PDA

View Full Version : Tap the Strategic Petroleum Reserve?

Simon Willard
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
No, no, no, I say. Never.

The purpose of this thread is to give me an opportunity to vent at any commenters who approve of tapping into the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Ocean
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM

The purpose of this thread is to give me an opportunity to vent at any commenters who approve of tapping into the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Jeez. And my contrarian streak is over! ;)

bjkeefe
03-11-2011, 10:19 PM

I never say never, but I applaud the general spirit. This chronic "debate" is even dumber than the one over earmarks. Almost no one who participates has any idea of scale.

operative
03-11-2011, 11:29 PM

I say you're right.

Simon Willard
03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I say you're right.

Damn, no one wants to argue! ;)

bjkeefe
03-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Damn, no one wants to argue! ;)

I'm actually surprised no one picked up the gauntlet you threw down.

nikkibong
03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
temporary gas tax holiday, please. 4.00-per-gallon gas is a huge strain on anyone making an income that is at or below the median.

of course, obama's brave stand (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/29/politics/main4056059.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_4056059) AGAINST working people's interests back in '08 was applauded by the elite media . . . so i'm not holding my breath. although i am breathless every time i pass a service station.

bjkeefe
03-12-2011, 01:20 PM
temporary gas tax holiday, please.

An idea almost as bad as tapping the SPR. (A) It's much better for people to get used to the reality that gas prices are going nowhere but up, and (B) the amount of savings per person is trivial, especially compared to the effect of the lost revenues when all those small amounts are added together.

operative
03-12-2011, 02:53 PM
temporary gas tax holiday, please. 4.00-per-gallon gas is a huge strain on anyone making an income that is at or below the median.

of course, obama's brave stand (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/29/politics/main4056059.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_4056059) AGAINST working people's interests back in '08 was applauded by the elite media . . . so i'm not holding my breath. although i am breathless every time i pass a service station.

I hate to say it, but bj is right. We have to get used to higher gas prices. You can't do that by little gimmicks, which is what the temporary gas tax holiday would amount to.