View Full Version : Dinesh on stuff

JonIrenicus
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
In the interest of highlighting a non slack jawed conservative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byz5PPMc3kI&feature=response_watch

bjkeefe
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

I quite agree with the description. D'Souza is a clench-jawed zealot, and utterly unbearable.

claymisher
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byz5PPMc3kI&feature=response_watch

Got any more gems from SwastikaEyes2009? Never mind. Now where's that ignore list link ...

JonIrenicus
07-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Got any more gems from SwastikaEyes2009? Never mind. Now where's that ignore list link ...

Yeah, the poster of the clips may have some issues, but what does that have to do with Dinesh?

Ah wait, I forgot, better to not listen to any arguments, and assume something about the speaker.

Such an open and liberal mind.

bjkeefe
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the poster of the clips may have some issues, but what does that have to do with Dinesh?

Ah wait, I forgot, better to not listen to any arguments, and assume something about the speaker.

Such an open and liberal mind.

You ignore the likelihood that clay and I have seen D'Souza before and/or read him. It is not closed-minded to conclude after collecting a volume of data that there's no point in collecting any more.

Lyle
07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
When you stop listening to someone, ipso facto, you are close-minded. :)

claymisher
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
When you stop listening to someone, ipso facto, you are close-minded. :)

Come on, do you spend all day hearing out the mentally ill guy downtown who's think he's the messiah? Spend a lot of time on rwor.org? Have you given Scientology a shot? Sheesh.

bjkeefe
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
When you stop listening to someone, ipso facto, you are close-minded.

No. You're forgetting that none of us has infinite bandwidth or unlimited time. This is simply making a judgment about how best to allocate one's scarce resources. Given that there are more voices out there than I will ever have time to listen to, many of which are certain to have something new to me to say, my best strategy is to realize when it's time to stop giving chances to someone who keeps ranting about the same few things.

Besides, if D'Souza ever does say something interesting, I'm sure word will filter through to me soon enough, from sources whose judgment I respect. The amazement factor alone would guarantee that. But given that in this case the recommendation came from someone who has at best a Jonah Goldberg-level view of how the world works, I think you can see why I do not consider this to be such a source.

Lyle
07-09-2009, 04:25 PM
No. You're forgetting that none of us has infinite bandwidth or unlimited time. This is simply making a judgment about how best to allocate one's scarce resources. Given that there are more voices out there than I will ever have time to listen to, many of which are certain to have something new to me to say, my best strategy is to realize when it's time to stop giving chances to someone who keeps ranting about the same few things.

Not being open to listening to someone has nothing to do with time. Either you're open to listening to them or you are not. And when you do listen to them, who says it'll take all day?

bjkeefe
07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Not being open to listening to someone has nothing to do with time. Either you're open to listening to them or you are not. And when you do listen to them, who says it'll take all day?

Welp, another day, another blue ribbon.

Lyle
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Woohoo!

popcorn_karate
07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
you can put it on your helmet!

kezboard
07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Why is it a bad thing that the leaders of the US, a wealthy, post-industrial democracy -- a country whose leaders are always talking about its exceptional destiny, how it's a shining city on the hill, a light for the rest of the world, etc. -- are held to a higher standard than tinpot dictators with no resources? It's silly. Folks like Dinesh D'Souza want us to believe that America is the greatest country in the world, but we can't say that the US should act like the greatest country in the world if that's what it wants to be.

JonIrenicus
07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Come on, do you spend all day hearing out the mentally ill guy downtown who's think he's the messiah? Spend a lot of time on rwor.org? Have you given Scientology a shot? Sheesh.

The problem though is that Dinesh is not that guy. I think you confuse agreeing with him on issues with his being rational.

Of all the people I disagree with on certain issues, he makes some of the most rational counter takes I have seen. Period.

If anyone actually listened to this guy, and came away with him being some sort of slack jawed fool, that tells me more about the listener than Dinesh.

claymisher
07-09-2009, 09:51 PM
The problem though is that Dinesh is not that guy. I think you confuse agreeing with him on issues with his being rational.

Of all the people I disagree with on certain issues, he makes some of the most rational counter takes I have seen. Period.

If anyone actually listened to this guy, and came away with him being some sort of slack jawed fool, that tells me more about the listener than Dinesh.

Check again. I was replying to the abuse of the ad hominem fallacy, not D'Souza. And you're the guy who brought up the slackness of jaws, not me.

I tuned out a little bit. I caught D'Souza doing the "liberals are actually closed minded" routine. What points did you think were interesting?