PDA

View Full Version : Science & Economics Expertise vs. Wacky Stuff

vegetarian werewolf
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Dear Bloggingheads,

It is an absolute joy to watch your diavlogs featuring knowledgeable scientists and economists (especially academics and serious journalists).

What I think may sometimes detract from the quality of the site are diavlogs focusing on wacky futurologist-transhumanist-etc stuff. I always feel deflated to see diavlogs like these, especially on Science Saturday. I'm not saying these folks' ideas shouldn't be aired, but I don't think this is the ideal medium for them.

For instance, it is jarring to contrast say a Glenn Loury/Ross Levine talk with one in which some dude talks about uploading himself... I'm not saying everyone should be a professor (among my favorite are John Horgan and George Johnson), but some threshold of expertise and seriousness should be maintained.

Anyway, for what it's worth those are my two cents. Congrats on running a wonderful site.

AemJeff
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Dear Bloggingheads,

It is an absolute joy to watch your diavlogs featuring knowledgeable scientists and economists (especially academics and serious journalists).

What I think may sometimes detract from the quality of the site are diavlogs focusing on wacky futurologist-transhumanist-etc stuff. I always feel deflated to see diavlogs like these, especially on Science Saturday. I'm not saying these folks' ideas shouldn't be aired, but I don't think this is the ideal medium for them.

For instance, it is jarring to contrast say a Glenn Loury/Ross Levine talk with one in which some dude talks about uploading himself... I'm not saying everyone should be a professor (among my favorite are John Horgan and George Johnson), but some threshold of expertise and seriousness should be maintained.

Anyway, for what it's worth those are my two cents. Congrats on running a wonderful site.

Now show us in what sense Eliezer Yudkowski, say, is "wacky."