PDA

View Full Version : from Loury & Wax

ledocs
10-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Have you any actual knowledge about Israel? Its politics are among the most secular in the world. Its policies are rather liberal socially--on abortion, gay rights, etc.

Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot. As I have said more than once, I wish the censors would censor stupidity. You are revolting.

Oh, and by the way, Israeli politics are not among the most secular in the world. That is preposterous.

operative
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Can you read, you moron?

Mature.

You are revolting.

Again, mature. Your petulance is unbecoming.

Oh, and by the way, Israeli politics are not among the most secular in the world. That is preposterous.

Right, I mean they totally don't have abortion policies and gay rights policies that are much more in line with Scandinavia than Saudi Arabia, totally.

ledocs
10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Look, operative, I said something about Dershowitz's characterization of Israel's constitutional documents. You did not respond to that. You went off on a tangent. Everyone knows, excepting you, that Israel's religious parties have a hugely disproportionate influence on its politics, and that also results from Israel's parliamentary form of government, from its "constitution." So in that crucial respect, Israel is nothing like Scandinavia, where religion plays almost no role in politics, to my knowledge.

When you brought up the Moe article, which you probably had not even read, you said to me something like, "If you knew anything about the conventions of social science..." Now you ask me, "Do you actually know anything about Israeli politics?" It depends entirely upon one's standards of knowledge, of course. I don't know that much, but I seem to know at least as much, or more than you.

You're right. I am not exhibiting much maturity, because you make me sick. You're a jerk and a phony. But you are henceforth on my IgnoreList. I have no way of controlling my temper here other than ceasing to read the garbage.

Lyle
10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot. As I have said more than once, I wish the censors would censor stupidity. You are revolting.

What if the censors are stupid? What if the censors can't recognized stupidity? What is stupidity? :)

chiwhisoxx
10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
What if the censors are stupid? What if the censors can't recognized stupidity? What is stupidity? :)

Lyle, the first rule of holes is to stop digging.

Lyle
10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Lyle, the first rule of holes is to stop digging.

Harry Caray, what hole is being dug? :)

operative
10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Look, operative, I said something about Dershowitz's characterization of Israel's constitutional documents. You did not respond to that. You went off on a tangent. Everyone knows, excepting you, that Israel's religious parties have a hugely disproportionate influence on its politics, and that also results from Israel's parliamentary form of government, from its "constitution." So in that crucial respect, Israel is nothing like Scandinavia, where religion plays almost no role in politics, to my knowledge.

Except that Israel's social policies are much, much closer to Scandinavia than they are to the Middle East.
I don't know that much, but I seem to know at least as much, or more than you.

Believe me, you don't. Israel isn't my area of focus but I still am confident enough about my knowledge of the area.

From Inglehart Welzel:
Israel .26 .36
data here: http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/wvs/articles/folder_published/article_base_54

That puts them as more secular than such bastions of religisosity as the UK.

You're right. I am not exhibiting much maturity...You're a jerk and a phony. But you are henceforth on my IgnoreList. I have no way of controlling my temper here other than ceasing to read the garbage.

I'd say the salient matter, then, is your lack of self control...

handle
10-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Harry Caray, what hole is being dug? :)

Jesus chi, I gotta apologize for the evil clowns (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/evilclown.htm) of late. Seems they just hate rational people no matter what ideology they may lean toward. I think maybe it's the combination of substance abuse coupled with election year histeria. Or maybe they are, you know, like you said, and I couldn't agree more.

badhatharry
10-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Flame Warriors (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm)is amazing.

handle
10-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Flame Warriors (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm)is amazing.

Yea, and so is this cartoon site (http://xkcd.com/386/) Don Zeko linked from the "comments policy" thread (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=183812#post183812). You gotta read most of them, I did anyway.

handle
10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Yea, and so is this cartoon site (http://xkcd.com/386/) Don Zeko linked from the "comments policy" thread (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=183812#post183812). You gotta read most of them, I did anyway.

And just in case you missed it, here's my new comment strategy (in my mind):
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/venting.png

And I love how you can roll over the image and get commentary like the one for this was:
"P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain."

operative
10-23-2010, 08:19 PM
And just in case you missed it, here's my new comment strategy (in my mind):
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/venting.png

And I love how you can roll over the image and get commentary like the one for this was:
"P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain."

Firefly reference=immediate win.

bjkeefe
10-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Firefly reference=immediate win.

Even more hard to fathom than the idea of getting schooled by Summer Glau has to be the response of Google's Adsense: Buy this book now: "The attack on the white male."

operative
10-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Even more hard to fathom than the idea of getting schooled by Summer Glau has to be the response of Google's Adsense: Buy this book now: "The attack on the white male."

Well to be fair she does attack many white men in Serenity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVqW6J4FRc
I do doubt that that's what they were drawing on though :\

badhatharry
10-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Hmmmm, Summer Glau... I'm hopelessly out of step. Guess I'll have to google it.

operative
10-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Hmmmm, Summer Glau... I'm hopelessly out of step. Guess I'll have to google it.

That is an unforgivable offense. You can however perform some penance by immediately streaming Serenity through Netflix.

badhatharry
10-23-2010, 10:21 PM
That is an unforgivable offense. You can however perform some penance by immediately streaming Serenity through Netflix.

If it's not on the watch instantly list it's a no-go.

Hate to waste one of my rentals...such a dilemma!

operative
10-23-2010, 11:11 PM
If it's not on the watch instantly list it's a no-go.

Hate to waste one of my rentals...such a dilemma!

It's in the watch instantly vault.

badhatharry
10-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks! I'll do it.

bjkeefe
10-24-2010, 02:14 AM
You might also see Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/firefly), for full episodes of the TV show, for free.

Don Zeko
10-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Comment Threads ---> XKCD ---> Firefly. I like our segues. Speaking of, you should be sure to watch Arrested Development while you're using hulu for some remedial cultural education. Also, Fox Delenda Est.

bjkeefe
10-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Comment Threads ---> XKCD ---> Firefly. I like our segues. Speaking of, you should be sure to watch Arrested Development while you're using hulu for some remedial cultural education. Also, Fox Delenda Est.

Every so often, I come across a recommendation for AD from someone whose tastes I respect. Maybe someday -- takes a lot to overcome the inertia I have about starting to watch something new.

Is the last sentence to be taken literally (in which case, roar of approval), or is it a reference to some other show?

Don Zeko
10-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Every so often, I come across a recommendation for AD from someone whose tastes I respect. Maybe someday -- takes a lot to overcome the inertia I have about starting to watch something new.

Is the last sentence to be taken literally (in which case, roar of approval), or is it a reference to some other show?

It's to be taken literally, since Fox is responsible for the early cancellation of both Firefly and Arrested Development. And really, you must overcome your inertia and watch Arrested Development. The first two episodes of season 1 are a sublime beginning to the series, and they maintain that level of quality all the way to the show's cancellation at the end of the shortened 3rd season. Sadly, Season 1 isn't available on Hulu yet, but I'll still provide a link (http://www.hulu.com/watch/12883/arrested-development-afternoon-delight#s-p3-so-i0) to help you out.
http://www.dedleg.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tobias_i_just_blew_myself.jpg

P.S.: The 5-second google image search that produced this picture had me laughing out loud. It's just that funny.

bjkeefe
10-24-2010, 04:16 AM
It's to be taken literally, since Fox is responsible for the early cancellation of both Firefly and Arrested Development.

And for the way they overproduce and clutter baseball games. And for hiring Joe Buck.

And really, you must overcome your inertia and watch Arrested Development. The first two episodes ...

I will try.

badhatharry
10-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Yeah, the thing has morphed from "Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot." to viewing recommendations. I've seen Arrested Development and love it. My daughter turned me on to it.

look
10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, the thing has morphed from "Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot." to viewing recommendations. I've seen Arrested Development and love it. My daughter turned me on to it.This is an old show, but I think 'Malcolm in the Middle' is one of the best sit-coms evah. It's wicked funny.

When my kids were younger, it would come on in the afternoon line-up with shows like 'That's So Raven' and 'Sponge Bob,' so I never paid any attention to it. When I actually watched it a couple years ago, I couldn't believe how funny it was.

claymisher
10-24-2010, 07:29 PM
It's to be taken literally, since Fox is responsible for the early cancellation of both Firefly and Arrested Development. And really, you must overcome your inertia and watch Arrested Development. The first two episodes of season 1 are a sublime beginning to the series, and they maintain that level of quality all the way to the show's cancellation at the end of the shortened 3rd season. Sadly, Season 1 isn't available on Hulu yet, but I'll still provide a link (http://www.hulu.com/watch/12883/arrested-development-afternoon-delight#s-p3-so-i0) to help you out.

DZ, you have very good taste. Afternoon Delight is one of the best. I'd still recommend starting from the beginning though. I think a hundred years from now AD will represent the Bush years better than anything. Just think of all the themes: the real estate bubble, Iraq, plutocracy, idiot sons of successful fathers, and, um, incest. Lots of incest.

You can't blame FOX for canceling it though, it was a dead-last money-loser from the start. They were generous to keep on as long as they did.

operative
10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
DZ, you have very good taste. Afternoon Delight is one of the best. I'd still recommend starting from the beginning though. I think a hundred years from now AD will represent the Bush years better than anything. Just think of all the themes: the real estate bubble, Iraq, plutocracy, idiot sons of successful fathers, and, um, incest. Lots of incest.

You can't blame FOX for canceling it though, it was a dead-last money-loser from the start. They were generous to keep on as long as they did.

They were ok with Arrested Development. They were terrible with Firefly :(

chiwhisoxx
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM

arrested development is the funniest show in the history of television

Don Zeko
10-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Seriously. Missing out on AD is like missing out on Seinfeld or The Simpsons in their respective heydays, except AD is even funnier

badhatharry
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
This is an old show, but I think 'Malcolm in the Middle' is one of the best sit-coms evah. It's wicked funny.

When my kids were younger, it would come on in the afternoon line-up with shows like 'That's So Raven' and 'Sponge Bob,' so I never paid any attention to it. When I actually watched it a couple years ago, I couldn't believe how funny it was.

absolutely true...very funny. I watched an episode not too long ago that was around dominoes and the urge to push them over after someone has laboriously built something with them.

PS I haven't heard 'wicked' used that way since I was a teenage runaway in Massachusettes.

look
10-25-2010, 12:31 AM
absolutely true...very funny. I watched an episode not too long ago that was around dominoes and the urge to push them over after someone has laboriously built something with them.

PS I haven't heard 'wicked' used that way since I was a teenage runaway in Massachusettes.lol I'm old school.

badhatharry
10-25-2010, 12:35 AM
lol I'm old school.

from Mass?

look
10-25-2010, 12:39 AM
from Mass?No, from Ohio, but tbh I don't think I started using 'wicked' till the last 10 years or so (and rarely at that). I'm behind on a lot of things. :)

handle
10-25-2010, 01:06 AM
My new comedy pick: "Bored to Death".

badhatharry
10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
No, from Ohio, but tbh I don't think I started using 'wicked' till the last 10 years or so (and rarely at that). I'm behind on a lot of things. :)

It's very cute, tho, as are you.

stephanie
10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
No, from Ohio, but tbh I don't think I started using 'wicked' till the last 10 years or so (and rarely at that). I'm behind on a lot of things.

Out of curiosity, where are you picking it up from? I don't think of it as outdated (though it might be) but simply regional. It drove me crazy (I can still hear it in the various regional accents) when I was in college in MA. Never heard it outside of MA or very close proximity.

kezboard
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Flame Warriors wins the internet. I think there are more characters there than we have regular posters on this forum, but each one is represented many times over.

Ocean
10-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Flame Warriors wins the internet. I think there are more characters there than we have regular posters on this forum, but each one is represented many times over.

Yes, I looked at it and it was great. I'm sure most of us are a combination of them. Fun!

look
10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Flame Warriors wins the internet. I think there are more characters there than we have regular posters on this forum, but each one is represented many times over.Examples?

Ocean
10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Examples?

look, don't you think that it's fun to have each of us come up with our own ideas? Did you look at them? What did you think?

look
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
It's very cute, tho, as are you.As are you, also. You rock.

look
10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
My new comedy pick: "Bored to Death".I caught maybe the first 10 minutes of the most recent(?) show, and wasn't impressed with Ted Danson. I'd have to give it a chance.

look
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Out of curiosity, where are you picking it up from? I don't think of it as outdated (though it might be) but simply regional. It drove me crazy (I can still hear it in the various regional accents) when I was in college in MA. Never heard it outside of MA or very close proximity.Interesting, I never knew it was prevalent in MA.

Really, I don't remember, but it would be from the media; magazine, movie, tv, etc., but it was not something I grew up with (or was aware of, if it was in my area).

look
10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
look, don't you think that it's fun to have each of us come up with our own ideas? Did you look at them? What did you think?
Them?

I recall you saying a while back that you felt there were sockpuppets about.

Ocean
10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Them?

I recall you saying a while back that you felt there were sockpuppets about.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was referring to Flame Warriors. It's fun to imagine which characters each of us resembles at one time or the other.

look
10-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was referring to Flame Warriors. It's fun to imagine which characters each of us resembles at one time or the other.Oh, I see. I'd seen this or something similar some time back. I'd say all of us comprise several profiles.

handle
10-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I caught maybe the first 10 minutes of the most recent(?) show, and wasn't impressed with Ted Danson. I'd have to give it a chance.

I'm in it for the classic lines, probably why I like House.
Jonathan: "I don't do well with anger, I go straight to depression."

Danson was good on "Damages" another show I liked, that was a commercial flop. So don't listen to me. Besides, I find discussions on personal preferences regarding art and media sort of useless*, unless someone with similar tastes links me to something I haven't seen yet.

*e.g. "Boston? yer crazy man, they suck" or the classic Whatfur putting down the Cars because:
"these guys only know three chords"
As the late great Ray used to say:
"but what does it sound like?"
But what does he know? he's just the King of Soul.

stephanie
10-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Besides, I find discussions on personal preferences regarding art and media sort of useless*, unless someone with similar tastes links me to something I haven't seen yet.

*e.g. "Boston? yer crazy man, they suck" or the classic Whatfur putting down the Cars because:
"these guys only know three chords"
As the late great Ray used to say:
"but what does it sound like?"
But what does he know? he's just the King of Soul.

I like hearing about what others like, and don't mind shared dislikes either (it can be a fun way to find you see eye to eye with someone you disagree with on other topics). I also like reading other people's lists of favorites or comments on lists of favorites (no way that's one of the top 10 albums of the '70s!), and I love discussing books (and feel much more comfortable doing that than trying to go beyond personal taste with music or art).

But, yeah, the types of comments you reference sound pretty useless.

look
10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm in it for the classic lines, probably why I like House.
Jonathan: "I don't do well with anger, I go straight to depression."
Danson was good on "Damages" another show I liked, that was a commercial flop. So don't listen to me. Besides, I find discussions on personal preferences regarding art and media sort of useless*, unless someone with similar tastes links me to something I haven't seen yet.
Heh. I've seen Schwartzman in a couple movies.

Haven't seen (or heard) of Damages. Yeah, you're right about discussing likes and dislikes of shows, etc. Some just hit one wrong. People rave about Grey's Anatomy, but I think it's super dumb.

Seen Breaking Bad? It stars the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle. It's pretty good, but after too long, I would be getting caught up in all these great stories. I heard The Wire is excellent, but I just don't want to get caught up in yet one more story. I'm maxed out from the 90's. Besides, one day, I want to get a super good show and watch, maybe, three episodes in a row till its all played. I have goals. :)

handle
10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I like hearing about what others like, and don't mind shared dislikes either (it can be a fun way to find you see eye to eye with someone you disagree with on other topics). I also like reading other people's lists of favorites or comments on lists of favorites (no way that's one of the top 10 albums of the '70s!), and I love discussing books (and feel much more comfortable doing that than trying to go beyond personal taste with music or art).

But, yeah, the types of comments you reference sound pretty useless.

I never got past the impression that people are trying to impress others with their tastes, but you make a really good point about finding common ground and perhaps gaining insights as to character, thanks.

handle
10-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Heh. I've seen Schwartzman in a couple movies.

Haven't seen (or heard) of Damages. Yeah, you're right about discussing likes and dislikes of shows, etc. Some just hit one wrong. People rave about Grey's Anatomy, but I think it's super dumb.

Seen Breaking Bad? It stars the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle. It's pretty good, but after too long, I would be getting caught up in all these great stories. I heard The Wire is excellent, but I just don't want to get caught up in yet one more story. I'm maxed out from the 90's. Besides, one day, I want to get a super good show and watch, maybe, three episodes in a row till its all played. I have goals. :)

Breaking bad is awesome, give me great actors and writing and I'm in every time.
As for "goals", I have had fun when I discover something I missed, and can rent the DVDs and watch whole seasons in sequence, with no ads, and no week long delays between episodes. Probably my favorite was Six Feet Under. I think you might like Damages, and you can rent it on netflix. Journalists and politicos love The Wire, but it does demand your attention.

look
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Breaking bad is awesome, give me great actors and writing and I'm in every time.
As for "goals", I have had fun when I discover something I missed, and can rent the DVDs and watch whole seasons in sequence, with no ads, and no week long delays between episodes. Probably my favorite was Six Feet Under. I think you might like Damages, and you can rent it on netflix. Journalists and politicos love The Wire, but it does demand your attention.That's exactly the one I have been wanting to watch, one after the other. I've never seen an episode, but the commercials looked right up my alley.

My son loves Breaking Bad. I think I might find The Wire too intense. I've enjoyed a lot of Law and Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue, Third Watch, so I think I'll not try that one. Never saw the Sopranos. I see my son is getting sucked into Boardwalk Empire. Ho Hum. They can do everything so slickly these days that everything is good.

badhatharry
10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
That's exactly the one I have been wanting to watch, one after the other. I've never seen an episode, but the commercials looked right up my alley.

My son loves Breaking Bad. I think I might find The Wire too intense. I've enjoyed a lot of Law and Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue, Third Watch, so I think I'll not try that one. Never saw the Sopranos. I see my son is getting sucked into Boardwalk Empire. Ho Hum. They can do everything so slickly these days that everything is good.

I know how every episode of Law and Order turns out by watching the first ten seconds.

Ever seen Dead Like Me?

look
10-30-2010, 05:19 PM
I know how every episode of Law and Order turns out by watching the first ten seconds.Well when you've seen all the episodes 10 times, that's pretty easy. ;)

Ever seen Dead Like Me?No, but I'll look it up.