PDA

View Full Version : GOP Shill?? Check!


uncle ebeneezer
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Interesting news on Fred Barnes (http://www.salon.com/news/media_criticism/index.html?story=/news/feature/2010/07/29/fred_barnes_paid_gop) who has recently had his panties in a bunch about journolist and how it's destroying reel journalizm and America.

• In February 2006, Barnes was paid $10,000 plus travel expenses by Oregon’s Lane County Republican Central Committee to deliver the keynote address at the annual Lincoln Day Dinner. (Thanks to Carla Axtman for research assistance.) These payments, recorded in filings with the Oregon Secretary of State, were evidently made through the Premier Speakers Bureau of Franklin, Tennessee, which represents other Fox personalities including Sean Hannity, Dick Morris, and Mike Huckabee. Barnes is no longer listed on the Premier website, but the company did not respond to phone or email inquiries about its relationship with him.

• In February 2007, Barnes spoke at the annual Lincoln-Reagan Dinner held by the Republican Party of Fort Bend County, Texas – home of former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, who purchased a ticket to the event. The party organization’s filing with the Texas Ethics Commission shows two payments of $5000 each on April 26, 2007 to Premiere Speakers Bureau (with the notation “LRD 2007 Speaker – Fred Barnes”) and travel expenses of $1823. Photos of a smiling Barnes with various local dignitaries at the event, which netted a reported $70,000 for the party, can be viewed here.

• In early March 2008, Barnes served as the keynote speaker for the Republican Party of Palm Beach County at its annual Lincoln Day Dinner. Whether he received the customary $10,000 is not clear because the party's filing with the Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections show only a single payment of $5500 to Premiere Speakers Bureau on February 18. The committee reported net $120,000 in net proceeds from the event.


Anyone wanna place bets on whether this story will get as much attention as JournOlist did, from Tucker Carlson and Ann Althouse?

bjkeefe
08-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Interesting news on Fred Barnes (http://www.salon.com/news/media_criticism/index.html?story=/news/feature/2010/07/29/fred_barnes_paid_gop) who has recently had his panties in a bunch about journolist and how it's destroying reel journalizm and America.




Anyone wanna place bets on whether this story will get as much attention as JournOlist did, from Tucker Carlson and Ann Althouse?

Of course not. Of those who even know what the Weekly Standard is, 90% of them haven't taken it seriously since its founding. (The other 10%, of course, are the same sort of people who think Fox is the only station that actually gives balanced news.)

chiwhisoxx
08-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Equating Fox News and The Weekly Standard: Taking demagoguery and hyperbole to new and exciting places

bjkeefe
08-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Fox News and The Weekly Standard: Taking demagoguery and hyperbole to new and exciting places

See how much sense it makes when I eliminate only one word?