PDA

View Full Version : Bloggingheads Book Quotes

uncle ebeneezer
02-27-2010, 02:57 PM
So I was just finishing Phil Plait's marvelous "Death From the Skies" about all the amazing astronomical events that have happened, are happening or will. And I came across this really great passage:

The events described below will seem like science fiction, I suppose, since things get pretty weird at very short times after the Universe formed, and in the mind-numbingly long stretches of future time. But as far as we can tell, this is science fact, based on solid evidence. Like any examples of conjecture, there may be pieces we are missing that affect what really happened, or what will really happen. That is the nature of science; more observations and more information always lead to a refinement of results. Science asymptotically approaches reality, and it's hard to say just how far up the curve we are now. Page 262.

I think this is a fantastic quote because it is something that people who seem not to understand the dynamic nature of science should try to get through their heads especially in respect to politically volatile topics like AGW and Evolution etc. Plus, I've always loved the idea of the asymptote.

Anyways, if the author's don't mind, I propose a thread where we can highlight some of the finest quotes from b-heads books and comment on them. As long as we are accurate and help to promote their bottom line (http://www.amazon.com/Death-Skies-Science-Behind-World/dp/B0035G02BI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267296891&sr=1-3), I would think that they would see it as not only a tribute to their excellent word-smithing, but also a good bit of free advertising from their fans.

I have read many great books by people on bhTv, and often come across a wonderful stream of words that reminds me how talented these b-heads are at good old fashioned writing.