02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/soflive/

bjkeefe
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM

OMG.

graz
02-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Bob was illuminating as always. He really is a great extemporaneous speaker.

Demerit for feeling compelled to punch the DFA's (or so-called new atheists) in the neck again. Not once but twice in the 90 minute exchange. I feel cheated that he doesn't spread the criticism around. But I think I'm beginning to understand the impetus. It's probably reflexive. Even though he claims not to be a christian, he's still haunted by the residual image of a sky man watching over him. He knows it's a fantasy... yet he can't shake it. Or so he said.

look
02-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Bob was illuminating as always. He really is a great extemporaneous speaker.

Demerit for feeling compelled to punch the DFA's (or so-called new atheists) in the neck again. Not once but twice in the 90 minute exchange. I feel cheated that he doesn't spread the criticism around. But I think I'm beginning to understand the impetus. It's probably reflexive. Even though he claims not to be a christian, he's still haunted by the residual image of a sky man watching over him. He knows it's a fantasy... yet he can't shake it. Or so he said.So you question his veracity? I think it's a common occurrence for those raised in an Abrahamic tradition to long for a return to the assurance of belief, the security of traditions, the coziness of the place of worship and the fellow congregants, and these feelings can be hard to shake from time to time. Why do you doubt Bob?

graz
02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I was simply pointing to the fact that he said it in the talk. He claimed that he used to be an atheist, claims that no longer and responding to the question of what residual aspects of his Baptist upbringing manifest: He said, that he still imagines (not believes), a skyward overseer, that in all likelihood is a moral force that guides his behavior. I get it.

I have no reason to doubt him. Although he may have been pandering to the crowd. The host was inclined to treat him like a believer - which he did his best to fend off - but still.

look
02-04-2010, 01:39 AM
I was simply pointing to the fact that he said it in the talk. He claimed that he used to be an atheist, claims that no longer and responding to the question of what residual aspects of his Baptist upbringing manifest: He said, that he still imagines (not believes), a skyward overseer, that in all likelihood is a moral force that guides his behavior. I get it.

I have no reason to doubt him. Although he may have been pandering to the crowd. The host was inclined to treat him like a believer - which he did his best to fend off - but still.Okay, thanks, graz. I've yet to view it, but I watched the first few seconds, when there's only religious-sounding music playing. Can't wait.

Me&theboys
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Can't listen to yet another EOG interview. Does he say anything different in this one than he has already said in every other interview? Any new or refined arguments that are more compelling than those he's already made?

graz
02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
No.

uncle ebeneezer
02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
How long till Bob starts a psychic hotline?

look
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
No.Then why did you watch it?

graz
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I wasn't looking for or in need of the things Me& requires. (Having read all her posts in all the threads regarding Bob's latest).
All of the historical references that Bob offers are interesting and new to me. I never studied the Bible. I'm intrigued by the contortions that believers and atheists alike use to square their rationales with the "good book." Interesting stuff.

look
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I wasn't looking for or in need of the things Me& requires. (Having read all her posts in all the threads regarding Bob's latest).
All of the historical references that Bob offers are interesting and new to me. I never studied the Bible. I'm intrigued by the contortions that believers and atheists alike use to square their rationales with the "good book." Interesting stuff.Thank you, dear.

graz
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Your welcome in this thread... in the other one... were enemies. Complexities abound.

bjkeefe
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
How long till Bob starts a psychic hotline?

LOL!

look
02-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Your welcome in this thread... in the other one... were enemies. Complexities abound.

May the bluebird of happiness poop in your soup.

graz
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
May the bluebird of happiness poop in your soup.

O.K. whatfur with manners and a sense of humor.

look
02-04-2010, 02:13 PM
O.K. whatfur with manners and a sense of humor.Graz, you do care!

look
02-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Okay, thanks, graz. I've yet to view it, but I watched the first few seconds, when there's only religious-sounding music playing. Can't wait.Watched about the first third, so far. Interesting. The interviewer has a charming, engaging manner, and I've never seen Bob more relaxed or eloquent on the subject.

Thanks for the link, SD.