PDA

View Full Version : Obama Administration Wants Clean Energy...

rfrobison
10-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Unless the equipment is made in China, (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101016/ap_on_bi_ge/as_china_clean_energy), apparently.

AemJeff
10-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Unless the equipment is made in China, (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101016/ap_on_bi_ge/as_china_clean_energy), apparently.

Is it possible for an entity (say, the U.S. gov't) to have conflicting goals that require decisions to be made that aren't consistent with all of those goals?

rfrobison
10-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Is it possible for an entity (say, the U.S. gov't) to have conflicting goals that require decisions to be made that aren't consistent with all of those goals?

Sure it is. What's more, this one is revelatory. It shows that currying favor with unions trumps environmental concerns. Same with various "buy American" or "prevailing union wage only" provisions in government procurement rules. In those instances, unions trump worries about quality and/or fiscal responsibility.

Nice work if you can get it, as they say.

AemJeff
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Sure it is. What's more, this one is revelatory. It shows that currying favor with unions trumps environmental concerns. Same with various "buy American" or "prevailing union wage only" provisions in government procurement rules. In those instances, unions trump worries about quality and/or fiscal responsibility.

Nice work if you can get it, as they say.

As opposed to concerns about unfair competition and currency value manipulation? Or concern about protecting American wage levels? I tend to think despite the fact that unions are significantly imperfect, the conservative tendency to demonize the organizations designed to protect the interests of working people is overdone, and even a little unseemly.

rfrobison
10-16-2010, 09:09 PM
As opposed to concerns about unfair competition and currency value manipulation? Or concern about protecting American wage levels? I tend to think despite the fact that unions are significantly imperfect, the conservative tendency to demonize the organizations designed to protect the interests of working people is overdone, and even a little unseemly.

I have no particular problem with unions pursuing their economic interests. And for any given interest group, there will always be politicians to pander to it. As a consumer (and notionally, at least, a taxpayer--my taxes are paid in the Land of the Rising Sun), however, I'm irked when the government picks my pocket to pay for those groups' iron rice bowl.

Lest you think I'm merely being partisan, I was just as annoyed when the Bush administration raised tariffs on Chinese steel to win votes in West Virginia, or when politicians of various hues voted for Bush's massive and massively wasteful farm subsidies, or when they imposed the tariffs on cheaper sugar and ethanol from Brazil so that cane farmers in Florida can drain the Everglades to sell us expensive Frosted Flakes and their counterparts in Iowa can fuel our cars with expensive and environmentally dubious gasoline substitutes.

I could go on (and on and on), but you get the picture.

rfrobison
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
And here's a nice follow-up from The Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703431604575522434188603198.html) about our selfless public servants, hard at work. If ever I were tempted to become a Tea Partier, this would be reason enough.

[SIGH]

AemJeff
10-16-2010, 11:42 PM
And here's a nice follow-up from The Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703431604575522434188603198.html) about our selfless public servants, hard at work. If ever I were tempted to become a Tea Partier, this would be reason enough.

[SIGH]

That's about abuse of power, and it's reported to be a bipartisan phenomenon. What about the Tea-Partiers leads you to believe they have a special immunity?

rfrobison
10-16-2010, 11:59 PM
That's about abuse of power, and it's reported to be a bipartisan phenomenon. What about the Tea-Partiers leads you to believe they have a special immunity?

Nothing at all. It's just that I sympathize with the frustrations that such movements grow out of, which, I think, reflect a very real and justified sense that ordinary folks are being cheated; that the game is rigged against them.

Though I'm not AlwaysCynical (TM), I'm enough of a cynic to believe that such movements can never stay pure for long, whatever their followers may want to believe. My only (faint) hope is that, a la Adam Smith, the selfish interests of the pols cancel themselves out and we get an outcome at least vaguely resembling what one would hope for in a world of saints.

Then the cynic takes over and I just see all the liars and crooks scratching each others' backs.

There but for the Grace of God go I.