PDA

View Full Version : Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation

Brenda
09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Want to do a diavlog, but don't have a partner in mind? You've come to the right thread. State your conversational interests and, if relevant, your ideological leanings. Then look around the thread and see if anyone else seems like a good match for you. (You can also email us at apollo@bloggingheads.tv if you want us to more discreetly pair you with a diavlog partner.)

osmium
10-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Scientist seeks same to discuss:

1) The scientific method
2) The peer-review process
3) Whether or not people in different fields interact with the literature in different ways
4) Whether or not both the general public and well-meaning types like journalists misinterpret the workings of the literature.

PS I'm bad on the phone and fully expect to make an ass of myself.

PreppyMcPrepperson
10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Thank God someone responded to this--I was beginning to worry only Nikki and I were brave/craven enough to do this. Hope you find a partner O.

Me&theboys
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM

1) The scientific method
3) Whether or not people in different fields interact with the literature in different ways
4) Whether or not both the general public and well-meaning types like journalists misinterpret the workings of the literature.

I'd love to listen to that! Hope you find a partner. Would like to hear these issues discussed by both a "basic" scientist and a social scientist, either in one diavlog or in separate diavlogs. I suspect the above 4 topics vary considerably between the two, as perhaps do the standards of evidence for each (perhaps add standards of evidence as discussion topic 1a?). I have my fingers non-scientifically crossed for you.

Starwatcher162536
10-03-2009, 07:04 PM

1) The scientific method

Meh, all of those topics have been beaten to death, now, getting a kind of general summary about where battery technologies are heading from an actual electrochemist would be alot more interesting I think. An added bonus that would come with switching to my proposed topic is that you would not need to wrangle up another scientist, who I bet are in fairly short supply here, and could get by with a generalist instead.

P.S.
Can I take it from your screename that you are working on something trying to make an electrode from osmium for a metal hydride battery? What are yall using for an electrolyte?

SkepticDoc
10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I would like to argue with anyone that Evolution has no practical applications, or predictive usefulness for the scientific practice of Medicine.

My premises:

Evolution happened, and will continue to do so.

Evolution is a random process that cannot be predicted.

Earth is 4.5 billion +/- years old.

Most medical discoveries have been serendipitous accidents.

Other premises can be discussed a priori.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to have a debate with me.

nikkibong
10-08-2009, 09:18 AM

1) The scientific method

osmium, this sounds superb. looking forward to it.

especially the part where you make an ass of yourself. ;)

whatsinthename
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM

1) The scientific method

Well, I would love to debate these topics. Still interested?

osmium
10-09-2009, 12:34 AM
whatsinthename, thanks!--but I am set now to record a diavlog on Saturday, provided everything works. It's taken a while for me and my fellow-traveller to get our computers knocked into shape.

per the suggestion of both my fellow diavlogger and the bhtv staff, we will begin by discussing what we research, followed by the brief discussion of the literature i was hunting for. so, starwatcher, i'll talk about what i'm trying to do with batteries, biased though it is. and i'll explain how osmium comes into the equation. (or start to.)

see ya on the flipside.

look
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
whatsinthename, thanks!--but I am set now to record a diavlog on Saturday, provided everything works. It's taken a while for me and my fellow-traveller to get our computers knocked into shape.

per the suggestion of both my fellow diavlogger and the bhtv staff, we will begin by discussing what we research, followed by the brief discussion of the literature i was hunting for. so, starwatcher, i'll talk about what i'm trying to do with batteries, biased though it is. and i'll explain how osmium comes into the equation. (or start to.)

see ya on the flipside.Woo-hoo! Happy filming, to you both. You could maybe talk a little about meeting Bob?

whatsinthename
10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

see ya on the flipside.
Best of luck Buddy.

kidneystones
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
For getting the ball rolling and for setting such a high standard of discussion.

Good luck to others taking up the baton.

kidneystones
10-10-2009, 08:40 PM
One tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny oh so very, very tiny, teensy complaint. Filling the audio vacuum during deliberation with grunts and other assorted forms of inarticulate noise adds very little to the Apollo experience.

Take the time you need to formulate a response or statement. Most of us can deal with the silence. I expect Bob recommends crib sheets. I would.

And thanks, again!

Good luck to all!

Starwatcher162536
10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Not sure if you have recorded this one already or not, but if as yet you have not, you might one to explain what the difference is between a Professional Society's journals and an actual peer reviewed scientific Journal. I have never really been sure on what the differences are.

Just though you might be interested in talking about this, as you seem to want to focus on structural types of subjects

Starwatcher162536
10-13-2009, 10:04 PM
It would also be nice if you could give a general summary on any feelings you have towards assigning journal Impact Factors. Do you feel said factors are useful for you to get a good idea of the quality of some arbitrary journal? If not, why?

Starwatcher162536
10-13-2009, 10:10 PM
How do you feel those online non reviewed depositories (such as arXiv) measure up to the more standard printed journal that have the more formal application process?

Whatfur
10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
How do you feel those online non reviewed depositories (such as arXiv) measure up to the more standard printed journal that have the more formal application process?

Concerning your suggestions....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

osmium
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
My main professional society is the Electrochemical Society, and its journal (Journal of the Electrochemical Society, clever name) is a regular peer-reviewed affair. They also have a more magazine-type thing, called Interface, which is on slick paper and not peer-reviewed.

The main journal of the American Chemical Society, JACS, is also a (fairly prestigious) peer-reviewed journal.

You might be specifically thinking about something like the IEEE Journal, which I have to confess, I don't understand myself.

osmium
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
And this is an insightful question, because I don't find that people agree on this at all. I think impact factors are mainly to be ignored. On a gross level, they kind of mean something because Science and Nature both have high impact factors.

But down among the real workaday journals, there are crappy journals with high-ish factors (4), while some that I would revere are at a 1.5. Some things just do not lend themselves to quantification. I believe this is one of those things.

The best written blog on earth might only have modest traffic, while shitty ones get a billion hits. (Not naming names!) Same with impact factors.

osmium
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Actually a lot of questions of scientific communication are directly paralleled in social media. It's a question of a mass of information or content, being referenced in a network. Using metrics to pick out "good stuff" is the same whether it's in the scientific literature or on technorati or in google ranks.

All scientists know their H-number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-index), and an H-number is pretty much the same thing as a technorati score or "tumblarity" on tumblr, or maybe (sort of) like how many twitter followers you have.

But, always, you have to use your brain when you read numbers like these. A great scientist who publishes very little would not build a big H-number. But, he/she would still be great.

hamandcheese
10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Topics I'm Interested in Discussing:

* The Shallowness of Right-wing Libertarianism (as a former Ron Paul supporter turned Keynesian Social Democrat)
* Ayn Rand and objectivism (its cult status; its philosophical backbone; etc.)
* The problems of the Environmental movement and the New Left
* Anti-capitalism and why I think capitalism is great, even as a social democrat.
* Ethics and Morality
* The Evolution of God (esp. a discussion on bob's Logos arguments for a 'higher purpose' as someone who liked the book but found that part to be wanting)
* Any Epistemology subject
* Atheism and humanism (as an atheist humanist)
* Virtually anything economics, particularly theory.
* Nihilism/Existentialism as someone who thinks the normal arguments against them are weaker then they should be.

Catch me at:
theham88@gmail.com

Take issue with me at:
http://www.createdebate.com/user/viewprofile/Hamandcheese
http://forums.philosophyforums.com/members/hamandcheese-18403.html

TwinSwords
10-26-2009, 03:55 PM

* The Shallowness of Right-wing Libertarianism (as a former Ron Paul supporter turned Keynesian Social Democrat)
* Anti-capitalism and why I think capitalism is great, even as a social democrat.
* Ethics and Morality
* The Evolution of God (esp. a discussion on bob's Logos arguments for a 'higher purpose' as someone who liked the book but found that part to be wanting)
* Nihilism/Existentialism as someone who thinks the normal arguments against them are weaker then they should be.

Sounds like fascinating subject matter - especially the first two and fourth bullets. I hope you find a diavlog partner. Maybe claymisher or Bobby G would be good candidates, as I'm sure both could opine thoughtfully on those topics.

I'm curious, when did you become a "former" Ron Paul supporter? Are you one of the few living Americans who was actually aware of Paul's existence prior to his 2008 presidential campaign? Or a recent convert? My brother (god help him) voted for Ron Paul in 1988, when he was running on the Libertarian ticket.

hamandcheese
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm curious, when did you become a "former" Ron Paul supporter? Are you one of the few living Americans who was actually aware of Paul's existence prior to his 2008 presidential campaign? Or a recent convert? My brother (god help him) voted for Ron Paul in 1988, when he was running on the Libertarian ticket.

I'm actually Canadian :3 but I have an American in my household, and like most Canadians we watch your politics just as intently as our own (actually, way more intently). I was a libertarian well before the 2008 elections originally of a Fraser Institute (our Cato) bent. I followed Ron Paul from the beginning. I didn't so much reject libertarianism as went through a process of disillusion. Strangely, it came from reading more economics. I still hold a lot of my libertarian intuitions though.

claymisher
10-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm actually Canadian :3 but I have an American in my household, and like most Canadians we watch your politics just as intently as our own (actually, way more intently). I was a libertarian well before the 2008 elections originally of a Fraser Institute (our Cato) bent. I followed Ron Paul from the beginning. I didn't so much reject libertarianism as went through a process of disillusion. Strangely, it came from reading more economics. I still hold a lot of my libertarian intuitions though.

You're reading the wrong economics.

Bobby G
10-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, from what I recall, about 2/3 of economists vote Democratic (and this was in the beginning of the Bush era), so they may be reading the wrong economics too (or they agree with 1/3 who vote Republican about most economics, but disagree about the nature of politics).

Don Zeko
10-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Care to elaborate on #3? I doubt that I'd be the best interlocutor, but I'd like to hear what exactly you'd like to discuss. Who knows, maybe I'd be up for a discussion/argument.

hamandcheese
10-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Maha was first to email me so I'm taken. We're doing a sort of amalgamation of the topics I suggested with a focus on number 3. If it's enjoyable, down the road I might message those who expressed interest.

hamandcheese
11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Are their any anarchists on bloggingheads? Ideally anyone who accepts the non-initiation of force. Second best would be someone very libertarian, "limited government".

If so, I want to debate your fundamental values in a diavlog.

theham88@gmail.com

jimM47
11-02-2009, 07:54 PM

* Ethics and Morality

Catch me at:
theham88@gmail.com

Take issue with me at:
http://www.createdebate.com/user/viewprofile/Hamandcheese
http://forums.philosophyforums.com/members/hamandcheese-18403.html

I can't speak to the Ayn Rand issue, since I've studiously avoided reading her, but most of the other topics sound interesting, and like ones I have thought about. I was involved somewhat with the Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty during the 2008 caucuses, and it might be interesting to talk about some of my ambivalent feelings on the whole experience. My background is in religious studies, but I've long been interested in economics.

As a caveat, I am a bit busy and I am not an incredibly frequent commenter here, so I don't know if I'm really who should be participating in the Apollo project. But feel free to send me a PM if you are interested and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

dpc
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree that impact factors are highly misleading. Unfortunately, they are 'important' for getting jobs and promotion. I am an ecologist and non-ecologists within a biology department usually do not have a good idea of what the 'good' ecology journals are -- as I cannot quickly assess developmental bio. journals. Sadly, the impact factor is often a short hand for the impact of your individual research.

All of this is especially important in getting in your first job. I am not arguing that this is a good thing but it is a true thing (at least in the ecology/evolution world).

Don Zeko
12-08-2009, 04:38 PM
We are yet to have an Apollo diavlog about afghanistan or any other foreign policy topic. If anyone has some ideas, I'd be happy to try and rectify this situation. I'd prefer to discuss the feasibility and desirability of counterinsurgency in Afghanistan, but I'm always open to other ideas too. Any takers?

kezboard
12-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I want to talk about foreign policy, but I specifically don't want to talk about Afghanistan because I don't feel sufficiently informed. I'd like to talk about democracy promotion in general, though, if you're interested.

PreppyMcPrepperson
12-09-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm game. I'm in Pakistan now, so I have a slightly different view onto things than you probably do from there.

Don Zeko
12-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Sounds promising. Would you mind giving me a quick summary of your attitudes towards what we're doing in Afghanistan and Pakistan, so we can get a sense of how much ditto-ing would be likely to occur? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where in Pakistan are you?

Don Zeko
12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm more interested in talking specifically about the Afghanistan situation, but would be up for chatting about democracy promotion as well. Do you have a particular point in mind that you would like to discuss?

kezboard
12-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Sort of, not really. I'd like to talk about the future of democracy promotion and what that whole idea even means, and to what extent democracy is exportable. I emailed the Bloggingheads people saying that I wanted to have a diavlog about the fall of the Berlin wall and what that meant for American foreign policy in terms of validating the idea that democracy is somehow inevitable and exportable -- I specifically wanted to talk about Eastern Europe, because that's what I know about, but I can talk about anything.

I just won't talk about whether what Obama's doing is a good strategy or not, because I have really no informed opinion beyond "Wow, I hope it doesn't fail". If you specifically want to talk about counterinsurgency vs. counterterrorism and what are the benefits and drawbacks of these strategies, I'm probably not the person for you, but I would like to talk about the sort of theories of democracy promotion and whether it's what the US should be doing.

nikkibong
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I want to talk about foreign policy, but I specifically don't want to talk about Afghanistan because I don't feel sufficiently informed. I'd like to talk about democracy promotion in general, though, if you're interested.

I would be very interested in hearing from you, kez.

jimM47
01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Remember when there were more law-related diavlogs? Bh.tv has been missing that lately.

Would anyone be interested in trying to do a primarily informational apollo diavlog on McDonald v. Chicago? (Oral Argument is in early March, and these take about a month to get up, so we'd need to record it by early February so as not to be out-of-date by airtime.)

Don Zeko
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
So I'd like to do an apollo DV in which I argue that American political institutions, i.e. the filibuster, holds, the electoral college, etc. etc. etc. need major reform. Anybody interested in disagreeing with me for a half hour on this stuff?

ledocs
02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Don Zeko said:

So I'd like to do an apollo DV in which I argue that American political institutions, i.e. the filibuster, holds, the electoral college, etc. etc. etc. need major reform. Anybody interested in disagreeing with me for a half hour on this stuff?

I don't want to disagree with you, because I tend to agree. I do have a suggestion, though, and that is that, if you find a willing partner, you focus on the book by Robert Dahl, "How Democratic is the American Constitution?" This is a strange suggestion to make, perhaps, because I have not read the book, although I just ordered it. I did read a lengthy review of the book when it appeared.

In Frank Rich's NYT column of last Sunday, he refers to a recent statement or speech or article, it's not clear what, by Alan Brinkley, a sort of left-wing historian at Columbia, to the effect that the American system is in a state of sclerosis that is preventing America from confronting its many serious problems (education, structural federal deficit, etc.). But when I clicked on Rich's link to Brinkley, I got more or less nowhere, and I could not find out what Rich was referring to by using Google either.

On the radio show "Left, Right, and Center," to which I listen regularly, there were one or two recent segments posing the question of whether the American political system is in crisis. Answer, going right to left: Tony Blankley, "No," Matt Miller, "Yes", Arianna Huffington, "Yes", Robert Scheer, "No," at least I think Scheer implied a no. I would not swear to this. He might have been equivocal. But my guess would be that the only respondent who is really looking at the question seriously from an institutional point of view is Matt Miller. Brink Lindsey just said, at the end of a diavlog with Josh Cohen, that he, Lindsey, unlike some progressives, does not think that the American political system is in crisis.

I think this is something bhtv should be exploring and has not been. I like your general idea for a diavlog.

[Could someone explain to me how to insure that one's post goes into the correct place in the Threaded display mode? I just realized that the number assigned to a post is not absolute, it depends upon what display mode one is in. That seems very strange to me. This post was intended to come immediately after Don Zeko's post about doing an Apollo diavlog, but my initial post came before that post in Threaded Mode and after it in Linear Mode, and the same post was assigned different numbers in the two cases.]

TwinSwords
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
[Could someone explain to me how to insure that one's post goes into the correct place in the Threaded display mode?
Sure. Just make sure you click the Reply button or the Quote button on the post to which you are replying; this will ensure that the reply is properly "attached" to the post you're replying to if displayed in the Threaded or Hybrid view. It will have no bearing, though, on where the post is listed in the linear view. The linear view is strictly chronological: posts are listed in the order they were posted. The only way a problem will surface is if you click the Reply or Quote button for a post other than the one you are replying to, and then the problem will only manifest when you view the thread in Threaded or Hybrid mode.

Starwatcher162536
02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Not an area I am erudite in, so I doubt I would be a good partner, but I hope you find one. Sounds like it would be an interesting diavlog.

Don Zeko
02-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Sounds like it would be an interesting diavlog.

i agree, that's why I'm disappointed that I haven't found any potential partners yet. Is there anybody that agrees with me on the basic premise, but would like to talk specifics, or better yet, discuss how to get these reforms to happen?

look
02-12-2010, 09:03 PM
i agree, that's why I'm disappointed that I haven't found any potential partners yet. Is there anybody that agrees with me on the basic premise, but would like to talk specifics, or better yet, discuss how to get these reforms to happen?Perhaps you could invite Professor Althouse. She's a constitutional lawyer who might be interested.

Don Zeko
02-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Perhaps you could invite Professor Althouse. She's a constitutional lawyer who might be interested.

Oh god.

PreppyMcPrepperson
02-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Oh god.

Actually, Look, raises an interesting point. There are many on these boards who are critical of the Apollo/FrontPage divide. Yet, it's also the case that having set up BHTV specifically as a site that would be curated, it doesn't fit Bob's model to simply turn all us lowlifes into front-pagers tomorrow. Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

look
02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh god.Oh no you dih-eh.

AemJeff
02-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Actually, Look, raises an interesting point. There are many on these boards who are critical of the Apollo/FrontPage divide. Yet, it's also the case that having set up BHTV specifically as a site that would be curated, it doesn't fit Bob's model to simply turn all us lowlifes into front-pagers tomorrow. Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

Possibly, but the suggestion was pure flame-bait.

graz
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Nice stab at career promotion. Have you petitioned Bob for front page status? You assume that some grand design is preventing a crossing-over from Apollo to what? What can you do on the front page that hasn't already been in evidence through Apollo?

Your jest about lowlife status undermines your valued efforts thus far. Why don't you and Don Zeko match up for a discussion?

nikkibong
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
What can you do on the front page that hasn't already been in evidence through Apollo?

Well, she could speak in technicolor (!) instead of weird and vaguely unpleasant acid trip coloration.

Plus, she'd have a bigger audience, which I'm sure you'll agree counts for something. And the second class status is kind of lame and demeaning...

Incidentally, what qualifications does Alyssa Rosenberg (first string, what??) have that Preppy doesn't?

Addendum: I already know how you are going to interpret this comment, graz.

Ocean
02-13-2010, 11:19 AM

:)

AemJeff
02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, she could speak in technicolor (!) instead of weird and vaguely unpleasant acid trip coloration.

Plus, she'd have a bigger audience, which I'm sure you'll agree counts for something. And the second class status is kind of lame and demeaning...

Incidentally, what qualifications does Alyssa Rosenberg (first string, what??) have that Preppy doesn't?

You know (as does Preppy) as well as I do that it has little or nothing to do with your personal qualifications, and nearly everything to do with how you get the microphone (as it were.) There's a channel defined for getting onto the Apollo page (ask, or be invited by someone who has asked), and a completely different one for the main page (be invited by bookers at BhTV.)

nikkibong
02-13-2010, 11:25 AM
You know (as does Preppy) as well as I do that it has little or nothing to do with your personal qualifications, and nearly everything to do with how you get the microphone (as it were.) There's a channel defined for getting onto the Apollo pagew (ask, or be invited by someone who has asked), and a completely different one for the main page (be invited by bookers at BhTV.)

What the hell? Of course it has to do with personal qualifications: only people who are "qualified" (thought to be sufficiently prominent) are booked. My point was that it's a strangely applied standard...at times, seemingly arbitrary.

I'm not sure what point you think you're making...or how it is a contradiction of what I said.

AemJeff
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
What the hell? Of course it has to do with personal qualifications: only people who are "qualified" (thought to be sufficiently prominent) are booked. My point was that it's a strangely applied standard...at times, seemingly arbitrary.

I think you've missed my point. It's not sufficient to be qualified - the number of qualified people is obviously far greater than the available slots. The way it's done is just what I said, previously. It's possible that petitioning here might help - I have no special knowledge about that. I think that seems unlikely; and I suspect that you do, too.

graz
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Mind reader! :)

Same question to you: Have you petitioned Bob directly? You've made the same point a number of times. We all are aware that the apparent qualifications for front page status is a pulse... only assumed after viewing certain egregious examples of fail. We also know that you, have good reason to believe, that you are as qualified as many of the DV'ers, especially in your estimation. All that's been proven is that life's not fair and bhtv isn't perfect.

graz
02-13-2010, 11:35 AM
:)

Thanks mother hen.

nikkibong
02-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Mind reader! :)

Same question to you: Have you petitioned Bob directly? You've made the same point a number of times. We all are aware that the apparent qualifications for front page status is a pulse... only assumed after viewing certain egregious examples of fail. We also know that you, have good reason to believe, that you are as qualified as many of the DV'ers, especially in your estimation. All that's been proven is that life's not fair and bhtv isn't perfect.

lol.

no, no, i haven't petitioned anyone. honestly, i don't care all that much. i'm actually bothered more by the fact that people who are blatantly unqualified make it to the first string. it's not my snubbing so much as their undeserved "fame..."

also, alyssa rosenberg really annoys me. i sense a new sullivan coming on. what is it with the atlantic? (i cancelled my subscription) i also had a contretemps via email with her where she was rude as hell ... but that is another story.

Ocean
02-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks mother hen.

http://twenty4karat.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/pp-lsh0007mother-hen-posters1.jpg

graz
02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I love you man!

i'm actually bothered more by the fact that people who are blatantly unqualified make it to the first string. it's not my snubbing so much as their undeserved "fame..."

How might doctor Ocean interpret that one? :)

I think your gripe is shared by some. There is no feedback loop for criticism of the booking arrangement. We are resigned to taking what's offered. For better or worse.

graz
02-13-2010, 11:52 AM
http://twenty4karat.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/pp-lsh0007mother-hen-posters1.jpg

It's a noble and rewarding calling:
Ain't nobody here 'cept us chickens. (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=410238&c=1)

Ocean
02-13-2010, 12:04 PM
It's a noble and rewarding calling:
Ain't nobody here 'cept us chickens. (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=410238&c=1)

A good cockerel enjoys droit de seigneur (frequently) but is a fierce and brave protector of the flock, putting himself between the threat and the hens, defending to the death if necessary. When tasty food is served he waits courteously for the hens to have their fill. A diffident cockerel is cold-shouldered by the hens.

LOL! Listen to that wisdom!

Ocean
02-13-2010, 12:07 PM
How might doctor Ocean interpret that one? :)

Doctor Ocean will not.

Starwatcher162536
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Considering the level of hackery we get sometimes, have you ever stopped and considered that maybe it is the Apollo section that is really the elitist quality controlled area?

bjkeefe
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Egg-cellent.

Ocean
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Egg-cellent.

Thanks. It isn't my most recent picture though. ;)

Wonderment
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
There is no feedback loop for criticism of the booking arrangement. We are resigned to taking what's offered. For better or worse.

Yes, there is. You might consider the "view" data and the number of comments generated.

That's how we vote: We watch, we comment (or decline to do either).

If you have a Mickey/Bob chat that generates 5,000 views or a Hitchens appearance that generates 19,000, while UN Plaza gets 50 hits, that's pretty much all the feedback Bob needs. (To Bob's great credit, however, he hasn't pulled the plug on UN Plaza, in spite of bad ratings).

graz
02-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Yes, there is. You might consider the "view" data and the number of comments generated.

That's how we vote: We watch, we comment (or decline to do either).

If you have a Mickey/Bob chat that generates 5,000 views or a Hitchens appearance that generates 19,000, while UN Plaza gets 50 hits, that's pretty much all the feedback Bob needs. (To Bob's great credit, however, he hasn't pulled the plug on UN Plaza, in spite of bad ratings).

Your point is well taken, consider me standing corrected. Why is it all about Bob... what about my needs?

look
02-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Your point is well taken, consider me standing corrected. Why is it all about Bob... what about my needs?To hell with your needs, you busker abuser. What about myyyyy neeeeeds?

PreppyMcPrepperson
02-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Nice stab at career promotion. Have you petitioned Bob for front page status? You assume that some grand design is preventing a crossing-over from Apollo to what? What can you do on the front page that hasn't already been in evidence through Apollo?

Your jest about lowlife status undermines your valued efforts thus far. Why don't you and Don Zeko match up for a discussion?

I haven't petitioned Bob. I don't harbor any delusions that I'm the career equivalent of the folks on the front page. Yes, as nikkibong points out, there are plenty of 'heads who seem underqualified on the front page, but the large majority are great. That's why we're all watching in the first place. And part of the reason they are great is that Bob and his staff pick them after some consideration, as Jeff says. That's the model here.

I'm suggesting that given that model, it was a little bit of a Pandora's box to create an amateur channel because if the Apollonians turn out to be good, then there's a hole in the premise of the we-pick-the-best-of-the-web model that BHTV has. For example, having seen Zeko twice in the Apollo, and reading his latest request on the boards for a DV about political procedure, to which no Apollonians have responded, I'd love to see him debate that with Mark Schmitt, who has spoken about the filibuster before. And I'm suggesting that BHTV facilitate that.

Yes, graz, I personally would benefit from such a system. Since when are people not allowed to have good ideas that also benefit them?

TwinSwords
02-14-2010, 06:45 AM
i agree, that's why I'm disappointed that I haven't found any potential partners yet. Is there anybody that agrees with me on the basic premise, but would like to talk specifics, or better yet, discuss how to get these reforms to happen?

You know, I just don't think the forum is the right place to find partners. If the pace of new Apollo diavlogs is any indication, it's hard to conclude anything else. I said when the idea was first proposed that forums are filled with introverts. (This is not an insult; it's a description.) People who choose to spend a lot of time on a computer forum tend not to be the kind of people who want to be seen by millions on camera.

Sadly necessary caveats: Not all forum dwellers are introverts; not all forum dwellers don't want to be on camera. Some forum dwellers are extroverts; some forum dwellers would love to be on camera.

YouTube is overflowing with people who will turn on the camera and talk endlessly about anything and everything. If Apollo can't attract more people to do diavlogs than it has already, it's because it's looking for them in the wrong place. Maybe you should try to find some smart, reasonable people on YouTube and recruit them to come over here. I'm aware of some really smart YouTubers, but despite my efforts, I've not been able to convince any of them to make the leap.

I have to admit, they're not encouraged by the fact that BHTV masks people with that crazy filter. That's probably at least part of the reason Apollo is floundering.

Anyway. . . .

graz
02-14-2010, 11:14 AM
I haven't petitioned Bob. I don't harbor any delusions that I'm the career equivalent of the folks on the front page. Yes, as nikkibong points out, there are plenty of 'heads who seem underqualified on the front page, but the large majority are great. That's why we're all watching in the first place. And part of the reason they are great is that Bob and his staff pick them after some consideration, as Jeff says. That's the model here.

I'm suggesting that given that model, it was a little bit of a Pandora's box to create an amateur channel because if the Apollonians turn out to be good, then there's a hole in the premise of the we-pick-the-best-of-the-web model that BHTV has. For example, having seen Zeko twice in the Apollo, and reading his latest request on the boards for a DV about political procedure, to which no Apollonians have responded, I'd love to see him debate that with Mark Schmitt, who has spoken about the filibuster before. And I'm suggesting that BHTV facilitate that.

Yes, graz, I personally would benefit from such a system. Since when are people not allowed to have good ideas that also benefit them?

So it's your CV that is preventing advancement to the front page?
Because if it were a meritocracy, you and nikki would already be there. Many agree.
The bookers are wise, except when they're not. You covered all bases there. Well, except being grateful by expressing thanks for the opportunity to use the Apollo forum. You know... to advance your ideas and career.

You've set up a lovely scenario, which includes a pandora's box, an injustice that needs a fix, and a route for promoting yourself to the vaunted front page. No shame in that. Go for it. Since you don't wish to use a direct approach, let's underscore the good idea again:

Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

AemJeff
02-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Why not take Zeko up on his offer? It's a good topic - I don't have the degree of specific knowledge I believe would be required to play devil's advocate on the question. I imagine that you might. It might not be the main page, but it's an option that's open to you.

jimM47
02-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think it is just the pace of connections made on the forum. It seems like the bh.tv policy of not airing apollo diavlogs until well after they've been recorded is designed to limit the number recorded.

AemJeff
02-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't think it is just the pace of connections made on the forum. It seems like the bh.tv policy of not airing apollo diavlogs until well after they've been recorded is designed to limit the number recorded.

I'd guess that that may be partly due to how much staff time is available to prepare the final product, too.

PreppyMcPrepperson
02-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Why not take Zeko up on his offer? It's a good topic - I don't have the degree of specific knowledge I believe would be required to play devil's advocate on the question. I imagine that you might. It might not be the main page, but it's an option that's open to you.

I'm not sure I have the knowledge either. Moreover, I don't think it's fair/right for me to do another DV yet. I've done three already and it's not supposed to be The Preppy Show. Contrary to appearances, I do know when to shut up ;)

look
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure I have the knowledge either. Moreover, I don't think it's fair/right for me to do another DV yet. I've done three already and it's not supposed to be The Preppy Show. Contrary to appearances, I do know when to shut up ;)I think we need a monthly update from Pakistan. If everyone emails Brenda with encouragement, maybe...

osmium
02-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd guess that that may be partly due to how much staff time is available to prepare the final product, too.

On IRW and my second go-round, we tried hard to make sure no editing was required--I think it was up in a day or two.

Don Zeko
02-15-2010, 03:06 PM
On IRW and my second go-round, we tried hard to make sure no editing was required--I think it was up in a day or two.

That's a fair description of my diavlog with Freedomforall as well. I think that the only diavlog with a long delay was the Af-Pak-India diavlog between me and PMP, which was delayed because of technical issues that were basically unique to that diavlog.

PreppyMcPrepperson
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
That's a fair description of my diavlog with Freedomforall as well. I think that the only diavlog with a long delay was the Af-Pak-India diavlog between me and PMP, which was delayed because of technical issues that were basically unique to that diavlog.

Yep. Had to do with my trouble getting a web connection strong enough to send a file that large.

Don Zeko
03-03-2010, 11:52 PM
This was a neat discussion and all, but I'm totally still interested in doing a DV about US institutional reform. Still no takers?

hamandcheese
03-12-2010, 09:44 PM
I would like to try another one. US institutional reform is a little general but we could figure something out.

theham88@gmail.com is my main contact

themightypuck
03-15-2010, 02:08 AM
Off topic, but how do you find the Apollo Project Dvlogs? There is no link on the front page. I've seen a link from time to time and I'm not sure how I got there. Does it rotate or is it linked to certain pages? Just curious.

bjkeefe
03-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Off topic, but how do you find the Apollo Project Dvlogs? There is no link on the front page. I've seen a link from time to time and I'm not sure how I got there. Does it rotate or is it linked to certain pages? Just curious.

One way: visit apollo.bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs (http://apollo.bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs).

Another way: Go to any specific regular diavlog video page, scroll down a bit, and look in the left column for an icon like this:

http://static.bloggingheads.tv/images/design_elements/apollo-ad-viewer15.png

(Note that in these two cases, the most recent Apollovlog will start playing, but you can pause it and get to the others from that page.)

Still another way: Go to the Apollo section (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17) in the forums, then go to the thread in that section connected to the diavlog you're interested in. Note that you'll have to edit the link connected to the "View Diavlog" icon -- prepend apollo. to the URL; e.g.,

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/24630 -> http://apollo.bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/24630

themightypuck
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks. I should have done a bit of research since it now seems obvious that the link is on specific dvlog pages rather than the front page. DOH!!

bjkeefe
03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks.

y/w

I should have done a bit of research since it now seems obvious that the link is on specific dvlog pages rather than the front page. DOH!!

No prob. A lot of times, it's more efficient just to ask a question, and now that the Q&A exists, it might be easier for someone else to find it.

look
04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
http://static.bloggingheads.tv/images/mugshots/Carroll_Conn.jpg

I think Preppy and Nikki should be, too, as a rite of passage for our political Apollonians.

Preppy, I was thinking you should try to get the big dog, you know, Bob, to talk about the changing media.

Nikki, how about...hmmm, let me think...how about Reihan! or Douthat, to discuss the future of the Republican Party? Approach them with a request to interview them on their book?

Don Zeko
04-12-2010, 07:37 PM
[IMG]Nikki, how about...hmmm, let me think...how about Reihan! or Douthat, to discuss the future of the Republican Party? Approach them with a request to interview them on their book?

Have they not done a bhtv episode about their book yet? I can't remember; does anyone have a link?

bjkeefe
04-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Have they not done a bhtv episode about their book yet? I can't remember; does anyone have a link?

Yes. (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/12168)

Don Zeko
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Thought so. Thanks.

dameni
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Anyone interested in a conversation on the political connotations of public space? Can, does public space affect political discourse?

The word "public" and its etymological cousins: 'Pubic', 'Puberty' comes with the built-in notion that what is public is inherently adult or, at least, post-pubescent. Yet in practice, public space is --often enforced by law--pre-pubescent-- in that so called 'adult' activities are generally proscribed from public space. In Excesses: Eros and Culture, Alphonso Lingis made a very subversive connection between what we understand to be our 'private parts' and what is arguably an essential quality of capitalism: the right to proscribe, to exclude, to discriminate and, by extension, to define boundaries. Is public space really possible in capitalist society? Is the notion of shared space so utterly obscene as to represent a kind of civic exhibitionism that must be tightly regulated if not outright prohibited? Is the Castro district during Gay pride all that different from Miami beach during spring break? Who writes 'zoning laws' for the human body? (How much of it can be made public.)
Is this why the European style Piazza--Something very different from a park or a plaza-- is generally absent in American cities? Isn't public space the ideal market place?

Is that why walking around naked through public spaces is often perceived to be a leftist activity?

What's the libertarian attitude towards public space?

(I'm an architect, more of a theorist than a builder and this is a somewhat ongoing conversation in architecture and urban planning circles; yet, almost perversely, it rarely involves non-architects. I'm more interested in what the people we design for think than what other designers do...but I'll take other architects too.)

jimM47
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
The word "public" and its etymological cousins: 'Pubic', 'Puberty'

You might want to check this. The latin poplicus and pubis don't sound that similar, plus one is second declension, the other is third declension.

Yet in practice, public space is --often enforced by law--pre-pubescent-- in that so called 'adult' activities are generally proscribed from public space.

Some specificity might help here. Are you talking about expressive content or expressive form. Because it certainly seems as if adult-oriented expressive content pervades public space. Or do you mean "adult" as in nudity as an expressive form?

In Excesses: Eros and Culture, Alphonso Lingis made a very subversive connection between what we understand to be our 'private parts' and what is arguably an essential quality of capitalism: the right to proscribe, to exclude, to discriminate and, by extension, to define boundaries. Is public space really possible in capitalist society?

What's your definition of "public?" Is it possible in any society? The ability to use space inherently includes the ability to exclude other uses. I can't use a public baseball diamond to play baseball without excluding other people from it for a period of time. I can't use a track of land as a park without excluding someone else from building a shopping mall there. You can refrain from choosing by law whose competing uses win or lose, but you can't refrain from choosing at all whose competing uses win or lose. Someone has to win, be it by law, by custom, by societal pressures, or by force.

Is the notion of shared space so utterly obscene as to represent a kind of civic exhibitionism that must be tightly regulated if not outright prohibited?

I think you need to separate several related concepts here: 1) public in the sense of physically open to view, 2) public in the sense of accessible to population at large, 3) public in the sense of an open forum, and 4) public in the sense of owned by the people collectively. A park could be all four. A vacant lot could be 1, but not 2, 3 or 4. A town hall could be 2, 3 and 4, but not 1. A community center could be 2 and 3, but not 1 and 4. A private art gallery could be 3, but not 1, 2 or 4.

Is this why the European style Piazza--Something very different from a park or a plaza-- is generally absent in American cities? Isn't public space the ideal market place?

Different how? Physically? Culturally? Different in a way that can't be explained by the different history and growth patterns of the cities?

What's the libertarian attitude towards public space?

Not precisely sure what you are asking. But 1st Amendment absolutism, which is concerned that all speech restrictions in a public forum be content-neutral, is a big point for many libertarians. A certain amount of libertarian work explores the way informal systems evolve to regulate common resources. Libertarian legal theory tends to focus on minimizing arbitrary, partial, or differentially-applied rules; on promoting stewardship through ownership; on preventing waste by ensuring efficient alienability; and on recognizing the interconnected nature of competing land uses.

SkepticDoc
05-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Sounds like you found a sparring partner! :)

jimM47
05-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Depends on what the answers are. They probably determine whether what he or she really wants to discuss is inside or outside my realm of competence.

SkepticDoc
05-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Go for it!

The topic sounds like TED material, it would be refreshing to listen to an architectural discussion, if both of you can have a reasonable PM/e-mail exchange you'll know if the chemistry is right for a diavlog conversation.

Good Luck!

dameni
05-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Hello Jim,

You might want to check this. The latin poplicus and pubis don't sound that similar, plus one is second declension, the other is third declension.

I'm not a Latin scholar but it seems that the Latin root of the word 'public': 'Publicus' is influenced by 'pubes', adult population.

Here's an online etymological dictionary definition:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=public

mid-15c., "pertaining to the people," from O.Fr. public (c.1300), from L. publicus, altered (by influence of L. pubes "adult population, adult") from Old L. poplicus "pertaining to the people,"

Some specificity might help here. Are you talking about expressive content or expressive form. Because it certainly seems as if adult-oriented expressive content pervades public space. Or do you mean "adult" as in nudity as an expressive form?

If you think of a building as the embodiment of a boundary between public and private, you can also think of your clothing that way. While there are no building codes that I know of that prohibit that you build a completely transparent dwelling, there are laws, usually local and gender specific, that regulate how much of your body can be exposed in public even from within private property if that property is in sight of public space. So by extension, if you want to shower in your transparent house you either have to wear a bathing suit or build a fence. (yes, the steam in the shower would probably be occlusive enough. But but you know what I mean.)

What's your definition of "public?" Is it possible in any society? The ability to use space inherently includes the ability to exclude other uses. I can't use a public baseball diamond to play baseball without excluding other people from it for a period of time. I can't use a track of land as a park without excluding someone else from building a shopping mall there. You can refrain from choosing by law whose competing uses win or lose, but you can't refrain from choosing at all whose competing uses win or lose. Someone has to win, be it by law, by custom, by societal pressures, or by force.

I'm not sure I have a personal definition of public, but lets say for argument's sake--and within the context of physical space--public space is shared space: The sidewalks and the streets, parks, plazas, beaches. Anywhere an individual doesn't have a right to privacy. That may well include in some instances business that are open to the public, but not a private club. Sure, a baseball diamond in a public park excludes one pair teams from playing while another one is, but that's just like saying I cant stand exactly where you are standing until you move a bit or sit on an occupied shady bench in a park until someone stands up. no laws are needed, just common courtesy. As for the public appropriation of space by force of law, or expropriation: We don't seem to mind doing it to build highways and shopping malls; but without a commercial interest to satisfy, (with the pretext of a larger common good such as jobs and traffic,) we rarely, if ever, see land expropriated to devote space for the public's use anymore. (Here I use public as a noun in the sense of people, the general public: Pupulus) The last great expropriation was for the national parks I think. Some argue that forced environmental conservation is a kind of expropriation, or even worst, a conspiracy to affect property values; but that doesn't necessarily involve access by the Public. In fact it may even result in the government proscribing both public and private access to such 'protected' land.

Different how? Physically? Culturally? Different in a way that can't be explained by the different history and growth patterns of the cities?

The old European piazza isn't like a park or a plaza in the sense that unlike those it wasn't meant for recreation or relaxation. It's more like a town square. Parks and landscaped public spaces came later in the form of public gardens in the tradition of the great French and English gardens. Piazzas are just empty city blocks. They don't have trees and lawns nor usually benches. There's no shade so sitting for long isn't very comfortable. You do find monuments and statues of national heroes, or a fountain; Piazza Navona in Rome is probably the more well known one. In general the piazza is used as a meeting place. A place you go take a walk in the hope you'll run into an acquaintance, (before text messaging that is.) Piazzas are generally in front of large cathedrals or mayoralties. They are more like open air market places although in larger cities markets had their own open spaces close to ports or areas more easily accessible from the countryside. Piazzas tend to be in the center of towns. In smaller towns the piazza could double as market but in general the piazza is the city's civic heart. Anything you wanted to make public, say announce a new law or decree, an execution, you'd do in the piazza. I suppose the equivalent in America are the town squares you'd find in the old northeastern towns. But then again these towns retained much of the European traditions of the early american colonizers. (17th-18th century English architecture is heavily influenced by Italian Renasaince, or Italian Mannerism as it was called.) Not to be nostalgic but we don't see town squares in post colonial towns and cities. And we probably never will again since the internet seems to have absorbed their functions. There are many schools of thoughts on the disappearance or nonappearance of the piazza or town square. Some posit that they are places where the public, the people can organize to promote social unrest. Tea party anyone? Others have argued that since the invention of the printing press and the advent of mass communication it afforded, piazzas and town squares became obsolete as places for official mass announcements.

Not precisely sure what you are asking. But 1st Amendment absolutism, which is concerned that all speech restrictions in a public forum be content-neutral, is a big point for many libertarians. A certain amount of libertarian work explores the way informal systems evolve to regulate common resources. Libertarian legal theory tends to focus on minimizing arbitrary, partial, or differentially-applied rules; on promoting stewardship through ownership; on preventing waste by ensuring efficient alienability; and on recognizing the interconnected nature of competing land uses.

I mean the question in the sense you mention when you write "promoting stewardship towards ownership". It seems that for a libertarian, private ownership of everything is an ideal goal. I suppose that I find that notion absurd, or at the very least, to be the codification of a simplistic and infantile egotism as a social system. While it may be true that every man is an island, we can't all live in islands. Public stewardship of some social resources such as education and judicial services tend to promote if not guarantee a necessary and essential continuity against the fickle nature of commercial markets.

Which brings me to the original paradox of public space, in that at least by pedigree it's an inherently adult space that needs to be infantilized to protect minors and prudish sensibilities in a way that doesn't infringe on rights of free expression and rights to associate. Yes there's plenty of 'adult' content being expressed in public albeit implicitly. Even in NYC where I live, there's no porn on the streets. And I couldn't post a large billboard with a provocative a quote from "Catcher in the Rye' which my son read in 6th grade, in Public school. Even a pregnant abdomen is considered inappropriate by many. I'm not trying to make an argument for porn on the streets, I consider it the professional wrestling of sexual relations. But I'm just trying to point out what i perceive to be a slow but ever increasing tendency for privatizing shared social resources in order to avoid having to deal politically with these contradictions. I don't think there's a conspiracy behind this, I do think it's a kind of natural evolution of a society that avoids dealing with difficult issues by pretending they don't exist or worst, by convincing itself they shouldn't exist.

Since we can't really privatize the streets, that's where you'll find most examples of private behavior in public space. The path of least resistance for indecent exposure seems to be down seventh avenue on gay pride, or Daytona beach during spring break, or bourbon street during Mardi Gras. I don't know of many other examples but I will guess many college towns have a similar tolerance for such behavior. I only bring up these issues because it seems to be the only form of expression that isn't protected under the first amendment. At least the ACLU hasn't brought about any lawsuits about it yet. And because societies that tolerate so called 'adult' forms of expression tend to also be the freer ones.

Public space is, in this sense, politically dangerous, and hard to control. Better not have it then?

You seem to know quite a bit about libertarian theory, I just know what I've heard Ron Paul argue in sound bites and reading through the Libertarian party website, so another question for you:

Is there, or has there ever been any purely libertarian societies in the world?

or in other words has it been tried out successfully anywhere?

Would you consider early american society before emancipation to be purely libertarian?

What's 'efficient alienability'? I couldn't find a definition online except for a mention in a summary of property law from a course at NWU...

dameni
05-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Well, I hope it's more like a conversation, but I'll wear head gear just in case.

osmium
05-15-2010, 09:44 AM

People called Romanes they go to the house?? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVy4BrxpKGQ#t=33s)

dameni
05-15-2010, 03:06 PM
That's hilarious!

This page is a great resource for Fun Latin:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/omnibus.html

My favorite is:

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.

Crustum Etruscum = pizza!

And the names of the seven dwarfs:

Severus = Grumpy

jimM47
05-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Sure, a baseball diamond in a public park excludes one pair teams from playing while another one is, but that's just like saying I cant stand exactly where you are standing until you move a bit or sit on an occupied shady bench in a park until someone stands up. no laws are needed, just common courtesy.

Well, what you call common courtesy, I call a custom or a societal practice. It's not a formal law, but it is a rule of some sort. And even this soft rule defines a boundary. Even if there were no laws against public nudity, there would still be some opinion about when nudity violated common courtesy. This is all as a way of trying to respond to your point about Alphonso Lingis, private parts, capitalism, and boundaries/exclusion. In a capitalist society property is a useful and ready analogy to the boundaries we inevitably put up regarding what is allowable in public space, but it is not capitalism that precipitates the formation of boundaries.

I mean the question in the sense you mention when you write "promoting stewardship towards [sic] ownership". ... Public stewardship of some social resources such as education and judicial services tend to promote if not guarantee a necessary and essential continuity against the fickle nature of commercial markets.

To clarify. When I say "promoting stewardship through ownership" I am referring only to property, not services. Things, places, and ideas all have value, and we want to keep that value from going to waste by making sure whoever controls it has an incentive to take care of it, and an incentive to put it into the hands of someone else if that someone else will get more value from it. How and who should provide public services is a different, even if related, question.

It seems that for a libertarian, private ownership of everything is an ideal goal. ... What's 'efficient alienability'?

Private ownership is certainly the default solution, but it isn't necessarily the best solution, or even alway a practical possibility. When you have a common resource, sometimes the best solution is to divide it up into many chunks and only let people use their own chunks. Sometimes it is best to give the resource to a single steward and let that person set the rules for all others who want to use the resource. Sometimes you want to make the resource public and let rules for its use emerge informally. Sometimes you want to make the resource public and set formal rules. Sometimes you make the resource private, but then also set formal rules.

Libertarians generally stress the problems with formal rule-making and the difficulties in figuring out what rules will result in the best value. So they favor institutions that will let decentralized processes figure these things out.

Alienability means the readiness with which property can transfer from one hand to another. So if property rights over a resource are set up right, the rights and/or responsibilities for it will be able to easily (efficiently) move from the hands of those making the resource less valuable to those who will make it more valuable, where value is a subjective concept.

[H]as there ever been any purely libertarian societies in the world?

Has there ever been a purely liberal society in the world? a purely conservative society? I don't think of libertarianism as a set package of policies, but as a movement of political philosophies like any other.

America has been libertarian in various degrees and in various way throughout its history, but never in all respects at once, and never in all places, or at all levels of government. Notably, slavery, the very antithesis of liberty, was law of the land until 1865, but even in free states, married women had no property rights until the 1840s or 1850s. Freedom of speech wasn't made national until 1868, and the courts didn't enforce it until the 1920s.

If you are looking for a test case for libertarian economic theories like the Soviet Union was for communist economic theories, Hong Kong is probably the closest you can get.

But to return to the task at hand. Am I understanding you right that what you want to talk about is the public sphere, in the sense that having a public sphere necessitates thinking about problems of what gets to be allowed in the public sphere? It seems like you are toying with the concept that we as a society are more comfortable getting rid of the public sphere where we can than having to face thinking about what gets to be allowed, which is an interesting concept.

I can't say that I have any special competence with those exact issues, and so if you are looking to talk to anyone with some specific expertise or some specific counter-opinion, you might want to hold out for someone else. But if not, I'd be happy to play the part of interviewer. Send me a private message if you want, and we'll work out the details there.

SkepticDoc
05-16-2010, 06:07 AM
If you do it, please provide plenty of photo links to prove your point!

pampl
06-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd like to give this a try. I don't normally talk politics with people I've just met so I might not be very impressive, though... I'm most interested in general philosophy stuff, ethics, epistemology, and international relations. I'm pretty disagreeable so I'm up for playing devil's advocate for any unpopular positions except defending Bill Kristol *shudder*

Don Zeko
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I think the onus is on you to come up with a fairly specific topic you're interested in doing a DV on. What do you want to talk about?

AemJeff
06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
I think the onus is on you to come up with a fairly specific topic you're interested in doing a DV on. What do you want to talk about?

Agreed.

AemJeff
06-20-2010, 04:50 PM
So have people stopped answering requests, or has BhTV lost interest in posting these?

Don Zeko
06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
How many requests have been made lately? I'd be up for a DV, but haven't had any particular topics in mind lately, nor have I seen a request for a topic that I felt at all informed about.

AemJeff
06-20-2010, 10:53 PM
How many requests have been made lately? I'd be up for a DV, but haven't had any particular topics in mind lately, nor have I seen a request for a topic that I felt at all informed about.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, too. I was taking notice that there hasn't been a new one for some time now, and I remember pampl's request, a little while ago. (Have you picked a topic, pampl?)

pampl
06-21-2010, 01:11 AM
I was holding out waiting for current events to deliver something good but the news has mostly been about the oil spill and I don't know enough about it to make a diavlogue worthwhile. I'm going to go camping soon and will have time to think of a good topic, so I'll have something around next Monday.

eeeeeeeli
06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I know that's a mouthful, and I'd need to lay out some discussion talking points. But the general concept is: starting with what goes into social equality, whether we can really do something about it through education, and then what specifically can be done via policy.

I'm willing to set up a framework, put together a possible reading list/notes, and would love to have someone who'd be interested in discussing/debating the issues. My background is in social sciences/social work and low-income education/teaching.

You can check out my blog at http://supervidoqo.blogspot.com/. The thought of doing a diavlog and being on the spot like that makes me nervous, but it's probably pretty fun. :)

Don Zeko
06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd like to do a DV with you, but I think we'll need to massage the topic quite a bit in order to discuss things that I have the policy chops to talk about. unfortunately, education is not my wheelhouse at all. Plus, I just read this post (http://supervidoqo.blogspot.com/2010/06/blogging-and-authority.html) on your blog:

For instance I read Yglesias daily and while I appreciate much of his work, I find his ideas on education to be incredibly hackish. And I doubt mean to say I merely disagree, it's that he consistently misses crucial pieces of the debate that those of us who actually teach, or are in other ways quite involved with the surrounding issues, are much more aware of.

And I fear that I would wind up in the "incredibly hackish" camp if we wound up at all in the weeds of education policy.

jimM47
06-25-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm willing to set up a framework, put together a possible reading list/notes, and would love to have someone who'd be interested in discussing/debating the issues. My background is in social sciences/social work and low-income education/teaching.

You've got the right idea on how to proceed next. If you put together a list of topics/theories/propositions and short reading list, I personally guarantee that someone will be willing to converse with you.

eeeeeeeli
06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
lol. Well, I assure you that it was a pretty personal criticism of Yglesias. I really enjoy his writing, but am endlessly frustrated with the degree to which he backs certain positions (on education) while - in my humble opinion - ignoring their criticisms. It's kind of a bugaboo for many of us who (lovingly) comment on his site.

But yeah - I'm wondering how a stimulating discussion might go. As a teacher who is pretty familiar with education debate, I have strong opinions on a lot of issues. And I think the least interesting diavlogs are devoid of disagreement. But at the same time, there are a lot of interesting unknowns that can be chewed over, in the event that I can't find any "opposition".

Also, I'm less interested in particular education policy that the underlying issues around what education even means in society - in terms of social justice, citizenship, etc. But it sounds like it would be worth putting something together. I'll see what I can come up with and post it. Cheers.

PreppyMcPrepperson
06-29-2010, 12:49 AM
I think there's some internal discussion at BHTV about where to go with this. And, it's good to be back posting here. I sort of fell out of all my various forums and boards in the last months of my trip, as I got deep into the weeds of the reporting, but I'm back now!

bjkeefe
06-29-2010, 07:18 AM
I think there's some internal discussion at BHTV about where to go with this. And, it's good to be back posting here. I sort of fell out of all my various forums and boards in the last months of my trip, as I got deep into the weeds of the reporting, but I'm back now!

Good to see you back.

Starwatcher162536
06-30-2010, 05:08 AM
I feel a little awkward making this proposal, but since Bloggingheads has neglected to fulfill my request for a diavlog on this topic, I figure I could give a shot at filling this niche.

I'm mainly informed about oil/coal, but can tangent off to other less popularized resources like Cadmium/Helium or a few others. I'd also like to make a brief foray into what resource "x/y/z" is used for, and potential substitutes, in order to give some context on the importance of a possible shortage in "x/y/z". Because of my want to give a little background, and time constraints, we would probably need to settle on one or two resources.

I suppose I am moderate enough to take either position, but would be a little more comfortable on the peak/shortage side, so if there is an extraction guy out there that wants to show me why everything I know is wrong, you would be an ideal partner.

jimM47
06-30-2010, 03:33 PM
I am wondering if anyone else out there was had any (it need not be a lot) interesting experiences with party caucuses/conventions and/or grassroots politics. I am interested in having a conversation centered around populism and the modern right. My interlocutor need not be on the right, but I would prefer someone who can bring some personal experiences to bear on the subject.

The impetus for this diavlog idea is partly some of the comments Dave Weigel made on JournoList. What some have characterized as anti-right statements that show he's a flaming liberal, I find resonate with the ambivalence I feel as a committed member of the right about the direction that the right is heading.

Topics I am think about discussing: how insiders and elites in a movement respond to populism, limits of direct democracy mechanisms, and what to do when a mass movement threatens to reintroduce discredited ideology to a movement. The topic list could be altered to reflect your own experiences.

AemJeff
06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I am wondering if anyone else out there was had any (it need not be a lot) interesting experiences with party caucuses/conventions and/or grassroots politics. I am interested in having a conversation centered around populism and the modern right. My interlocutor need not be on the right, but I would prefer someone who can bring some personal experiences to bear on the subject.

The impetus for this diavlog idea is partly some of the comments Dave Weigel made on JournoList. What some have characterized as anti-right statements that show he's a flaming liberal, I find resonate with the ambivalence I feel as a committed member of the right about the direction that the right is heading.

Topics I am think about discussing: how insiders and elites in a movement respond to populism, limits of direct democracy mechanisms, and what to do when a mass movement threatens to reintroduce discredited ideology to a movement. The topic list could be altered to reflect your own experiences.

I wish I thought I had the kind of experience you're asking for. In any event, I hope you find somebody that does; and I'll be interested in the conversation.

Don Zeko
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Pivoting off of some comments in the big forum, I was wondering if anybody that's not an Obama supporter because of disagreements with him from the left wants to talk about his record on civil liberties, war powers, etc.

PreppyMcPrepperson
07-01-2010, 03:23 AM
I wish I thought I had the kind of experience you're asking for. In any event, I hope you find somebody that does; and I'll be interested in the conversation.

as will i.

[added] Jim, and his partner, and anyone else interested in these issues, may wish to read this piece (http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/may/27/tea-party-jacobins/?pagination=false). Tony Judt's new book, Ill Fares the Land, raises some similar questions relating to the left.

PreppyMcPrepperson
07-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Pivoting off of some comments in the big forum, I was wondering if anybody that's not an Obama supporter because of disagreements with him from the left wants to talk about his record on civil liberties, war powers, etc.

Hmm, I am on the left, and disagree with Obama on a lot of things, but I don't think I'm strictly speaking 'to' his left or 'to' his right, so much as I just have a different set of starting political principles altogether. So but I don't think I'm your chosen partner. But I'd be totally interested in hearing this chat.

Don Zeko
07-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Ok, let me try to flesh out my thoughts on this topic a bit to see if I can catch anybody's interest. Obama's, or his administration at least, has been getting a lot of flack from the left. The most strident examples of this are probably coming from Jane Hamsher and the Firedoglake crowd and Glenn Greenwald. Chief points of criticism include failing to get the public option in HCR, not taking more drastic action with the financial sector, not nominating more liberal Supreme Court justices, escalating the war in Afghanistan, moving slowly on DADT, not prosecuting Bush-era lawbreaking (i.e. torture), making claims of executive legal power as sweeping as Bush if not more so, etc. etc. etc. Some of Obama's most strident critics have suggested that his presidency is so compromised that liberals/progressives should oppose his agenda outright, i.e. Jane Hamsher, Russ Feingold on Financial Reform.

I think that when it comes to domestic policy, almost all of these criticism are simply incorrect. For the most part, Obama hasn't pursued a more aggressively Liberal domestic policy because it is not possible to do so, and even with severe constraints imposed by the Senate, he has made huge accomplishments that Liberals ought to be very happy about.

On the rest of the list, however, I think that the situation is much worse. Particularly when it comes to executive power, torture, and the various other legal issues wrapped up in the GWOT, Obama hasn't just failed to do good, he's done wrong. So I figure there are two things to talk about. The first is whether or not progressives are right to be harshy critical of Obama on issue x, y, and z. I've spelled out my take on that above. The second is what we ought to do about it. Should Liberals continue to vote/volunteer/whatever for Obama? If not, who should we vote for/support?

Because 3rd parties are basically an electoral dead end and the Republican Party is promising to be far worse on all of these questions, i think we have no choice but to stick with Obama and the Democrats. If anyone has issues with this analysis that could be discussed for 20-60 minutes, let me know.

TwinSwords
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM

That would be great. Hope you find someone.

AemJeff
07-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Wonderment won't love me for nominating him - but I hope he'll consider doing this.

Starwatcher162536
07-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Well, I hate you all to, so myeh!

look
07-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, I hate you all to, so myeh!lol

Don Zeko
07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Looks like the only resources being depleted here are willing Apollo DV participants.

Florian
07-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Well, I hate you all to, so myeh!

I think peak oil would be an excellent topic, and I would love to hear a debate on the subject, especially by a scientific type (no journalists!). Too bad (or too good?) there are no competent defenders of the counter thesis. Perhaps Unit would oblige.

PreppyMcPrepperson
07-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I think peak oil would be an excellent topic, and I would love to hear a debate on the subject, especially by a scientific type (no journalists!). Too bad (or too good?) there are no competent defenders of the counter thesis. Perhaps Unit would oblige.

I'd love to hear this one.

Starwatcher162536
07-23-2010, 08:37 PM
If you want to make a fool of yourself with me I'm game, and like I said, I don't mind being the infinite toys guy, I'm used to embarrassing myself.

Florian
07-30-2010, 02:40 PM
If you want to make a fool of yourself with me I'm game, and like I said, I don't mind being the infinite toys guy, I'm used to embarrassing myself.

I missed this when you posted it. Unfortunately, I know nothing about peak oil except what I've read in certain investment newsletters. Is oil running out? If only it were, I might be rich. The predictions of imminent penury have made little difference to my portfolio since the runup in oil prices a few years ago.

eeeeeeeli
08-19-2010, 11:06 PM
"Education Reform", Obama's relationship with teachers, LA Times piece...

OK, the recent LA Times piece on teacher performance (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-teachers-value-20100815,0,258862,full.story) in LA schools kind of kicked me in the butt on giving this a proper go....

The story touches on a whole lot of issues. I think a basic list of discussion points might go:

- What does education reform look like today, what should it look like?
- How has Obama done so far on education, what are the issues involved?
- The LA Times piece itself - what did it get right, wrong?
- Maybe a larger discussion on the future of education, or what we'd like to see happen?

I can put together a short reading list on these topics, and am opening to other ideas, suggestions, etc. if anyone's ready to jump in.

my blog: super vidoqo (http://supervidoqo.blogspot.com/)

ledocs
08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
I might be interested in doing a diavlog with you about education, eeeli, but apart from the time involved in doing background reading, I'm concerned about the technical difficulties involved on my end. I live in rural France. I have an acceptable ADSL connection, but it's not great, videos often have to rebuffer, and I have never used a webcam. I could probably go to some neighbors, though, who have a much better connection, so long as the whole thing does not become a great time drain for them. The other thing is, I have an Internet phone at home that works pretty well and is "free" to the US, so I would want to use that, if possible, rather than the fixed land line, for the transmission. The other possibility is that we try do this while I am in the US, between Sept. 14 and Oct. 13, roughly. I get the impression that it will take longer than that to organize, though. I have no idea what is involved on the technical side, but there are often snags, I know that. Also, I don't want to use that masking technology. If they insist on that, I'm out. I find that completely absurd. I'm not in a witness protection program.

I have been pushing to get Diane Ravitch on bhtv. One would certainly have to read her new book.

eeeeeeeli
09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
OK, cool. I just sent them an email asking about what technical issues might be involved. I'm open to anything. I think waiting until you're in the US might be a good idea anyway - school just started and so I've been a bit slammed (I teach science at a continuation high school).

But yeah - the NY Times just did a piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/education/01teacher.html?_r=1&hp) referencing the LA Times story, and the value-added thing has been making news elsewhere. Here's my email (eli.rector@yahoo.com) if you want to discuss links, etc. in more detail, and I'll try to put together some readings I think would be of interest. I haven't read her book either but I need to. I actually sent her and Deborah Meier a piece I wrote for my blog and they responded positively. Thrill! :)

Anyway - the idea of doing a diavlog makes me kind of nervous, but I think we could have fun with it.

Whatfur
09-01-2010, 03:23 PM
A few tidbits. (http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2010/08/31/the-la-times-invents-the-teacher-box-score/)

handle
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
A few tidbits. (http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2010/08/31/the-la-times-invents-the-teacher-box-score/)

Talk about your two cents... worth every penny.

eeeeeeeli
09-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure what points he was actually making.
- he didn't see any reason not to publish teachers' names
- he thought they were acting legally
- he thought no one would have cared if the results had all been good
- he quotes an unnamed source saying that the times had only done it for publicity, which he finds perfectly reasonable, apparently unconcerned about journalistic standards
- he finds the idea that teachers don't get enough respect silly

He then links to a story on an apparently excellent teacher that literally just makes things up:
"But what does the other end of the quality distribution look like? What kind of teaching is as good as mimeographed worksheets are bad? We donít really know."

What world does this guy live in? Professional development is always about new teaching strategies and improved performance. Sure, it often sucks. But its often good. There is never enough emphasis on collaboration and watching other teachers teach. But this has nothing to do with unions, and everything to do with the priorities of the administration. Will they pay for a sub? Will they structure professional development around it?

I looked him up (http://education.nationaljournal.com/contributors/Carey.php) and it looks like he's had no actual experience in the classroom, where he would have experienced the teaching profession from the inside.

"Yet the union that purports to represent Tan [the great teacher] has done nothing but oppose the creation of the only measures that accurately identify her value as a professional. In doing so, it helps depress the public understanding of all teachers as professionals."
And what measures are those? Testing? That's the only way to value teachers as professionals? This guy is ridiculous.

Wonderment
09-02-2010, 04:45 AM
I hope you get to do the dialogue. I had very mixed feelings about the Times article. I wonder if they will now publish police and firefighters performance rankings, doctors, nurses and journalists. Maybe journalists' IQ scores. You know, so the public can be better informed.

Whatfur
09-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I actually posted the editorial for the links it afforded while thinking you may actually be interested in them, but since you are more concerned about the authors points I will address those you seem to be confused by.

So using his numbers:

1. Doesn't agree with "wholesale" naming of teachers but agrees with lauding those who prove exceptional and exposing those who are not. You twist this into him saying that he doesn't see any reason for not publishing teacher's names when in fact that obviously was not his point at all.

2. His point here is obviously not whether the action is legal or not, but one of shedding light on the attempt by the union to censor public information.

3. Here where you make a statement out of his question, the more obvious point is his being incredulous about the unions hyperbole ("public shaming" of all "6000 teachers"). I would speculate that some teachers are quite happy with the results.

4. I agree this point is odd and seemed an attempt to allow him to quote himself. However, your take on it once again twists what he said to something even more "silly".

You start your post saying "I'm not sure what points he was actually making" and I have to agree wholeheartedly with you. You certainly weren't sure, but that did not stop you from speculating. However, your comprehension of his points was ridiculously errant.

Other than that you just go on to shoot the messenger and then you go on to shoot the messenger in one of the links. In any case, I too will be looking forward to your vlog and hope YOU provide suggestions on good ways to measure teacher performance.

Whatfur
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
More admin biase. How do you decide what just gets removed and what get puts in the glory room? Lets have some consistancy.

handle
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I hope the diavlog still might happen. I promise to watch.

Don Zeko
10-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Let me ask this one more time, as I'm still interested. I'd like to have a chat with someone about Obama's relationship with Liberals, i.e. where we should be disappointed, where we shouldn't, and what this should mean for the future behavior of our faction in the Democratic party. Is there anybody to my left on these things interested in such a DV?

look
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Let me ask this one more time, as I'm still interested. I'd like to have a chat with someone about Obama's relationship with Liberals, i.e. where we should be disappointed, where we shouldn't, and what this should mean for the future behavior of our faction in the Democratic party. Is there anybody to my left on these things interested in such a DV?Paging Wonderment, you have a call on the white courtesy phone.

look
10-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Want to do a diavlog, but don't have a partner in mind? You've come to the right thread. State your conversational interests and, if relevant, your ideological leanings. Then look around the thread and see if anyone else seems like a good match for you. (You can also email us at apollo@bloggingheads.tv if you want us to more discreetly pair you with a diavlog partner.)Brenda, in order to vlog with a Head, must one have already vlogged with a commenter?

eeeeeeeli
10-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Hah! Yes... we're headed in that direction!

jummy
03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
i was actually chapter leader of a nationwide neoconservative activist group with an unfortunate name and an unintentionally homoerotic logo for a few years.

i have some thoughts about the activist infrastructure of the conservative movement and the new populism of the right, if you're interested.

lemme know. i have no idea how this apollo project thingy works. i assume a mod has to approve the topic and set the thing up.

i'll copy to your user page.

graz
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
i have no idea how this apollo project thingy works.

Like Bob said, it like Showtime (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/35084?in=26:36.5&out=26:37.5) at the Apollo Theatre. You've already auditioned with the jokes: i was actually chapter leader of a nationwide neoconservative activist group with an unfortunate name and an unintentionally homoerotic logo for a few years.

You're halfway there!

jummy
03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
i wish i was joking.

i don't regret any of what the group did or represented necessarily, but i did learn from it that the vast right wing conspiracy is somewhat less than what progressives imagine it to be, and the shortcomings made for some real facepalm moments.

eeeeeeeli
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a good topic for discussion. I look forward to it!

jummy
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
how does it work? i don't see a "start diavlog" button on here.

Simon Willard
04-02-2011, 06:39 PM

I suggest you find a way to get jimM47's attention, come to a mutual agreement that you are ready, and then e-mail apollo@bloggingheads.tv with your proposal. I'm sure they will be receptive to setting something up.

badhatharry
04-03-2011, 10:31 PM

You can send him a message on his profile page (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/member.php?u=1104).

jummy
04-06-2011, 02:21 PM
we're in contact.

hamandcheese
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
If anyone would like to record on the topic of Canada's new majority government, send me an email samuelphammond@gmail.com

Nothing too narrow. Just the election itself and the future of Canada with Harper in power. Or who exactly Harper is.

Starwatcher162536
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
An Apollo diavlog giving a brief desciption of different types of computer models, their common weaknesses and shortcomings, the various flavors of verification and validation that exist in different fields, Epistemology of analog experiments and simulations, etc. etc. would be intersting.

I have some proffesional expierence and a little formal training along with some general audience reading, but if I have to be the "expert" in the pairing it's going to be amateurish. I think I know enough to make a decently informed interviewer though if someone else out there would like to pair with me.

...and yes, GCM's can be on the table, but not the whole diavlog please. I'm more interested in the general subject (of simulations).

TwinSwords
06-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Let me ask this one more time, as I'm still interested. I'd like to have a chat with someone about Obama's relationship with Liberals, i.e. where we should be disappointed, where we shouldn't, and what this should mean for the future behavior of our faction in the Democratic party. Is there anybody to my left on these things interested in such a DV?

How about doing it with Wonderment? Or Jeff? Maybe Eli would do it. We know they're not camera shy, and have well considered opinions.

How about with Stephanie? Or Ocean? They haven't done Apollo yet, but they'd be great.

Shit, maybe you could record a monovlog if they won't do it. I hope you find someone. Your conversation with Conn was superior to most of the "real" diavlogs.

I wonder if you could get a real 'head to do a matchup with you -- like another with Conn. Or maybe Bill Scher. Timothy Noah? Oh, I know: Michelle Goldberg. ;-)

look
06-24-2011, 01:57 AM
How about doing it with Wonderment? Or Jeff? Maybe Eli would do it. We know they're not camera shy, and have well considered opinions.

How about with Stephanie? Or Ocean? They haven't done Apollo yet, but they'd be great.

Shit, maybe you could record a monovlog if they won't do it. I hope you find someone. Your conversation with Conn was superior to most of the "real" diavlogs.

I wonder if you could get a real 'head to do a matchup with you -- like another with Conn. Or maybe Bill Scher. Timothy Noah? Oh, I know: Michelle Goldberg. ;-)Jane Hamsher.

Don Zeko
06-24-2011, 11:40 AM

I've already asked one of those people, although I'd be happy to record a DV with any of them. Are you guys reading this?

I wonder if you could get a real 'head to do a matchup with you -- like another with Conn. Or maybe Bill Scher. Timothy Noah? Oh, I know: Michelle Goldberg. ;-)

Badhat would shit a brick, wouldn't she?

look
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Badhat would shit a brick, wouldn't she?http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/299?in=08:40&out=00:08:56

stephanie
06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I've already asked one of those people, although I'd be happy to record a DV with any of them. Are you guys reading this?

I think you and I would be a bad matchup on this topic, as we basically agree.

I hope you find someone.

If you get Michelle Goldberg some people might be jealous. A matchup with a 'head would be cool, though.

Ocean
06-24-2011, 09:27 PM

I think Wonderment would pretty much be in the appropriate role to discuss this with you. I must remind you, though, that he can be terribly aggressive, even violent when debating. ;)

AemJeff
06-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I think Wonderment would pretty much be in the appropriate role to discuss this with you. I must remind you, though, that he can be terribly aggressive, even violent when debating. ;)

Shh... Don't make him mad!

jimM47
06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Sorry, about the delay here, I have been busy as of late, and when I try to remember what was in my mind and I wanted to say a year ago. I'll try to see if I can find what I was reading and what I was thinking when I suggested it.

BUT, right now, I have been trying to follow the appeals of Salim Hamdan and Ali Hamza al Bahlul at the Court of Military Commission Review. A decision in one just came down, and the other is coming soon. Does anyone want to attempt a diavlog on the Guantanamo Detainees sometime in the next two or three weeks? My interlocutor wouldn't necessarily have to have legal knowledge, but would need to be good at asking questions. Let me know soonish, possible by PM.

Starwatcher162536
08-10-2011, 03:24 AM
First of all, is BH even open to doing these anymore? If so, does anyone want to talk about specified deregulation? When it's mentioned at all in the popular media it seems to be lauded like some unmitigated success, much like airflight deregulations (or at least how they too are portrayed). Well I disagree with the popular wisdom and think it had it's positives and negatives that vary from part of the country to part of the country but on balance is negative. Anyone interested in talking about it? PM or respond to me here and we can discuss specifics.