PDA

View Full Version : First Year Failure!!

uncle ebeneezer
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
From Mark Halperin's Obama Report Card:

The Five Things Obama Is Doing Better than You Realize

Letting the Co-Equal Branch Do the Heavy Lifting
Handling Challenging Foreign Policy Issues
Steering Clear of Scandal
Keeping His Focus on a Long-Term Strategy
Taking Unilateral Action

The Five Things Obama Is Doing Worse than You Think

Managing His Public Image
Driving the Policy Process
Wooing Official Washington
Creating Stars

I for one, know that when it comes to the priorities of the Presidency, Wooing Official Washington &
Creating Stars are far more important than Handling Challenging Foreign Policy Issues & Keeping His Focus on a Long-Term Strategy. Epic FAIL!!1!

bjkeefe
01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
From Mark Halperin's Obama Report Card:

I for one, know that when it comes to the priorities of the Presidency, Wooing Official Washington &
Creating Stars are far more important than Handling Challenging Foreign Policy Issues & Keeping His Focus on a Long-Term Strategy. Epic FAIL!!1!

Heh. Nice.

Looks like (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1950070,00.html) you forgot his most important failure, though:

Changing the Tone in Washington

Essclamayshinpointeleventy!

cognitive madisonian
01-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Mark Halperin conveniently forgot the illegal Walpin firing, Van Jones, ACORN, crooked appointments, and Obama's foreign policy ditherings and outright missteps (for instance, aggressively siding with the ousted proto-tyrant in Honduras).

But if you take away the failed stimulus, the litany of broken promises including the ones fundamental to the campaign ("we will heal the partisan divide", "we will change politics as usual), etc. then you can say, "heckuva a job, Barry."

uncle ebeneezer
01-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Wow, that's quite the devastating list you put together CM. The first group are mostly FoxNews soundbites that only wingnuts seem to care about (bonus points for keeping the "dithering" thing alive though, very original.)

And half of the economists out there seem to disagree with you on the stimulus, (with most intelligent ones on either side admitting that it's really too early to judge) so I think that's a hopeful (and clearly partisan) interpretation of consensus on your part.

Partisan divide, hmm...let's see...ZERO votes from the opposition party on every major piece of legislation, despite several attempts by the President to make consolations for the sake of bi-partisanship (to the point where his own side is upset that he's giving in too much.) Forgive me if I place more of the blame on the side that refuses the olive branch rather than the side that extends it.

Honduras is the only thing you mentioned that I would even consider though I would need to read more about it.

In any case, if your list is all the best negatives you can come up with then Obama is just fine.

cognitive madisonian
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, that's quite the devastating list you put together CM. The first group are mostly FoxNews soundbites that only wingnuts seem to care about (bonus points for keeping the "dithering" thing alive though, very original.)

Illegally firing an Inspector General who was investigating one of his buddies is a serious thing, whether you acknowledge it or not.

And half of the economists out there seem to disagree with you on the stimulus,
It is a matter of fact that the numbers that Obama gave us on the effects on employment were utterly wrong.

Partisan divide, hmm...let's see...ZERO votes from the opposition party on every major piece of legislation, despite several attempts by the President to make consolations for the sake of bi-partisanship (to the point where his own side is upset that he's giving in too much.) Forgive me if I place more of the blame on the side that refuses the olive branch rather than the side that extends it.

What consolations? when did he reach across the isle? When he told Republicans to "get out of the way," or "pick up a mop", or said that, "they just do what they're told"? When in place of legislation with bipartisan support he pursued partisan issues that only the left wing base wanted?

Honduras is the only thing you mentioned that I would even consider though I would need to read more about it.

Ah so we found something.

uncle ebeneezer
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Illegally firing an Inspector General who was investigating one of his buddies is a serious thing, whether you acknowledge it or not.

Agreed. But the key word is "illegally."

You might be right that it was, but it doesn't seem quite the slamdunk (http://www.thenewargument.com/index.php/2009/06/ending-the-walpin-firing-debate/) that you are making it out to be.

No time to go through all your responses, but I will get to them later (and your movie/music/decade thread too.)

cognitive madisonian
01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Agreed. But the key word is "illegally."

You might be right that it was, but it doesn't seem quite the slamdunk (http://www.thenewargument.com/index.php/2009/06/ending-the-walpin-firing-debate/) that you are making it out to be.

No time to go through all your responses, but I will get to them later (and your movie/music/decade thread too.)

Ah good, my hope for the life of my thread has been restored :D

In regards to that thread, there may be something involved with legal minutiae, so I am speculating to a degree here, but the guidelines appear to be in place to prevent the president from removing an IG for improper reasons. And, I think this can be interpreted in a broader sense than merely literal firing. Obama effectively terminated Walpin that day--his 30 'suspension' was a sham--on day 1, Walpin knew that he would not be returning to his post. And this is what the guidelines were in place to prevent.

As for the reasons Obama gave, the claims later were revealed to have been false: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/New-documents-White-House-scrambled-to-justify-AmeriCorps-firing-after-the-fact-71483647.html

kezboard
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
You would think that it would be hard to win at Letting The Co-Equal Branch Do The Heavy Lifting and fail at Driving The Policy Process at the same time.