER CONDEMNED ANDREW BREITBART 4 SHIRLEY SHERRODDDDD!!!!11111 Who the fuck am I? Why does it matter if I condemn anyone? Maybe we can just have a moratorium on asking people to condemn shit they had nothing to do with.

operative
04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I think I agree with your sentiment here, but I'd be more sympathetic if I wasn't constantly being asked to condemn random shit I had nothing to do with. YOU NEVER CONDEMNED ANDREW BREITBART 4 SHIRLEY SHERRODDDDD!!!!11111 Who the fuck am I? Why does it matter if I condemn anyone? Maybe we can just have a moratorium on asking people to condemn shit they had nothing to do with.

I actually do sympathize with this view to a degree. I don't expect every liberal member to come here and say "I condemn Wonkette." But if one chooses to participate, and takes the time to knock Sarah Palin, I think one ought to at least acknowledge the utter scumbaggery of Wonkette.

Wonderment
04-21-2011, 02:01 AM
"We did pass (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0411/HuffPost_bans_Trig_Truthers.html) on a submission by Geoffrey Dunn about Trig, as it ran counter to our policy against conspiracy theories," Huffington Post spokesman Mario Ruiz confirmed in an email.

rfrobison
04-21-2011, 05:20 AM

I utterly disavow, and unequivocally condemn the above comment :D

Not really, just thought I'd beat anyone who was going to blame me for not doing so to the punch.

Ocean
04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
I utterly disavow, and unequivocally condemn the above comment .

And I denounce your comment for lack of solidarity!

Ahhh... the inevitability of destiny. ;)

operative
04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Some commentary by Jim Geraghty:
http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/265346/even-worst-political-hacks-are-people-too

stephanie
04-21-2011, 03:56 PM

Where? I'm all for the last sentence, but as I've mentioned to you before, I don't think anyone expects you to condemn anyone. My memory -- which could well be flawed -- is only coming up with examples of Operative wanting people condemned (there was Helen Thomas before this) and good ol' Lyle being all convinced that everyone who let more than half an hour pass without condemning Islamic terrorism was a secret supporter.

Now, I will admit that I think that if someone says something enormously offensive and other posters say nothing at all in opposition (or even, noted but not something I want to get into, as I did once or twice with Whatfur's sexist and homophobic insults) and then continue interacting with the poster in an approving way, I do think there's implied support for the offensive stuff. Similarly, if you link someone a bunch, I think you may have to deal with some of their problematic views, although I also think it's a judgment call how far someone has to go so that a particular statement or statements makes citing them generally a thorny thing to do. But these are specific situations.

chiwhisoxx
04-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Where? I'm all for the last sentence, but as I've mentioned to you before, I don't think anyone expects you to condemn anyone. My memory -- which could well be flawed -- is only coming up with examples of Operative wanting people condemned (there was Helen Thomas before this) and good ol' Lyle being all convinced that everyone who let more than half an hour pass without condemning Islamic terrorism was a secret supporter.

You haven't been here that long, and you might have a bad memory. It happens plenty. Not going to waste my time digging through archives to find it. But it happens.

stephanie
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
You haven't been here that long, and you might have a bad memory. It happens plenty. Not going to waste my time digging through archives to find it. But it happens.

Based on join date I've been here longer than you, actually, although granted I've only participated off and on during that time.

(I edited, btw.)

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Flying H. Spaghetti Monster, is it possible you're really that lacking in self-awareness? If there's anyone else on this board who demands more condemnation than you, they've escaped my attention.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
From your link:

LOL! graz FTW.

chiwhisoxx
04-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Flying H. Spaghetti Monster, is it possible you're really that lacking in self-awareness? If there's anyone else on this board who demands more condemnation than you, they've escaped my attention.

I'm not sure how much time I go around saying "PLEASE CONDEMN X" in a vacuum. I have issues with hypocrisy here; it usually comes from someone pointing out some crazy right winger as a rejoinder to some argument (the guilt by pundit association card is a cousin of the failure to condemn argument) and then I ask why they don't condemn/dissociate with crazy left winger X. Maybe I shouldn't do that, and I'm not claiming perfection here. But it doesn't happen in a vacuum, and context matters.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure how much time I go around saying "PLEASE CONDEMN X" in a vacuum. I have issues with hypocrisy here; it usually comes from someone pointing out some crazy right winger as a rejoinder to some argument (the guilt by pundit association card is a cousin of the failure to condemn argument) and then I ask why they don't condemn/dissociate with crazy left winger X. Maybe I shouldn't do that, and I'm not claiming perfection here. But it doesn't happen in a vacuum, and context matters.

I will grant that you do not often "go around saying 'PLEASE CONDEMN X' in a vacuum."

Once again, you're arguing what in another field would be called the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law, and I'm not going to waste my time while you once again wriggle around in that fashion.

chiwhisoxx
04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
I will grant that you do not often "go around saying 'PLEASE CONDEMN X' in a vacuum."

Once again, you're arguing what in another field would be called the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law, and I'm not going to waste my time while you once again wriggle around in that fashion.

You're right, actually. It's splitting hairs. I shouldn't have spent so much time doing it, and hopefully won't in the future. Hopefully other people feel the same way, and we can spend less time discussing people who don't post or diavlog here.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
You're right, actually. It's splitting hairs. I shouldn't have spent so much time doing it, and hopefully won't in the future. Hopefully other people feel the same way, and we can spend less time discussing people who don't post or diavlog here.

Fair enough. Thanks for acknowledging.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Some of you may be interested in re-clicking that link.

operative
04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Some of you may be interested in re-clicking that link.

Yup, I totally think they're being sincere. Totally.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Yup, I totally think they're being sincere. Totally.

You, and no doubt platoons of other fauxtraged wingnuts, made your complaint, the post got pulled, and you got an apology. Not sure what else you think you're entitled to, you uptight little twerp.

operative
04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
You, and no doubt platoons of other fauxtraged wingnuts, made your complaint, the post got pulled, and you got an apology.

BJ, don't look now but your raging hypocrisy is showing.

Wonkette made a ridiculously nasty post, proceeded to defend it several times even as some fellow lefties condemned it for its tastelessness. Then, after they became afraid that their advertisers might dry up, they came out with this.

Sorry but that's just the face of the nutroots: vicious, tasteless attacks. You don't get to walk away from that.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
[...]

Ah, crap. There is one person and one person only responsible for Baby Trigus jokes -- Sarah Palin, who turned him into a non-stop campaign prop and, as you wingnuts would say, rammed him down our throats.

Until you admit that, there is nothing to discuss.

operative
04-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Ah, crap. There is one person and one person only responsible for Baby Trigus jokes -- Sarah Palin, who turned him into a non-stop campaign prop and, as you wingnuts would say, rammed him down our throats.

Yeah, let's blame the victim. Well, the victim's mother. It's Sarah Palin's fault that your side is filled with disgusting creeps who get their jollies mocking a child's disabilities.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 06:49 PM
[...]

No, let's blame Sarah Palin, who is the furthest thing from a victim. She is, in fact, a boil on the ass of the United States, and sadly, all too representative of what we politely call "the GOP's base" these days.

operative
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
No, let's blame Sarah Palin, who is the furthest thing from a victim. She is, in fact, a boil on the ass of the United States, and sadly, all too representative of what we politely call "the GOP's base" these days.

Liking or disliking Sarah Palin has nothing to do with mocking her disabled child, something that you can't seem to understand.

bjkeefe
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
[...]

You must have missed it the first time, due to all of your furious typing about hate cults apart from your own:

operative
04-21-2011, 11:22 PM
You must have missed it the first time, due to all of your furious typing about hate cults apart from your own:

You continue to blame Sarah Palin for your side's scumbaggery. Which just outs you as a scumbag. I'm guessing you were the pig shouting vulgarities at a 14 year old girl at a Tea Party rally.

graz
04-22-2011, 12:44 AM
... scumbaggery ... scumbag ... I'm guessing a Tea Party rally.Me too.

bjkeefe
04-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Me too.

Also, too:

... blame Sarah Palin ...

bjkeefe
04-22-2011, 08:52 AM
It's not about the efficacy of improving discourse. It's about recognizing that mocking the disabled children of politicians with whom you disagree is inappropriate.

Something about ...

... fascist PC goons.

... comes to mind.

operative
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Something about ...

... comes to mind.

So, when I mock and deride the disabled children of said fascist PC goons, you'll have a case to make :)