PDA

View Full Version : China: Dalai Lama = Jefferson Davis

Lyle
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE5AB1BF20091112

Qin underscored -- and possibly intensified -- the political temperature of the issue by citing Obama's background and admiration for President Abraham Lincoln, who opposed the secession of the southern states and sought to abolish slavery, which Qin likened to Tibetan society under the Dalai Lama.

After Obama's inauguration, the U.S. president said he would not have been able to reach that position without the efforts of Lincoln, said Qin.

"He is a black president, and he understands the slavery abolition movement and Lincoln's major significance for that movement," said Qin.

"Lincoln played an incomparable role in protecting the national unity and territorial integrity of the United States."

Beijing calls the Dalai Lama a dangerous "splittist" encouraging Tibetan independence, a charge he denies. He says he is merely seeking true autonomy for Tibet, which last year erupted in riots and protests against the Chinese presence.

China's stance was like Lincoln's, said Qin.

"Thus on this issue we hope that President Obama, more than any other foreign leader, can better, more deeply grasp China's stance on protecting national sovereignty and territorial integrity," said Qin.

Baltimoron
11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
China: Dalai Lama = Jefferson Davis

And, I thought I was an instigator. Nowhere in that article does Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang call the Dalai Lama "Jefferson Davis". Qin's analogy is bad enough; your added layer, as usual, is just inflammatory.

1. Tibet is, and never has been, a part of the China proper. Unless, that is, the PRC wants to embrace the fact, that it's a multi-ethnic empire based on little more than fear And fear of Tibet is one of myriad of threats ancient Han leaders have milked to justify Beijing's autocracy.

2. I've quarreled with Tibetans about the value of their religious traditions, so I'm not going to extol Tibetan Buddhism. But, for all my contempt for the institution he represents, the Dalai Lama is not a slave-owner.

3. President Obama can also lecture Qin about how generations of the slaveocracy dreamed of extending American empire south to the tip of Tierra del Fuego with colonies of African slaves. Come to think of it, Jeff Davis and Hu Jintao is a more interesting comparison.

Lyle
11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Of course he didn't say it... but he implied it since he compared Tibet under the Dalai Lama to the Confederate States of America. So if Chinese leadership is Lincoln, what would that make the Dalai Lama... Jefferson Davis!

Generations of American slaveocracy also didn't dream of extending the American empire all the way down to South America. The Monroe Doctrine was not the same thing as Manifest Destiny.

Baltimoron
11-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Of course he didn't say it... but he implied it since he compared Tibet under the Dalai Lama to the Confederate States of America. So if Chinese leadership is Lincoln, what would that make the Dalai Lama... Jefferson Davis!

If you can imagine a comparison like the PRC and antebellum USA, you're far too reactionary for me.

Generations of American slaveocracy also didn't dream of extending the American empire all the way down to South America.

Filibusters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster_%28military%29)

William Walker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Walker_%28filibuster%29)

Jefferson Davis and Cuba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis#President_of_the_Confederate_State s_February_18.2C_1861-May_5.2C_1865)

Lyle
11-14-2009, 02:48 AM
The Chinese brought up Lincoln and slave owning, not I.

... and oh yeah, William Walker and all those guys equal generations of slaveocracy. William Walker wasn't even representing the United States. Those guys were crackpots. Farcical they were, farcical.

Baltimoron
11-14-2009, 03:04 AM
Like Aaron Burr and the man who coined the term, manifest destiny?

Lyle
11-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Aaron Burr dedinitely was a crackpot (at least his Burr Conspiracy was - the U.S. government even arrested and tried him for it) and applying Manifest Destiny beyond North America was nonsensical. I'm also pretty sure Manifest Destiny meant something different in the North than it did in the South, and the Northern version didn't include extending slavery anywhere.