PDA

View Full Version : What is your religious/spiritual/atheistic background?

JonIrenicus
09-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Just curious to get a bit more detail about the currently held belief systems of some of the common posters.

religious at all?

believe in god?

"spiritual?"

(hippies)

atheist?

if the latter are you hostile to religious beliefs? indifferent?

I really am curious about this. If you wish I will go first.

Raised christian and believed as a child, but my belief slowly waned as I grew older. By middle school I was flat out agnostic, and by high school I admitted to being an atheist.

I never have and hopefully never will be hostile towards people who have religious beliefs, so long as those beliefs coincide with a certain threshold of decency. To the extent that beliefs act as a framework to allow malevolent behavior, I am hostile.

Put another way, I'd have infinitely more respect for a decent religious man than a malevolent atheist. And near equal respect if they were both decent human beings.

Lyle
09-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Raised Catholic. Was an alter boy. Had a lot of Protestant friends growing up, however, mainly Methodists and Baptists. Hung out at their churches via their youth groups from time to time. Went on a missionary trip in high school to a Navajo reservation to do manual labor, like roofing and the like. Attended mass regularly through freshman year of college. Stopped attending mass some time during my sophomore year of college and have been an agnostic since then. My questioning of faith in God began in high school or maybe even Middle School, but didn't manifest itself completely until a point in college where I couldn't honestly say that Jesus Christ was the son of God.

I'm not anti-religious at all. I'm not spiteful of Catholicism. I harbor no animosity towards the church or any other faiths. Particular practitioners who are malevolent I do not like. Malevolent non-believers I don't care for either.

I'm the only one in my immediate family who isn't a practicing Catholic.

SkepticDoc
09-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I was raised Catholic, did not feel anything transcendental after I matured, just drifted away.

Looked into spiritualism, never felt any evidence of "spirits".

As a young adult, came across American Humanists and Bahais, even officially enrolled in the Bahai Faith roster when I lived in Pgh. PA.

In the last 5-6 years came across the Skeptics Society, JREF and CFI, the Internet has exposed me even more to other belief systems, stumbled on the Joseph Campbell Foundation and Buddhist beliefs.

Currently finding solace in the consideration that there may be something else besides the physical world as the reason why there is "anything at all" instead of nothing with consciousness.

Trying to follow the "Golden Rule", even if I am not aware after death, good deeds can improve the world left behind for other sentient beings...

Unit
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Was raised without religion so I have a hard time understanding the issue. Talking to me about religion is a bit like talking to a cat or a dog about it. I might nod and look like I'm smiling but who knows what thought process is going on in my head.

Whatfur
09-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Dyslexic, Agnostic, Insomniac.

Lie awake at night wondering whether there really is a doG.

Actually raised Catholic...pretty much agnostic. Can appreciate both people of faith and atheists. Hold neither in higher or lower esteem until they hold others as such. Thus don't like arrogance or the evangelical part in either.

The religious are sometimes facinating. Atheists seldom are.