PDA

View Full Version : Paul Haggis, Scientology

chiwhisoxx
02-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Excellent article from the New Yorker interviewing Paul Haggis, a hollywood director who defected from the church of scientology.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all

badhatharry
02-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Excellent article from the New Yorker interviewing Paul Haggis, a hollywood director who defected from the church of scientology.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all

Hmmm. 35 years with the Church and it took Prop8 to change his mind? I guess the aliens and the volcano (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu) were good with him.

Hooray for Hollywood.

badhatharry
02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
not such a hot topic, eh?

chiwhisoxx
02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
not such a hot topic, eh?

Guess not! Everyone really, really ought to read the piece though. Can't recommend it highly enough. It's been flying around the web, so maybe everyone just saw it somewhere else already.

AemJeff
02-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Guess not! Everyone really, really ought to read the piece though. Can't recommend it highly enough. It's been flying around the web, so maybe everyone just saw it somewhere else already.

I read it, I was glad it was linked here. There's not much to say except the more embarrassing Scientology news, the better.

chiwhisoxx
02-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I read it, I was glad it was linked here. There's not much to say except the more embarrassing Scientology news, the better.

The part that I found really disconcerting was the levels of abuse. I knew they were batshit, but I didn't realize the extent to which serious abuse was systemic within scientology. It moves it beyond a whacky cult into something that really needs to be curtailed.

graz
02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
The part that I found really disconcerting was the levels of abuse. I knew they were batshit, but I didn't realize the extent to which serious abuse was systemic within scientology. It moves it beyond a whacky cult into something that really needs to be curtailed.

That article is all lies! Merely disinformation put forth by haters. You are not evolved enough to accept the training and succes that Scientology affords. Do you have any evidence other than that hearsay? Guess not!

Seriously, all it takes is to know a follower to recognize the cultish and unnatural aspects of that so called "religion".

As to curtailing? Any thoughts on how to initiate that? I imagine it would entail a compromise of sacrosanct principles.

JonIrenicus
02-13-2011, 09:29 PM

I would not call it a piece, more like a tome. I started on it awhile ago but needed to get some other stuff done and have not gotten back to it. I remember peering down the page in horror at the length.

graz
02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I would not call it a piece, more like a tome. I started on it awhile ago but needed to get some other stuff done and have not gotten back to it. I remember peering down the page in horror at the length.

I recall thinking of the word slog as I read it. It might have been improved by editing, but only to punch it up and shape it a bit. As to length, well that speaks to your generation now doesn't it? Sure, engage in marathon video game sessions. But read a full length feature article. Not likely. That's so yesteryear.

handle
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
That article is all lies! Merely disinformation put forth by haters. You are not evolved enough to accept the training and succes that Scientology affords. Do you have any evidence other than that hearsay? Guess not!

Seriously, all it takes is to know a follower to recognize the cultish and unnatural aspects of that so called "religion".

As to curtailing? Any thoughts on how to initiate that? I imagine it would entail a compromise of sacrosanct principles.

You are all so going to get dead agented.
If you defect, they put 115 volts AC through your e-meter, which of course, fries the thetans off you! Still fatal, but you die a clear soul.

popcorn_karate
02-14-2011, 03:54 PM

ditto.

and I found it a fairly engaging article rather than the "slog" that JI found it.