PDA

View Full Version : A Post Without Purpose

uncle ebeneezer
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
One of the reasons that I think PZ Myers has such a popular blog is that sometimes he's great at clarifying the position of many atheists.

From here (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/03/secularism_does_not_find_valid.php):

The cultures that will exist a century from now will be the cultures that avoid melting down or blowing up. That's not destiny or the product of divine guidance, it's simply a self-evident truism. There is no "should" that even says you should be a member of a culture that will persist into the next century: you are free to run off to a California commune, grow sinsemilla, and have gay or prophylactically controlled orgies until your tribe grays and dies out. Or you can join the Shakers and excel in craftsmanship and celibacy and quiet worship of a deity until your tribe grays and dies out. The universe does not freaking care.

I've chosen my particular lifestyle, not because I'm supposed to do what I do or because I'm obeying orders from on high, but because it makes me feel good now. My biological needs are met, I'm entertained and stimulated, and I see the people I care about being likewise fulfilled. I want to see my views propagated into the next generation because they work well for me, and I have an emotional attachment to my children and other human beings, and want to see them given the same (and better!) opportunities that I've had. And of course, the reason I have those feelings for other people is that I'm the product of many generations of successful procreators who have also been well-integrated into their culture. I do what I do not because I should or because I'm told to, but because it works, in the sense of producing a stable and productive line of human beings.

That's godless thinking. It's too bad Fish and Smith are completely incapable of grasping it.

I shudder to think how Bob Wright would feel about such purposelessness.

Starwatcher162536
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I have always been mildly surprised that so many people cluster themselves in groups where being a non-deist is the adhesive.

For myself, it has always seemed an obvious truth that all the world's major religions were either incoherent or did not meet the burden of proof required to validate their beliefs.

I feel no more need to identify with other atheists then I do with people who think that water is wet.

uncle ebeneezer
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't generally cluster that way either. I've never been a part of any organization or anything like that. Reading PZ regularly is really the only way I affiliate with a group of atheists, and in that case, there are other reasons I go there. I enjoy biology, and I like his sense of humor. That said, many of my friends are atheists but I don't think that that is WHY I'm friends with them. We just share similiar interests/outlooks/tastes etc. that are probably less likely among the devout.