PDA

View Full Version : Dark Arts Almost Kill Harry Potter's Friend

Lyle
07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Wicked magic of the darkest kind almost strikes down Hogwarts Muslim student (http://www.doublex.com/blog/xxfactor/not-so-charmed-life-harry-potter-actress-afshan-azad). I'm guessing the religious community that shall not be named might be responsible. :)

The apparent cause of the threats is that Azad’s Muslim family did not approve of her dating a Hindu man, as People reports. For now, the men have been banned from traveling to London, where Azad is believed to be staying, and they must not contact “an unnamed man,” according to CBS News’ Crimesider blog.

The most annoying-slash-disturbing part of the whole story is the comments by the arrested brother, who is out on bail. He appears to be complaining about all the unwanted attention.

"We are going to get trouble from the community now. It is bad news for our safety, her safety."

JonIrenicus
07-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Wicked magic of the darkest kind almost strikes down Hogwarts Muslim student (http://www.doublex.com/blog/xxfactor/not-so-charmed-life-harry-potter-actress-afshan-azad). I'm guessing the religious community that shall not be named might be responsible. :)

Very eerie. This is the kind of cultural attitude that seems pretty incompatible with British norms and standards. So how does it persist?

This is why I think it is unhealthy to have people living in your society so isolated from the larger common culture. The attitude of the brother and father ought to have been crushed under the massive weight of contrary opinion and standards of the british population, but if it never gets aired in the open, if the offenders are in their own little enclaves with no real contact outside their own echo chamber of beliefs and ideas... I guess this is what you get.

The ideas of a Fred Phelps and family would be easier to propagate and infect the minds of others with if it was all behind closed doors. It is not for the most part, and their views are rightly skewered by the larger society. There is no quarter given to their ideas and beliefs, hopefully some day, the left will see fit to provide the same illumination for non christians.

Lyle
07-06-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure they're coming from any kind of an enclave though. They do exist, immigrant neighborhoods and what not... but the girl obviously is just a part of mainstream life. She's going to a Catholic college and doing whatever. I'm afraid this is something more than just living in your own little private Pakistan (or Bangladesh in this sweetheart's case).

I mean Muhammad Atta was 'westernized', yet he still wanted to hijack commercial airliners and fly them into great big buildings filled with people... in the name of Allah and Arab Muslim jingoism.