PDA

View Full Version : Healthcare Reform Edition (Don Zeko & freedomforall)

Bloggingheads
10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
For those reading these comments in the forum, here's the link to the diavlog (http://apollo.bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/23021).

graz
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your efforts and sharing your singular if not unique perspectives.
I imagine your goal might have been to enlighten or inform - or even entertain? How do you think you did?
The links to your respective blogs indicate a desire to share thoughts and project a snapshot of self-identity and ideological bent. Well, success in that regard for sure. Healthcare reform - less so.

nikkibong
10-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for doing this guys, it was fun to watch.

Don, you were excellent. Fluid, knowledgeable, compelling. Please consider commenting.

mattcbrown
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Terry Ann says she just has an ideological position about government not getting involved in the marketplace. What she never does say is WHY she takes that position.

Ideological positions are dangerous things. Suppose a public option works best for everyone involved. Will you still stick with your "ideological position"?

mattcbrown
10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh, and I meant to say thanks to both of you for doing this!

popcorn_karate
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Don did pretty well. good points about how centrist democrats undermine their own talking points by eviscerating the very provisions that alleviate their supposed concerns (deficits).

freedom for all, you came across as not having any theory or ideas behind your ideology. This confirms my stereotypical view of a conservative, but I suspect you just got a little jittery from being on camera (i'm pretty sure i'd be worse) - better luck next time.

Don Zeko
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Nikkibong and Popcorn_karate, thanks for the compliments. And yes, I suppose I should comment in here, but I don't know how well I can keep up with the pace that comment threads tend to set.

Graz: interesting questions. Honestly, I don't know. I'm not sure what exactly Apollo diavlogs are going to deliver when they discuss issues that are discussed at length in the regular diavlogs. To be honest, I think I blog and get involved in things like this more because I enjoy doing so (even if nobody is listening) than because I think that I have something to offer the blogosphere that others aren't offering already.

graz
10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for your honest assessment. And more power to you for doing what you enjoy and offering a literate(blog) and well spoken(Apollo) opinion. Btw, I think people are listening. Cheers.

PreppyMcPrepperson
10-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for this, both.

One thing I would've wanted to hear more on, and which hasn't been properly addressed in the many DVs we've had from the 'professional' 'heads on health care, is the role Obama has played or should have played in shaping this proposal. Any thoughts Don?

Simon Willard
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Masking colors are better than in Apollo 1.
Sound quality is poor.

JonIrenicus
10-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Thoughts.

Don, very good job, you were very clear and had good questions you wanted answered. I just hope you do not take the absence of solid answers here for a nonexistence of solid answers.

freedomforall, it was a bit more spotty, but I will give the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to nerves. Personally I perform much better with time to refine my arguments through words. (yes I know, it Sooooooooo shows, you can end the eye rolls now)

But in the off chance those were the best arguments, some advice. It is not enough to say conservatives are against something for ideological reasons when engaging in a persuasive dialog. You need the rationale behind why conservatives are for or against something.

It is the difference between the arguments levied by a guy like Michael Medved vs a guy like Sean Hannity.

The first is far more persuasive because he dives into the why in his arguments, and the latter is mind numbingly painful to listen to because he often simply engages in the what he is against. The depth gap between the two is comical.

But again, these are the critiques of someone with time to think them out and write them out, a luxury not afforded to those who do this on the fly. But still, keep it in mind.