PDA

View Full Version : Rose Petals showered on Pakistan Governor murderer

JonIrenicus
01-14-2011, 02:18 PM
http://theusdaily.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=1312357&type=home

I first heard about this story in the recent diavlog with Adam Serwer of all places. It made me wonder though, does an example like this finally persuade people fully that many of the problems in societies like Pakistan come from radical Islamic interpretations and beliefs? Separate and apart from the US?

It is possible to think that and think US involvement is not working, counterproductive, inflating the numbers of radicals... but even accepting all that, the fact that the attempt to roll back blasphemy laws results in murder, and open support and adulation of the murderers actions by chunks of the society, not to mention offers of free legal defense from young lawyers... Does that not suggest a problem with the culture and beliefs of the society? Can you say at least that? About the society, not its reactions to others, but about its own character?

Or do you reject this sort of analysis?

Anyway, I hope that segment of the population is just a vocal minority and that people like this are the stronger faction.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7096IY20110110

bjkeefe
01-14-2011, 02:41 PM
It made me wonder though, does an example like this finally persuade people fully that many of the problems in societies like Pakistan come from radical Islamic interpretations and beliefs? Separate and apart from the US?

I'm sorry. Is there anyone who doesn't already think this? Apart from the radical Muslims themselves, I mean?

JonIrenicus
01-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry. Is there anyone who doesn't already think this? Apart from the radical Muslims themselves, I mean?

It does seem pretty obvious, especially in impossibly clear cases like this, but the amount of pushback I have gotten with a similar point in other contexts is pretty heavy.

bjkeefe
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
It does seem pretty obvious, especially in impossibly clear cases like this, but the amount of pushback I have gotten with a similar point in other contexts is pretty heavy.

I won't say it's 100%, but I will say that the overwhelming majority of the time, the pushback you get along these lines comes in response to statements that are considerably more sweeping.

stephanie
01-14-2011, 06:25 PM
I won't say it's 100%, but I will say that the overwhelming majority of the time, the pushback you get along these lines comes in response to statements that are considerably more sweeping.

That's the point I would make as well.

TwinSwords
01-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I first heard about this story in the recent diavlog with Adam Serwer of all places. It made me wonder though, does an example like this finally persuade people fully that many of the problems in societies like Pakistan come from radical Islamic interpretations and beliefs? Separate and apart from the US?

Huh. Someone got their nuance in your black and white. (? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUIlcNoUy4))