PDA

View Full Version : Hitchens vs Bob

grangerb
11-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Christopher Hitchens has a response on Slate to Bob's NYTimes Op-ed about the Fort Hood Shooter. Hitchens analysis cuts like a knife as always but I think in this case he has missed the main nerve of Bob's argument. We need to lobby for a DV to hash out this disagreement.

bjkeefe
11-24-2009, 12:18 PM
We need to lobby for a DV to hash out this disagreement.

I second that. I would love to hear Hitch and Bob discuss this.

uncle ebeneezer
11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Third! Along with a Hurlburt/Kagan matchup, this would be at the top of my BH wishlist.

AemJeff
11-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Third! Along with a Hurlburt/Kagan matchup, this would be at the top of my BH wishlist.

I won't "fourth," but I'll note that I think it would be awesome.

PreppyMcPrepperson
11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I second that. I would love to hear Hitch and Bob discuss this.

Yes, please.

Lyle
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
This wouldn't be a fair fight. It would be like the Bob v. Bob diavlogs, and Hitchens is better than Kagan.

I totally agree with Hitchens, by the way.

JonIrenicus
11-26-2009, 04:21 AM
I read Bobs piece, the thing is though, some of it is based on a lie.

It may be the case that the perception is that the US is out murdering muslims among many muslims. But does it matter whether that is actually true?

99% of all muslims that are murdered are murdered by other muslims, not the US. Not its policies. You wonder where some people think the intolerance springs, as if without the US it would simply cease.

I cannot abide the logic that suggests the bulk of the rot and decay within the radicalized muslim world is Americas doing. They have done that themselves. And highlighting stupid rationales as "good evidence" about our cause of the misery serves no one.

Take this passage:
"
And the Fort Hood shooting wasn’t the only recent step along that slope. Six months ago a 24-year-old American named Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad — Carlos Bledsoe before his teenage conversion to Islam — fatally shot a soldier outside a recruiting station in Little Rock, Ark. ABC News reported, “It was not known what path Muhammad ... had followed to radicalization.” Well, here’s a clue: After being arrested he started babbling to the police about the killing of Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/opinion/22wright.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

What it suggests to me is that this fool was both profoundly stupid, and ethically bankrupt. It is a slight against HIM, and his belief system that such piss poor analysis and choices can take such hold within a man.

Is there no place for character in the world view of the left?

What the hell is the POINT of a belief system, at least as an ideal, if not to build character, to promote the good, and minimize the bad?

For gods sakes, With such a track record, I would scour my own community and teachings to try and understand why such actions and beliefs about the world take such hold.

And NOT blame it on the US, remove the US from this earth, remove the Jews from Israel, you still have honor killings, still have despots and theocracies and dictatorships, sharia, genital mutilation, madrassas. The idea that this cesspool is the result of the US is absurd. It is ideas like this that HURT muslims, it points their attention, like this fool and others who murdered innocents (on PURPOSE - something still lost on some of you as distinct and WORSE) towards actions by the US, which is NOT the source, instead of pointing the finger toward the mirrors reflection.

grangerb
12-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Hitchens vs Bob FTW!