PDA

View Full Version : Obama polling graph: Pretty amazing

Wonderment
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Just from an esthetic point of view (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html)..... it looks spectacular.

But what do the last three weeks' numbers mean? Did Obama remake himself as a centrist? Did he reap the benefits of accomplishments during the Lame Duck Congress? Did he get lucky with the Giffords "opportunity"? Did people suddenly realize the economy is improving? Are the Republicans in more disarray than we thought? Or has nothing really changed?

chiwhisoxx
01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Just from an esthetic point of view (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html)..... it looks spectacular.

But what do the last three weeks' numbers mean? Did Obama remake himself as a centrist? Did he reap the benefits of accomplishments during the Lame Duck Congress? Did he get lucky with the Giffords "opportunity"? Did people suddenly realize the economy is improving? Are the Republicans in more disarray than we thought? Or has nothing really changed?

Most likely reversion to the mean, I think. I'm sure the numbers are soft from the Giffords shooting to some extent, but it's difficult to maintain heated opposition to a President when said President isn't really doing anything. It also seems like lots of first term Presidents got bounces around this time of their presidency, for whatever reason.

TwinSwords
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM

I think it's all of those things, plus - perhaps - one other thing: since the November blowout, the media has slightly softened its stance towards the president. There's a great middle in American politics that really has no interest in the extremism of the GOP. It's my sense that when the media beings to feel we're sliding towards GOP fascism, they try to even out their coverage so it's not quite so favorable to the R's.

handle
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
... said President isn't really doing anything. ..

Or maybe they are starting to see through this sort of spin.

chiwhisoxx
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Or maybe they are starting to see through this sort of spin.

I didn't mean that in a negative sort of way. In fact, I'm guessing most conservatives would complain about the president doing too much, not too little. All I meant was that his name hasn't been in the news in the same way that it was during the health care battle, for example. Obviously there's always going to be media coverage for a president, but the last few weeks have mostly been the shooting and the new members of congress being. There's less to complain about when there's less going on.

Wonderment
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
It's my sense that when the media beings to feel we're sliding towards GOP fascism, they try to even out their coverage so it's not quite so favorable to the R's.

Too bad the MSM missed that boat during Bush-Cheney debacle years.

TwinSwords
01-24-2011, 09:24 PM

LOL. Indeed. I was conscious of this flaw in my observation when I was typing out my post. The way I rationalize the exception is that (1) in 2004, we were still deep in the grip of war fever, and the media reacted accordingly, behaving like cheerleaders. And (2) By 2006, the media had started to come to its senses -- at least as much as they ever do.

Ray in Seattle
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM

The great middle has never shied from supporting an administration engaged in a war that has at least some justification - and even when the justification is complex and not easy to understand they are reluctant to abandon a president fighting that war (Viet Nam). During the Bush-Cheney years where the far left saw no justification I'd say the middle saw enough. They still do and probably more so than Obama.

One thing I think those on the far left and right fail to grasp is that the middle are generally ready to accept the leadership of whoever gets elected by "we the people" under the system we have. They have opinions about how things are being run but they aren't hoping every minute to find some impeachable offense to oust the guy they don't vote for.