PDA

View Full Version : Green Misanthropy

Lyle
12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.newgeography.com/content/001280-the-green-movements-people-problem

But the main, fundamental problem facing the movement after Copenhagen--which none of the green factions have yet addressed--is its people problem. The movement needs to break with the deep-seated misanthropy that dominates green politics and has brought it to this woeful state. Its leaders have defined our species as everything from a "cancer" to the "AIDs of the earth." They wail in horror at the thought that by the year 2050 there will likely be another 2 or 3 billion of these inconvenient bipeds. Leading green figures such as Britain's Jonathan Porritt, Richard Attenborough and Lester Brown even consider baby-making a grievous carbon crime--especially, notes Australian activist Robert Short, in those "highly consumptive, greenhouse-producing nations."

Francoamerican
12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.newgeography.com/content/001280-the-green-movements-people-problem

Misanthropy means "hatred of man (the species)," not hatred of many men (and women). One could be a misanthrope if homo sapiens numbered only a hundred. The Greeks invented the word when the population of planet earth was less than one billion.

It seems to me that the attitude of the greens is quite sensible, unless you believe that the resources of the earth can support an American lifestyle for ten billion or more inhabitants.

Lyle
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
As a Frenchman you're murdering the environment just as much as any American. You use planes, trains, and automobiles too. I say our lifestyles can be replicated though. Oh, the audacity!

When are you going to kill yourself though Franco? Should we all applaud when you die in a train crash next week? Yay... Mother Earth is healthier now, yay!!! Kill yourselves people! Don't have children, they're Mother Earth killing monsters!!! Die people, die!!!

... and I guess the Holocaust wasn't such a bad thing after all. Probably stopped climate change for a couple of weeks.

Lyle
12-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Misanthropy means "hatred of man (the species)," not hatred of many men (and women). One could be a misanthrope if homo sapiens numbered only a hundred. The Greeks invented the word when the population of planet earth was less than one billion.

Like we don't know this? :)

Francoamerican
12-24-2009, 07:33 AM
I say our lifestyles can be replicated though. Oh, the audacity!

If the replication of your lifestyle leads to more replicas of you the number of misanthropes in the world is bound to increase.

Whatfur
12-24-2009, 08:45 AM
If the replication of your lifestyle leads to more replicas of you the number of misanthropes in the world is bound to increase.

Share the love Frank...share the love.

Francoamerican
12-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Share the love Frank...share the love.

As you so often do with your bilious and hateful remarks directed to everyone who disagrees with you?

Do unto others...... fur, and the kingdom of heaven is yours.

Whatfur
12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
As you so often do with your bilious and hateful remarks directed to everyone who disagrees with you?

Do unto others...... fur, and the kingdom of heaven is yours.

...oh ye of mirror-less rooms.

Lyle
12-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Is this you trying to be funny? :)

nikkibong
12-24-2009, 01:47 PM
As a Frenchman you're murdering the environment just as much as any American. You use planes, trains, and automobiles too. I say our lifestyles can be replicated though. Oh, the audacity!

When are you going to kill yourself though Franco? Should we all applaud when you die in a train crash next week? Yay... Mother Earth is healthier now, yay!!! Kill yourselves people! Don't have children, they're Mother Earth killing monsters!!! Die people, die!!!

... and I guess the Holocaust wasn't such a bad thing after all. Probably stopped climate change for a couple of weeks.

I really wish you wouldn't do stuff like this. I'm inclined to agree that there is a toxic strain of misanthropy running through much of environmentalism (especially the Deep Ecology Movement), but when you post like this, you make us look like idiots.

Lyle
12-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Really? Facetiousness equates to idiotic does it? :)