PDA

View Full Version : re Education Reform

handle
09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Right, WF, If you really posted that piece for the links, then why didn't you say so? You wouldn't be back peddling on a rash linkage now, would you?

OK, since WF insists on chiming in here, I feel I have the right to throw my penny in too (pretty much what it's worth). I don't have a lot of experience in this field, but unlike our illustrious blowhard, I am driven by trying to make sense of things and not some elitist, power hungry corporate management agenda.

What the right wing smoke screen machine is doing here, IMHO, is covering up the fact that this is a case of those that manage things, inching toward absolute power over those that do the actual work in the trenches. And public schools are easy targets, because they have the most exposure.

I bet he will avoid mentioning the fact that most of the administrators (who are also public employees and often make double or triple the teacher salaries) do not belong to the unions, and do not teach. Who is going to test and evaluate them? Since they are the ones doing the evaluating, and hiring/firing, what checks and balances besides union representation are in place to prevent abuse, favoritism, nepotism, and general corruption?

I for one, am someone who can ace tests, but would make a lousy teacher. Do we want to get rid of good, competent people based on this criteria? Or those that might have the courage to take on students who also might not be inclined to score high on tests?

I think, WF, you ought to quit using our schools as a petri dish for your anti-worker agenda, and try to be fair to the people who care enough to take a job you obviously can't do, for a salary you wouldn't settle for.
Maybe you should pick a battle that doesn't shed so much light on your cynical ploy for political power.

look
09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Right, WF, If you really posted that piece for the links, then why didn't you say so? You wouldn't be back peddling on a rash linkage now, would you?

OK, since WF insists on chiming in here, I feel I have the right to throw my penny in too (pretty much what it's worth). I don't have a lot of experience in this field, but unlike our illustrious blowhard, I am driven by trying to make sense of things and not some elitist, power hungry corporate management agenda.

What the right wing smoke screen machine is doing here, IMHO, is covering up the fact that this is a case of those that manage things, inching toward absolute power over those that do the actual work in the trenches. And public schools are easy targets, because they have the most exposure.

I bet he will avoid mentioning the fact that most of the administrators (who are also public employees and often make double or triple the teacher salaries) do not belong to the unions, and do not teach. Who is going to test and evaluate them? Since they are the ones doing the evaluating, and hiring/firing, what checks and balances besides union representation are in place to prevent abuse, favoritism, nepotism, and general corruption?

I for one, am someone who can ace tests, but would make a lousy teacher. Do we want to get rid of good, competent people based on this criteria? Or those that might have the courage to take on students who also might not be inclined to score high on tests?

I think, WF, you ought to quit using our schools as a petri dish for your anti worker agenda, and try to be fair to the people who care enough to take a job you obviously can't do, for a salary you wouldn't settle for.
Maybe you should pick a battle that doesn't shed so much light on your cynical ploy for political power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5URYhXE55bo&feature=related

handle
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5URYhXE55bo&feature=related

Well played Mr. Jabberwock (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=176157&highlight=jabberwock#post176157).
So you are doing damage control for the WF eh?... good for you! Nice to see I hit an exposed nerve.

Be careful though, I'm pretty sure you are engaging in the "bad tactics" you accused me of. I suppose it's a "good tactic" if you employ it, right?

You should be commended for trying to civilize him, but I fear you are risking a reverse effect on you.

Don't forget your advice on "not responding" to those who "irritate" you! After all, as you so astutely pointed out, it's not "rocket science".

graz
09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Well played Mr. Jabberwock (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=176157&highlight=jabberwock#post176157).
So you are doing damage control for the WF eh?... good for you! Nice to see I hit an exposed nerve.

Be careful though, I'm pretty sure you are engaging in the "bad tactics" you accused me of. I suppose it's a "good tactic" if you employ it, right?

You should be commended for trying to civilize him, but I fear you are risking a reverse effect on you.

Don't forget your advice on "not responding" to those who "irritate" you! After all, as you so astutely pointed out, it's not "rocket science".

Look has a nanny exemption.

look
09-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Don't forget your advice on "not responding" to those who "irritate" you! After all, as you so astutely pointed out, it's not "rocket science".You didn't irritate me. But you are correct, I was engaging in the bad tactic of teasing, albeit in an affectionate, good-natured manner, in case you didn't get the joke.

My post had nothing to do with aiding or defending Fur.

look
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Look has a nanny exemption.If you've something to say graz, please be gentleman enough to say it directly to me.

handle
09-02-2010, 06:32 PM
You didn't irritate me. But you are correct, I was engaging in the bad tactic of teasing, albeit in an affectionate, good-natured manner, in case you didn't get the joke.

My post had nothing to do with aiding or defending Fur.

Actually, I'm theorizing that you are making an effort to keep his foot away from the vicinity of his humongous pie hole, based more on recent activity, than just that post. I could be wrong... good luck in any case.

Perhaps I'm a being somewhat vacuous, but linking to a video seems a little ambiguous, not to mention lacking in obvious (to me anyway) intent, or nature of any kind. Some text might help the context.

So correct me if I'm wrong here... you were the guy on the table, yes?
Sorry... just "teasing" you back.

look
09-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Actually, I'm theorizing that you are making an effort to keep his foot away from the vicinity of his humongous pie hole, based more on recent activity, than just that post. I could be wrong... good luck in any case.No. He who lives by the mouth shall perish by the mouth. Fur can take care of himself, in any case.Perhaps I'm a being somewhat vacuous, but linking to a video seems a little ambiguous, not to mention lacking in obvious (to me anyway) intent, or nature of any kind. Some text might help the context.For the first time in a long time you made a sensible post. I was jokingly saying you were 'alive,' ie, using your brain, instead of braindeadedly trolling Fur.So correct me if I'm wrong here... you were the guy on the table, yes?
Sorry... just "teasing" you back.:)

graz
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
http://smstemplates.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/yawn.gif

look
09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
http://smstemplates.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/yawn.gifThat's better.

handle
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
No. He who lives by the mouth shall perish by the mouth. Fur can take care of himself, in any case.For the first time in a long time you made a sensible post. I was jokingly saying you were 'alive,' ie, using your brain, instead of braindeadedly trolling Fur.:)

The brain death, I think, is from beating my head against his thick skull.
Thanks for the clarification.
:)Happy labor day :)

eeeeeeeli
09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Whatfur, I think we've tangled before. I'm reminded by your aggressively accusatory tone and ungenerous reading of my response. Whether or not your points are valid, I'm not interested in debating with anyone who I feel is unwilling to engage in mutually respectful dialogue. Life is too short.

AemJeff
09-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Whatfur, I think we've tangled before. I'm reminded by your aggressively accusatory tone and ungenerous reading of my response. Whether or not your points are valid, I'm not interested in debating with anyone who I feel is unwilling to engage in mutually respectful dialogue. Life is too short.

Another one bites the dust!

Whatfur
09-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Another one bites the dust!

Another thoughtful comment from the authority on everything and the master of nothing.

Whatfur
09-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Yes, you disappeared when faced with the truth that time also. That's fine.

Don Zeko
09-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Just keep telling yourself that Fur. Maybe you'll make it true.

eeeeeeeli
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're accusing me of only saying I don't like your debating style so as to cover up for having inferior arguments, and then avoiding you. No, I don't like debating people who assume that I am lying to them, or that I am stupid.

If you really think this, then why would you be interested in debating me yourself? Is it to feed your own sense of self-worth? Because it may be news to you, but dishonest, ignorant a-holes don't learn very well. I would likely just become even more defensive and bitter. What's more, most people following our debate would realize what a dick I was immediately. It isn't that hard to spot. Would you be hoping then to impress them with the skill with which you dispatch me? I think to the contrary, most reasonable people pity those unfortunate enough to be caught trying to reason with trolls, i.e. people who are unserious. Thus the standard caution: don't feed the trolls. They just bring down the level of discussion.

Which may be exactly what I am doing. But I hope by attempting to engage you on process, you might have a clearer picture of what I - and likely others - find troublesome with your attitude.

Whatfur
09-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Eli,

Wow I guess life isn't as short as you once thought. ;o)

First, I wasn't originally asking for any type of discussion here. I merely provided a link to an editorial that included a half dozen other links. I didn't expect you to have much use for the editorial but the links provided some interesting background that I seriously thought yourself or your vlog partner might have some use for. If you had not responded to my "tidbits", you would never have heard any more from me. But, you not only responded, but you did so with statements that I found perplexing and thought they greatly distorted what actually was said...and I explained why. The most "aggressive" words I used in my rebuttal, above suggesting that you were shooting the messenger, was "ridiculously errant". My smartass tone in that same paragraph was perpetuated by what I thought was a a blatent attempt by you to misrepresent what I linked to. Maybe that is your "debating style".

You then respond to this, possibly pumped up by my personal troll(s), instead of by addressing my disputes but by pretending to be on some high road while dismissing me and them. How would you have me react to that?

Concerning our previous, I suggest you go read that again also (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=175534)...it reads much like this one. I have no apologies for that one either.

Whatfur
09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Just keep telling yourself that Fur. Maybe you'll make it true.

Zeke, go read the originally linked to article then read my problems with eli's response to it and let me know where you think I deviated from the truth. Until then, you can either be a little girl, ignorantly piling on when you feel the water is safe or you can STFU.

eeeeeeeli
09-04-2010, 08:39 PM
"You then respond to this, possibly pumped up by my personal troll(s), instead of by addressing my disputes but by pretending to be on some high road while dismissing me and them. How would you have me react to that?"

Look, I took issue with how you responded to me. I may be completely wrong. You took that as a validation of your points. I suppose it is possible that you overwhelmed me with your awesome ideas. I don't feel that way. I feel like I read your responses and realized I was never going to get anywhere with you.
Cheers.

graz
09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Zeke, go read the originally linked to article then read my problems with eli's response to it and let me know where you think I deviated from the truth. Until then, you can either be a little girl, ignorantly piling on when you feel the water is safe or you can STFU.

Look, I took issue with how you responded to me. I may be completely wrong. You took that as a validation of your points. I suppose it is possible that you overwhelmed me with your awesome ideas. I don't feel that way. I feel like I read your responses and realized I was never going to get anywhere with you.
Cheers.

Eli's response is as good and respectful as it's ever gonna get for you. Take it as a hint to quit while your way behind. Find another pastime. You can go out calling yourself the winner ... if it makes a difference. It sucks for everyone else that you can't see the truth of it. Catch a clue old man ... DIAF already.

Whatfur
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
"You then respond to this, possibly pumped up by my personal troll(s), instead of by addressing my disputes but by pretending to be on some high road while dismissing me and them. How would you have me react to that?"

Cheers.

Once again. That's fine.

graz
09-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Once again. That's fine.

No it's not. Your first had to claim victory (twice), excuse your crudeness by pointing to others and act as if it wasn't anything but a public service ... supplying links ... that's all. You suck and everybody knows it word salad shooter.

popcorn_karate
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM

yep.

all the absolute worst people i've dealt with in education have been administrators. handing more power to the least competent element of the education system doesn't seem likely to improve things very much. They usually got to where they are by having no ability to teach, and so were promoted to the level of their incompetence.

Whatfur
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
yep.

all the absolute worst people i've dealt with in education have been administrators. handing more power to the least competent element of the education system doesn't seem likely to improve things very much. They usually got to where they are by having no ability to teach, and so were promoted to the level of their incompetence.

First, please don't feed the trolls.

Second, new spin on....those who can't do, teach ...those who can't teach become administrators. Looks like an interesting documentary is coming out done by the same guy who produced "An Inconvenient Truth" called "Waiting for Superman". (http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/) Its being talked about on conservative sites so be careful...

Whatfur
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Enter troll:

handle
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
First, please don't feed the trolls.

Second, new spin on....those who can't do, teach ...those who can't teach become administrators. Looks like an interesting documentary is coming out done by the same guy who produced "An Inconvenient Truth" called "Waiting for Superman". (http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/) Its being talked about on conservative sites so be careful...

Let's go back in the thread and see who was trolling with his crap links, shall we?

So maybe you could back off the Unions, herr fur'er?
But wait, who staffs the school board? And who elects the superintendent? Why in most cases, we the people of the United States of America, most of which you seem to have a real problem with.

BTW, I don't have a problem with conservative, I have a problem with you extreme tea partiers, or has it gone all the way back to the "party of god" again?
I watched our "honor" get "restored" a while back, so don't try to deny it.

BTWW, I just can't contain my glee (sorry Look) anymore, seems like you've been hitting some walls with some of our esteemed female posters of late... having seen first hand examples of your sexism over the years, I've enjoyed reading these exchanges very much. I like to imagine your face turning a lovely shade of bright purple... It's OK , your day will come, "dear". :)

Palen Beck 2012!

handle
09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
...troll.

Now go back in your hole!

AemJeff
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Enter troll:

I'm pretty certain that's a word whose definition 'fur doesn't really have a handle on.

Whatfur
09-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm pretty certain that's a word whose definition 'fur doesn't really have a handle on.

My, my here is Mr. Funk and Wagnall.
Tell you what mush mouth, I am seriously thinking that I start doing to you what graz and handle do to me. Yep, you have got it.

AemJeff
09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Tell you what mush mouth, I am seriously thinking that I start doing to you what graz and handle do to me. Yep, you have got it.

I hope you understand how little that matters to me, or anyone else.

Whatfur
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I hope you understand how little that matters to me, or anyone else.

We will see won't we. Not worried about "anyone else". You really are not very bright.

then post more nonsense, to bury your sins.

look
09-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Tell you what mush mouth, I am seriously thinking that I start doing to you what graz and handle do to me. Yep, you have got it.Please reconsider; a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

look
09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
The brain death, I think, is from beating my head against his thick skull.
Thanks for the clarification.
:)Happy labor day :)
;)

Lazy Labor Day, visiting family in Ohio. Saw a Pirates/Braves game last night...Pirates got creamed. Got an interesting lesson from a Pirates fan who was totally pissed that the Pirates are used basically as a farm team, with the salary cap allowing Pittsburgh to be subsidized. The 'genius' being that surrounding cities will visit Pittsburgh to see their teams play, because the prices are better. I thought it was a pretty good crowd considering a poor team on a Wednesday night. Went with my sis, son, and niece. My son and I are planning on visiting all the ball parks...eventually!!!

graz
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Please reconsider; a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
And what the fuck has he been doing to date, scoldylocks (or the arbitress ... if you'd prefer)? Oh yeah ... I forgot ... your monitoring is on a case by case basis with subjective enforcement. Birds of a feather ... complain together ... waaaaahhhhh.

Whatfur
09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Please reconsider; a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Thanks, well I thought ignoring graz and handle might work but as you can see although I continue in that arena, they have now formed a little girls club and continue their harrassment. Jeff, the coward that he is, has jumped in one 2 many times to feed these trolls and like he says it won't matter to him if like those two boobs I start harrassing his posts with constant insult. I think its time he feels a little of what I have put up with day in and day out for months.

As for graz, I can see he is a little confused. He tries to equate his targetted, non-sensical, harrassment to my involvment here. Aint' he a rattle? ;o) All's I can suggest to you for a response to him would be a linking to maybe Joyce Sim's version of "Who's crying now?".

handle
09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
....Who's crying now...

Speaking of re-gifting the medicine... here's a tired ploy from poor dipshits hit parade (see above).
See how his true colors shine brilliantly in the full illumination of his rage?
Exquisite, I must say.
We all exist here on a level playing field, and it's tragic that your bullshit just doesn't wash most of the time. Even more tragic is the fact that you are too blind or too brainwashed to see it, and you just can't contain your irritation with those who hold up the mirror.
So go ahead and vent, babyfur, it's your tea party, and you can cry if you want to. But don't forget, you are the one who barged in on this thread, linking to your inane echo chamber horseshit, and were just too weak to weather the blowback.