PDA

View Full Version : bhtv heads that no longer get along?

JonIrenicus
03-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Just curious, every once in awhile there is some allusion about Mickey having issues with Ezra or vice versa, do they hate each other? And if so, what started it?

I think it happened before my time. If this is too tabloid you can delete it, but I'm curious.

I know Althouse and Goldberg are not going to be best friends, but that is more recent.

graz
03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Just curious, every once in awhile there is some allusion about Mickey having issues with Ezra or vice versa, do they hate each other? And if so, what started it?
I think it happened before my time. If this is too tabloid you can delete it, but I'm curious.
I know Althouse and Goldberg are not going to be best friends, but that is more recent.

http://jennifermorrill.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/clueless.jpg

Just as you can't acknowledge that you mischaracterize the left as a monolith.

Mickey can't explain his self-proclaimed aversion to Ezra.

Mysteries abound.

PreppyMcPrepperson
03-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Yeah, a long while ago, Ezra wrote some stuff about how the whole neoliberal/Democratic Leadership Council/Washington Independent movement had been a big failure with no policy achievements and how all the people involved were washed up has-beens. And Mickey, being one of those people, took offense, and went off on it in some BH diavlog with Bob, and Bob volunteered to set up a Mickey-Ezra DV, which Mickey refused, saying basically that Ezra was some silly kid who didn't deserve his success that it was beneath Mickey's dignity to take him on. Which, of course, sounded a lot like Mickey saying he was afraid he might lose. Anyway, that's how it started, and I think since then they've both carped at one another on their blogs and occasionally make snide references to each other on BHTV.

Ironically, one the domestic issue #1 of the day, health care reform, they basically agree.

uncle ebeneezer
03-22-2010, 02:03 AM
I didn't know about Ezra's criticism of neoliberals but I don't doubt it. Don't forget: Ezra literally threw down a gauntlet on BHTV challenging Mickey to debate him. But Mickey is too chicken. I can't say that I blame him. While Mickey has the wise-ass contrarion schtick, Ezra has an uncanny grasp of policy at the wonkiest levels. On top of that, I would guess that Mickey is bitter about Ezra's: hair, youth, good looks and reputation as a serious policy thinker as opposed to Mickey's popularity as the rodeo clown of political blogging.

bjkeefe
03-22-2010, 02:05 AM
... Mickey ... the rodeo clown of political blogging.

Oh snap.

PreppyMcPrepperson
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't forget: Ezra literally threw down a gauntlet on BHTV challenging Mickey to debate him.

Yep, I recall that. I think that was about 2 weeks after the blog posts that pissed Mickey off in the first place.

claymisher
03-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Yep, I recall that. I think that was about 2 weeks after the blog posts that pissed Mickey off in the first place.

If you could find that post I'd love to read it. It must have been from, what, 2007?

PreppyMcPrepperson
03-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I actually looked for it, and I could find the posts, but I couldn't find a way to generate permalinks for them. The Prospect Blog seems to have been very very low tech at the time. But they appeared on TAPPED on and off from March 2007 through that summer I believe.

TwinSwords
03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I actually looked for it, and I could find the posts, but I couldn't find a way to generate permalinks for them. The Prospect Blog seems to have been very very low tech at the time. But they appeared on TAPPED on and off from March 2007 through that summer I believe.

I believe this is the post (http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=03&year=2007&base_name=my_honordefended) in question.

And another (http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=03&year=2007&base_name=my_head_blogging_part_iv).

Unfortunate linkrot to Yglesias and LGF, though.

uncle ebeneezer
03-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks for that. The best part IMO:

But for Kaus, the question is style points. Jon Cohn and I both focus on social policy, both believe approximately the same things, and both are working towards much the same outcome. But I'm the "far-left." Why? Style. I'm young, I'm partisan, I'm pro-union, I'm insufficiently impressed with Mickey's years in the trenches of neoliberalism. Temperamentally, I'm the anti-neolib. And that's enough. Indeed, it's too much.

That's what's so fundamentally unimpressive about writers like Kaus. Their ideology is underpinned by a grudge, not a belief system. It's aesthetic, characterological, and above all, personal. They hate unions and so they worry about productivity costs, loathe Jesse Jackson and so can't think seriously think about racial justice. Kaus doesn't like me and so I am far left, he does like Jon and so Jon is the future. The substance is immaterial. Neoliberalism was, for some of these folks, an attitude first and an ideology second. In recent years, Kaus has become an embarrassingly public exhibition of that prioritization scheme.

Posted by Ezra Klein on March 16, 2007 12:01 PM |