I want one.

Whatfur
11-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Ooooo...and I am in the market.

bjkeefe
11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8suA2BdwsN0

I want one.

Pretty nice looking machine, but I can only listen to some suit say "solution" and "form factor" so many times.

Whatfur
11-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Pretty nice looking machine, but I can only listen to some suit say "solution" and "form factor" so many times.

The guy struck you as a "suit"? (Although I agree the 4 minutes could have been 1.5)

bjkeefe
11-18-2009, 09:17 AM
The guy struck you as a "suit"? (Although I agree the 4 minutes could have been 1.5)

Yeah. Total suit-speak, ersatz hipster look notwithstanding.

cragger
11-19-2009, 12:05 AM
But does your PC reflect your taste and your style? What matter the lack of an optical drive so that you can actually load software on it. If the color was only changeable to match one's nail polish, it would be an absolute must-have accessory for anyone who wants to make a fashion statement.

TwinSwords
11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
But does your PC reflect your taste and your style? What matter the lack of an optical drive so that you can actually load software on it. If the color was only changeable to match one's nail polish, it would be an absolute must-have accessory for anyone who wants to make a fashion statement.

ROFL. Funny, I had the same response to the ad. They spent about four seconds on actual, you know, specifications.

AemJeff
11-19-2009, 12:32 AM
ROFL. Funny, I had the same response to the ad. They spent about four seconds on actual, you know, specifications.

Meh. Shiny. Apple does design better. Lenovo does tech better.

TwinSwords
11-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Meh. Shiny. Apple does design better. Lenovo does tech better.

Agreed on both counts -- Lenovo and Apple. It may be shiny, but it's an HP.

JonIrenicus
11-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Agreed on both counts -- Lenovo and Apple. It may be shiny, but it's an HP.

Resting on laurels, hopefully those companies are not going to do that, never ends well.

This model is one of the step above netbook lines, bit larger, but still small and thin. It won't outperform a standard notebook, but is not meant to, it will however trounce pretty much all atom based netbooks.

Asus makes several, hp more recently got into the game with this one. Toshiba as well. Just looking around because I am not pleased with my netbook performance. I am too impatient to wait for larger web pages to load due to the atom bottleneck.

TwinSwords
11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a friend who was in the market for a new PC last summer, i.e., 3 months ago. He came across a compelling ad that emphasized style and design and attractiveness; not specficiations. And he asked me my opinion of the reasonably priced machine. So I dug into the specs. The CPU being used in the machine was from 2003.

Advertisers are able to sell old, underperforming junk to consumers by emphasizing everything except the specifications. And specifications are really the only important thing. (I'll grant that in the case of laptops, design (weight, form factor) is also important, but you still have to know what's running in the machine to know if it's going to perform to expectations.)

JonIrenicus
11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I have a friend who was in the market for a new PC last summer, i.e., 3 months ago. He came across a compelling ad that emphasized style and design and attractiveness; not specficiations. And he asked me my opinion of the reasonably priced machine. So I dug into the specs. The CPU being used in the machine was from 2003.

Advertisers are able to sell old, underperforming junk to consumers by emphasizing everything except the specifications. And specifications are really the only important thing. (I'll grant that in the case of laptops, design (weight, form factor) is also important, but you still have to know what's running in the machine to know if it's going to perform to expectations.)

For my purposes that one should do the trick. It's a dual core unlike the atom. Comes with a better graphics card. That coupled with the recent flash 10.1 release (gpu accelerated flash, and h.264 acceleration for certain graphics chips on up) it would serve all my needs (i.e. HD flash based video ala hulu/youtube). And look pretty. Even the netbook almost serves all my wants/needs. But the bottleneck on larger web pages due to lower ram, a slower cpu, and just being a single core is annoying.

Also, you can configure the dm3, much like the asus ul series with faster culv intels, lower voltage models, but that is fine unless you need more raw performance. The asus models claim up to 12 hour battery life depending on cpu choice. The hp up to 10.

bjkeefe
11-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Heh. I do have to say, depending on one's usage patterns, an optical drive may be a good thing to omit (in the interest of trimming both price and weight). I've probably installed a hundred different pieces of software in the past few years without needing a CD- or DVD drive -- it's all downloads these days. (And uploads, for backups.) I think for my next machine I'd probably be happy not to have an optical drive if everything else was the way I wanted it, and figure I could buy or borrow an external drive if I ever did need one.

look
01-24-2010, 02:55 PM
the small notebooks come with a wireless thingie...why don't regular laptops?

bjkeefe
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Except for some of these (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/geneva-auto-show/).

JonIrenicus
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Except for some of these (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/geneva-auto-show/).

I like the Hyundai iflow concept best, don't know what that guy was talking about it getting dated quickly.

Also, I got the dm3. It really is the best looking notebook I have ever owned. And one of the best looking notebooks ever made.

bjkeefe
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I like the Hyundai iflow concept best, don't know what that guy was talking about it getting dated quickly.

Yeah, I agree. I liked it, too, although I have to say, at first glance, the Porsche and the Pininfarina 2uettottanta caused the most drool for me.

Also, I got the dm3. It really is the best looking notebook I have ever owned. And one of the best looking notebooks ever made.

Hey, great! Glad to hear it.

kezboard
03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Hyundai chose “fluidic sculpture” for its design philosophy, and the lines of the i-Flow are fluid indeed.

Oh my god, if I ever heard someone use the word 'fluidic', metaphorically, in real life, I would probably have to punch them in the mouth.