PDA

View Full Version : Pro-torture Senator in MA: How you can help

Wonderment
01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Pro-torture US-Senator elect Scott Brown needs to get the message that torture is illegal. Here's an easy way to e-mail him and tell him it's not:

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2162/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=2080

wreaver
01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
(Out of curiosity) is legality the only reason you have for being against torture?

If they just changed all the laws and made the actions, you are currently labeling as torture, legal, would you be OK with it?

TwinSwords
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
(Out of curiosity) is legality the only reason you have for being against torture?

If they just changed all the laws and made the actions, you are currently labeling as torture, legal, would you be OK with it?

What about you? What's your answer?

I'm going to go ahead and guess you'd be in favor of torture, in any form, if it was legal or if it was illegal.

The interesting observation is that the more liberals oppose something, the more it is supported by the deranged psychopaths who populate the ranks of the Republican Party. When torture was first disclosed during the middle of the Bush dystopia, most Americans were shocked an appalled. After all, torture is clearly evil, and our nation had always defined itself in opposition to the kind of brutal inhumanity embraced by Bush and Cheney.

But then something happened: The wingnuts, sociopaths, lunatics and Republicans who form the backbone of the conservative movement saw how dismayed and shocked the liberals were. And just as America once defined itself in opposition to human rights crimes, wingnuts define themeselves in opposition to liberals. If we're against it, they're for it. That's all a wingnut needs to know. That's the core of conservative "conscience." So now, after the conclusion of the brutal Bush years, torture is enthusiastically defended and embraced by the vast majority of Republicans.

Most of the wingnuts I know are quite proud to defend it.

wreaver
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM

What about you? What's your answer?

I'm going to go ahead and guess you'd be in favor of torture, in any form, if it was legal or if it was illegal.

Nope. I'm completely against torture. But my reason for being against torture has absolutely nothing to do with legality. (Even if it was legal I'd still be against it.)

I was just curious why you were saying "torture is illegal" if that's not the reason you're really against it. I.e., who cares if it is illegal or not. Why not argue your point using the actual reason you are against torture.

TwinSwords
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Nope. I'm completely against torture. But my reason for being against torture has absolutely nothing to do with legality. (Even if it was legal I'd still be against it.)

I was just curious why you were saying "torture is illegal" if that's not the reason you're really against it. I.e., who cares if it is illegal or not. Why not argue your point using the actual reason you are against torture.

Okay, great, good points. I agree entirely. I mean, I do think the fact that it's illegal makes it extra bad. But you're right: it's an absolute travesty, legal or not.

Three cheers for you! Sorry I assumed you were pro torture.

Wonderment
01-21-2010, 05:58 PM

No, if you go to the website I linked you will see that we National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT) is (by definition) against torture on religious and moral grounds.

The reason it's important to call Brown on his illegal support of torture is that he is a legislator, whose job it is to make laws and uphold the Constitution.

One good law the Dem. Congress could make would be to close all torture loopholes that still exist under the Obama administration. Here is an overview in today's NYT. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/opinion/21alexander.html?scp=2&sq=torture&st=cse)