PDA

View Full Version : BHTV's rotten, no good, very bad week

nikkibong
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
For the first time since I started watching bhtv a couple of years ago, I watched no diavlogs this week. (Except for various times when i've been on vacation, of course - for example, when I was in Vietnam last year, er, the internet was at roughly, say, 5 or 6 k speeds. Not swift enough for bhtv)! Granted, this hasn't prevented me from bloviating on the message board on some of the DVs this week, but this was an absolutely appalling lineup:

-Worldwise (by far the worst of the weekly BHTV series, boring/amoral IR speak, "strategery, interests" etc.)
-Bazelon/Farai (A 15 minute diavlog?? And what special insight does, say, Emily Bazleon, have on the subject? There's also a Slate overload on bhtv.)
-Ackerman/Lake (Another Iraq War mea culpa? Amazing how it is now the sensible and respectable position to have supported the war, and then turned on it. See: Sullivan, Andrew. Where are the people who opposed the war from the start? Why are they not "experts"?)
-PinkerCorn (Love David Corn . . . but Pinkerton . . . er, no.)
-The Week In Blog: Uninvited Edition. (Any diavlog featuring Matt Lewis is "uninvited," in my book.)
-"Science" Saturday, whose nuttery has been well documented in the comments section.
-UN Plaza (My own moral failing, but I rarely watch these.)
-Percontations (That beard is terrifying.)

And worst of all: no Bob!

I hope this is because of the time of year but . . .yikes, this was by far the worst week of material I have ever seen on bhtv. Pick it up, guys!

claymisher
07-27-2009, 12:29 AM
For the first time since I started watching bhtv a couple of years ago, I watched no diavlogs this week. (Except for various times when i've been on vacation, of course - for example, when I was in Vietnam last year, er, the internet was at roughly, say, 5 or 6 k speeds. Not swift enough for bhtv)! Granted, this hasn't prevented me from bloviating on the message board on some of the DVs this week, but this was an absolutely appalling lineup:

-Worldwise (by far the worst of the weekly BHTV series, boring/amoral IR speak, "strategery, interests" etc.)
-Bazelon/Farai (A 15 minute diavlog?? And what special insight does, say, Emily Bazleon, have on the subject? There's also a Slate overload on bhtv.)
-Ackerman/Lake (Another Iraq War mea culpa? Amazing how it is now the sensible and respectable position to have supported the war, and then turned on it. See: Sullivan, Andrew. Where are the people who opposed the war from the start? Why are they not "experts"?)
-The Week In Blog: Uninvited Edition. (Any diavlog featuring Matt Lewis is "uninvited," in my book.)
-"Science" Saturday, whose nuttery has been well documented in the comments section.

I hope this is because of the time of year but . . .yikes, this was by far the worst week of material I have ever seen on bhtv. Pick it up, guys!

Well, Attackerman turned on the Iraq adventure about a week before it started, so he gets a pass. And we had two with Heather Hurlburt last week, so it averages out.

I'm SO awesome!
07-27-2009, 12:33 AM
I agree. Corn is good but otherwise this week stunk and with all the god talk in the last few months I really fear for the direction of the site. Oh well, it was a good run, bob!

uncle ebeneezer
07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah, not the best week. But on the upside if my tele-kinetic spoon-bending continues to improve, I should be able to get booked on Sci Sat in the near future!

Hey Nikki, have you seen the Onion this week. They sold out to a Chinese parent company and there were some significant changes. Not sure if you'll be able to view it over there, but I thought you of all people would appreciate it.

claymisher
07-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Yeah, not the best week. But on the upside if my tele-kinetic spoon-bending continues to improve, I should be able to get booked on Sci Sat in the near future!

lolz

Starwatcher162536
07-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Well, we commenters are a small sliver of the audience (I would hope!),perhaps all this philosophy/god stuff is what draws the crowds.

Most of the people I know are either atheistic or apathetic towards religion, so it is hard for me to imagine this is the case, but perhaps my little world is atypical, so I should not try and extrapolate from it.

Hard to say without any sort of information about how many hits each video was able to generate.

Baltimoron
07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
It's all relative. But, the banner ads should at least be directed at companies related to bhTV, issues, or Bob (let's just bow down to the founder!). I argued for more transparency and objectivity in how 'heads are selected and evaluated, and commenters blasted me for the suggestion. So, by all means, just keep complaining to inflate your comment count.

nikkibong
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
It's all relative. But, the banner ads should at least be directed at companies related to bhTV, issues, or Bob (let's just bow down to the founder!). I argued for more transparency and objectivity in how 'heads are selected and evaluated, and commenters blasted me for the suggestion. So, by all means, just keep complaining to inflate your comment count.

Why are you such a humorless SOB?

Baltimoron
07-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Why are you such a humorless SOB?

Because of commenters like you that believe bitching IS entertaining and useful, when every next spasm proves it wasn't useful and you're still doing no better than making an argument in a misleading way. If you disagreed with someone or some argument in the diavlogs, make your objections in the threads devoted to them. If you really want to improve the product, then stop believing your subjective rants do any good!

nikkibong
07-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Because of commenters like you that believe bitching IS entertaining and useful, when every next spasm proves it wasn't useful and you're still doing no better than making an argument in a misleading way. If you disagreed with someone or some argument in the diavlogs, make your objections in the threads devoted to them. If you really want to improve the product, then stop believing your subjective rants do any good!

Actually, I'm already seeing improvement (from my POV, at least): we've already had Mark Kleiman and Josh Cohen this week, two 'heads I can't get enough of. And what arguments am I making that are supposedly 'misleading'?

Anyway, your bitching was never either entertaining nor useful. Wasn't it you who ranted on and on for months about how bhtv is inferior to Jim Lehrers' Snooze Hour?

Baltimoron
07-30-2009, 03:00 AM
It's misleading because of your subjective opinion of a "bad week", when what you wrote is just a clutch of very conclusory opinions. And, no, I ranted about the bad Asia coverage, which was relatively non-existent until recently. If you choose to label PBS shows with petty sobriquets, it's a cliched vein you're mining. You or bhTV would be proud to get the funding that show gets annually without fail.

BTW, Ezra Klein was on Tuesday talking health care reform (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/july-dec09/health_07-28.html). PBS is definitely more moderate and informative than this Board, although it's probably as good as the blogosphere can get - something I tell people often. That's the range - Lemon Lymon.com on one hand, PBS on the other. BhTV is just left of the center trying not to careen into Lemon Lymon.com.

nikkibong
07-30-2009, 03:35 AM
It's misleading because of your subjective opinion of a "bad week", when what you wrote is just a clutch of very conclusory opinions. And, no, I ranted about the bad Asia coverage, which was relatively non-existent until recently. If you choose to label PBS shows with petty sobriquets, it's a cliched vein you're mining. You or bhTV would be proud to get the funding that show gets annually without fail.

BTW, Ezra Klein was on Tuesday talking health care reform (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/july-dec09/health_07-28.html). PBS is definitely more moderate and informative than this Board, although it's probably as good as the blogosphere can get - something I tell people often. That's the range - Lemon Lymon.com on one hand, PBS on the other. BhTV is just left of the center trying not to careen into Lemon Lymon.com.

I had a long, well-researched, and in my humble opinion, witty riposte all ready to go. It pointed out your hypocricy (you once started a thread like this), your poor use of the English language, and the utter inanity of your weird nonsequitors in the last post.

But, really, what's the point? You are just a long-winded, pompous blowhard. And worst of all for a contributor to a lively internet forum: you are, without fail, stultifyingly boring.

Baltimoron
07-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Gee, don't tease! Once? Wow, there's a trend for you! Thorough empiricist, aren't you? With the crap you wrote in this thread is it any wonder I have little to learn from your "wit"?

Please, tell me more about diction!

JonIrenicus
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE]-Worldwise (by far the worst of the weekly BHTV series, boring/amoral IR speak, "strategery, interests" etc.)

don't remember it

Not much to say here, the topic was interesting to enough people on its own though. You could have put alf vs the cookie monster and the comments would have been just as long.

They cannot be experts now for the same reason most people are not experts, no one got everything right, there are people who claimed it could only lead to a continued spiral, no matter what, but it seems to have tapered off a great deal since 2-3 years ago.

The neocons, like myself (interestingly I was AGAINST the war at the start for the wmd/imminent threat argument, but was swayed later by the beachead in the middle east bulwark type argument) were chastened by the difficulties in Iraq, the anti war (the ones with the slightest bit of humility, not the losers and liars) folks who declared essentially those arabs were just to backwards to do anything but fight against each other and die and murder and become a cesspool turned out not to be right either. At least not all the time.

Do not remember

Matts fine, you just miss Bill. Admit it, you want him.

skipped it, creation/intelligent design arguments have devolved to the point of boredom to me.

UN Plazas issue is not the guys themselves, its the topics. Many of the topics are just downright uninteresting. The honduras episode was one of the more interesting ones because it was an interesting event. Many of the others are simply too detached for many of us to care about deeply.

Beard is an inadequate description. It was like watching someone else argue with Saruman.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/gallery/2002/10/29/saruman3.jpg

It was fine for me, but instead I will list my dream week lineup.

eli
frum
mcwhorter/glen
zimmer
spencer ackerman
will
meagan
douthat
conner clarke
Christopher Beam (he was great, too bad only on once)
Beinart
jonah
razib
Peter W. Singer ( more robots please )

and others I have forgotten

bjkeefe
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Not much to say here, the topic was interesting to enough people on its own though. You could have put alf vs the cookie monster and the comments would have been just as long.

LOL!

uncle ebeneezer
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
My dream week would be something like:

Bob/Joel Achenbach (for fun)

Heather Hurlburt/Bob Kagan (foreign policy)

Ezra Klein/Mickey Kaus (the gauntlet finally picked up)

PZ Myers/Chris Mooney (on science journalism)

Daniel Dennett/Bob (on New Atheism, since Bob loves to bring it up all the time.)

Glenn Loury/Mark Kleiman (on prison reform)

Alterman/Andrew Sullivan (on future of conservatism, blogging, journalism etc.)

Matthew Lee/Dean Baker (on predatory lending)

And of course, any way to get former diplomats or Rosa Brooks on would be welcome too.

claymisher
07-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I like it. I think Frum & Rick Perlstein would be a better future of conservatism.

uncle ebeneezer
07-30-2009, 07:59 PM
True, but I know Alterman still has a bone to pick with some things that Sullivan said about him in the early days of the Iraq War, and I'd love to hear Alterman take him to task.

claymisher
07-30-2009, 08:03 PM
True, but I know Alterman still has a bone to pick with some things that Sullivan said about him in the early days of the Iraq War, and I'd love to hear Alterman take him to task.

I'm sold.

Baltimoron
07-30-2009, 08:17 PM
1. Abbie Smith/PZ Meyers/Ed Yong/Carl Zimmer/Joshua Knobe on Science Saturday in any combination

2. Bob Wright plugging any new book or article every day until we all no longer need to buy the book or download the article. I also second the pairing with Achenbach - I wish all diavlogs were that humorous.

3. Mickey Kaus on his own with anyone (Bob and Mickey, too, but why not more Mickey?)

4. More Chris Preble/Heather Hurlburt

5. Matthew Lee/Eli Lake/David Corn in some combination

6. Jack Balkin/Eric Posner

7. Will Wilkinson v. Ezra Klein/Spencer Ackerman

8. John McWhorter/Glen Loury/Dayo Olopade in any combination and with others

And, special note: Where's Kerry Howley?

I'm also not liking the rigid scheduling of features on a weekly schedule. I always prefer more random pairings, or at least some effort to experiment with new pairings.Above all, get rid of Percontations!

bjkeefe
07-30-2009, 10:11 PM
My dream week would be something like:

Bob/Joel Achenbach (for fun)

Heather Hurlburt/Bob Kagan (foreign policy)

Ezra Klein/Mickey Kaus (the gauntlet finally picked up)

PZ Myers/Chris Mooney (on science journalism)

Daniel Dennett/Bob (on New Atheism, since Bob loves to bring it up all the time.)

Glenn Loury/Mark Kleiman (on prison reform)

Matthew Lee/Dean Baker (on predatory lending)

And of course, any way to get former diplomats or Rosa Brooks on would be welcome too.

Great list, uncle eb.

I'd add (as long as we're dreaming) any of {Hitchens, Myers, Coyne, Dawkins, Harris} as equally good or better on the Wright/Dennett pairing.

nikkibong
07-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Dream weak turns into nightmare week . . .

Other than that, good choices.

I would also add nikkibong and Michelle Goldberg. In a restaurant. Then a bar. Then . . . actually . . . this is not appropriate for a diavlog, definitely better off-camera.

bjkeefe
07-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I would also add nikkibong and Michelle Goldberg. In a restaurant. Then a bar. Then . . . actually . . . this is not appropriate for a diavlog, definitely better off-camera.

Yeah, I think that would be even more nauseating to watch than McMegan hosting a dinner party.

;^)