PDA

View Full Version : Where is my good friend?

Ocean
12-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes. Where is my good friend Wonderment? I miss him... :(

Who will defend peace?

Oh, no! He's got to come back soon!

Ocean
12-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Anonymous sources report that Wonderment and a gray parrot were spotted on a hot air balloon decorated with a gigantic peace sign, waving white flags and saying he is not coming down until there are no more wars...

He's taking this very seriously. ;)

JonIrenicus
12-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Yes. Where is my good friend Wonderment? I miss him... :(

Who will defend peace?

Oh, no! He's got to come back soon!

I thought wonderment was a woman... Are you sure?

kezboard
12-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Wonderment is a guy, even though Bob has referred to him as "her" pretty much every single time he was mentioned in his little comment on the comment section thing he does every so often.

Ocean
12-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I thought wonderment was a woman... Are you sure?

The anonymous sources must have seen him/her from a distance. He/she was on a hot air balloon! Hard to tell! :)

cragger
12-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Are you sure Wonderment is really on that balloon and not in the garage attic? If so, maybe he has a laptop and sat phone with him because his name has been online.

There could be a bit of a burnout factor among some here, weary of trying to hold substantive discussions and getting endless repeats of old talking points in return. Perhaps a holiday season spent with family and friends in more congenial activities away from the bickering he will recharge some batteries.

Ocean
12-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Are you sure Wonderment is really on that balloon and not in the garage attic? If so, maybe he has a laptop and sat phone with him because his name has been online.

There's always wireless technologies. Or perhaps it was getting way too cold up there... A third possibility is that, indeed, we have reached the end of war. You can choose the one you like best.

There could be a bit of a burnout factor among some here, weary of trying to hold substantive discussions and getting endless repeats of old talking points in return. Perhaps a holiday season spent with family and friends in more congenial activities away from the bickering he will recharge some batteries.

Yes. That's true. But, isn't the balloon story way more exciting?

SkepticDoc
12-25-2009, 09:56 PM
I am green with envy!

He/She has a life besides the computer...

Ocean
12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Come on! We all had a life away from the computer once. A long time ago. A really, really long time ago.

Perhaps it's time to return to Nature...

(with a laptop). :)

SkepticDoc
12-25-2009, 10:09 PM
I am eagerly waiting to get in line to get my "Sixth Sense", hopefully they will have the implantable version soon (hopefully powered by adipose tissue)...

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

http://www.ted.com/speakers/pranav_mistry.html

http://www.pranavmistry.com/projects/sixthsense/index.htm#ABOUT

Ocean
12-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I am eagerly waiting to get in line to get my "Sixth Sense", hopefully they will have the implantable version soon (hopefully powered by adipose tissue)...

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

http://www.ted.com/speakers/pranav_mistry.html

http://www.pranavmistry.com/projects/sixthsense/index.htm#ABOUT

Impressive. Bring this guy to BhTV!

cragger
12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
There's always wireless technologies. Or perhaps it was getting way too cold up there... A third possibility is that, indeed, we have reached the end of war. You can choose the one you like best.

Perhaps it's time to return to Nature... (with a laptop). :)

Sorry, was a bit of geek speak in my previous if you aren't familiar ... A sat phone is a satellite phone, uses satellites instead of cell towers but the same general idea. Wireless indeed, though maybe you knew this already. And not a tough choice, I like Wonderment's preference best also.

And regarding your latter suggestion, I try to return to nature fairly often. I would never take a laptop there, or a cell phone, or a radio, or ... There's an old New England saying - "Ya can't get there from here." In this case, it's more "Ya can't get there that-a-way." It's a trip taken with hands and feet and some technology just limits how near you can get to There from Here. It's likely my fondness for Nature is like that of a farm child for a calf, a relationship with the end foreordained.

As I recall, John Horgan suggested war didn't really get started until after the development of agriculture. I don't expect much enthusiasm for that much "back to Nature", so maybe a balloon and a laptop isn't a bad way to go after all.

Whatfur
12-26-2009, 01:21 AM
He's male...and he was online today. Send him a PM.

JonIrenicus
12-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Wonderment is a guy, even though Bob has referred to him as "her" pretty much every single time he was mentioned in his little comment on the comment section thing he does every so often.

That must be where I got it from, I blame Bob.

Wonderment
12-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm touched by the concern for me.

My respite from posting has a very mundane explanation: I was traveling with my daughter for the holidays and we were too busy to do anything more than sporadically log on for emailing and browsing. On top of that, my sister's router was being cranky, so I was technologically challenged as well.

I did think of BH, however. Given my penchant for catastrophic thinking and the prevalence of blizzards, slick roads and terrorist attacks, visions of mortality as well as sugar plums danced in my head.

I wondered if I vanished would anyone on Bloggingheads A) notice or B) care. It's nice that you have and did.

I say this not in a narcissistic way, but rather as a reflection on our online personae in general. "Wonderment," being a sort of virtual being, will have a shorter and less rich existence than "I." Wonderment's demise is unlikely to coincide with mine. Wonderment is more fictional, fragile and ephemeral than I, and several decades younger.

Still, just like a real human, Wonderment depends on your collective forbearance, respect and understanding (dare I say love?) in order to survive. Without the support of the BH community Wonderment would become a disappointed and embittered creature, surely destined to die before his time.

Ocean
12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm glad that you got off the balloon safely. :)

Wonderment
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm glad that you got off the balloon safely.

As a Great American Hero once put it, "We are all balloon boy now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3T4FfGSUuM)."

rfrobison
12-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Where is my good friend rfrobison?

He hasn't posted in ages.

Who will delight us with his wit-ful sallies?

Who will defend the Bushies from the legions of scurrilous evildoers out to besmirch their righteous good names?

Who will bedazzle us with his supernova intellect?

Oh, wait, I found him.

Happy New Year to all, left, right, center, and trans-gender.

BTW, what is trans-gender, anyway? Is that just like a guy who's feeling like he needs a good cry and a hug, a girl who secretly likes belching and farting loudly? Or something else?

Ocean
12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Where is my good friend rfrobison?

He hasn't posted in ages.

Who will delight us with his wit-ful sallies?

Who will defend the Bushies from the legions of scurrilous evildoers out to besmirch their righteous good names?

Who will bedazzle us with his supernova intellect?

Oh, wait, I found him.

Happy New Year to all, left, right, center, and trans-gender.

BTW, what is trans-gender, anyway? Is that just like a guy who's feeling like he needs a good cry and a hug, a girl who secretly likes belching and farting loudly? Or something else?

Yes, rfrobison, I have missed your posts. You have put out quite a few solid pieces of literature in this forum. I like some of the minidramas you have created to illustrate your views. Like this one (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=100615#post100615).

Happy New Year!

graz
12-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Same to you funny man.
Not to be confused with Barbara Streisand as Funny Girl,
who is much more the diva than you, if no less entertaining.

Your absence has increased fondness.
The intellect is obvious, but can you really make the case for Bush-co?
Maybe we can agree to leave that till next year... Even if you're already there in the land of the rising sun.