PDA

View Full Version : Best of BHTV?

prx
08-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi All,
Long time podcaster (late 07) but have only recently started visiting the site. Getting a big kick out of revisiting some of the 07 and 08 diavlogs.

My Q- is there a list of best of BHTV or bhtv classic diavlogs on the site? Dont know how you'd track that, "most viewed" or "highest rated" are some of the stats you'd use at other sites, I suppose, but I was hoping someone had done a qualitative review and made a list of the real gems- a top ten list maybe. Help?

Here's my list
Any Achenbach or Kaus diavlog
Wright- Hewitt 9/2/08
Corn- York 9/21/06
Lindsey Frum- the one where Frum takes down Matt Lewis

prx
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
As soon as I posted this, realized I'd left a bunch of episodes off-
McArdle- Olapade
Goldberg- Frum
Wright- Kagan

nikkibong
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi, prx.

As you listen to the podcasts, has now seeing the appearances of any of the 'heads been cause for surprise? I'd love to hear. Check out the visage of Mark Kleiman for a start.

Speaking of which, here are some of my all time favorites:

-Mark Kleiman and Heather Mac Donald
-Glenn Loury and Heather Mac Donald
-Bob and Harry Shearer
-Will Wilkinson and Jim Holt

and

-Stephanie Zacharek and Armond White --- oh wait, that's never happened. A guy can dream, right?

uncle ebeneezer
08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
PRX, there's also some good lists here (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=149135#post149135).

I would also add to the lists:

PZ Myers and Abbie

Carl Zimmer and Phil Plait on cosmological dangers

Carl and Ben Zimmer on word origins

[added] Oh yeah and both of the Glenn Loury and Ross Levine diavlogs were awesome!!

prx
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Kleiman was one and Ackerman was a bit of a shock too. Actually, since I dont watch any tv (where presumably some heads appear), the faces have almost always been a bit surprising.

Thanks for the suggs and the other similar thread. Looking fwd to svrl hours of entertainment.

kezboard
09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I would recommend any of the diavlogs where Bob gets mad. I also encourage him to line up an interview real quick with someone who makes him mad; it's been awhile.

chiwhisoxx
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Probably in the extreme minority here, but my favorite diavlog by far was between Ross Douthat and Jonah Goldberg a few days before the 08 election. It's called the Conservative Civil War (I think?) and they discuss the future of conservatism in light of what was at the time Barack Obama's imminent victory, the McCain campaign, Sarah Palin, etc.

Wm. Blaxton
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
The three Hitchens dialogues -- one w/ Alterman, and then two w/ Wright -- were good.

osmium
09-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Speaking of which, here are some of my all time favorites:

-Mark Kleiman and Heather Mac Donald
-Glenn Loury and Heather Mac Donald
-Bob and Harry Shearer
-Will Wilkinson and Jim Holt

I also really liked the Kleiman and MacDonald one.

This would be good: if maybe there were a page with some amount of generally-agreed-upon good ones.

The ones I remember really liking:
+ Kleiman and MacDonald
+ The first Wright and Achenbach
+ McWhorter and Lowry right after Obama's election
+ Lindsey and Frum about the 70s
+ Kleiman and McArdle about drugs
+ Kaus and Long (are there more than 1?)
+ several Wright and Kagen
+ Wright and Kaus, lots, but the first one they talk about Ann Coulter is the archetype
+ Wright and Kinsley

There are probably others ... I should think.

Here, I want to bring up something about trolling for old diavlogs that I don't like: I want the date to include the year. I get confused in the archives and don't know what year I'm in!

Simon Willard
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
If you haven't seen the first Wright and Achenbach diavlog (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/72), you haven't lived.

AemJeff
09-23-2010, 01:32 PM
If you haven't seen the first Wright and Achenbach diavlog, you haven't lived.

Yup. That's always been among my favorites. The irony was so concentrated into such a small space, I was surprised there wasn't some kind of implosion.

operative
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately I have more of a memory for the enjoyable awkward moments--the famous Ann Althouse diavlogue, also one where Meagan McArdle completely wallops someone (whose name I forget) who was condemning 'extreme' rhetoric on the right while talking gleefully about the eventual death of Dick Cheney.