PDA

View Full Version : How Well Do You Know Firedoglake?

bjkeefe
06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
In the last SciSat, John and George both indicated that they had never heard of Firedoglake until one of them was invited to participate in one of FDL's online book chats. This surprised (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=117871#post117871) me.

I did acknowledge that we are all in our own bubbles to some extent, but two more fairly well- and broadly-informed people have since weighed in to tell me that they, too, were at best only vaguely aware of FDL.

How about you?

The questions in the poll, repeated here for your convenience in mocking them for failing to cover all possibilities:

-- I was/am well aware of FDL, independent of Bh.tv
-- I was/am vaguely aware of FDL, independent of Bh.tv
-- I am only aware of FDL because of Bh.tv
-- WTF is FDL?

[Added] Your username is not recorded with your vote on this poll, if you care.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Haha... Jane Hamsher and friends, not as popular as believed afterall.

Not surprising. They're mean and partisan, and most Americans don't like mean and aren't partisan.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 02:17 PM
This got me thinking...

Jane Hamsher is the pin-up girl for the angry white woman. Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

She's also the antithesis of Rachel Maddow who is much more likable in my opinion (I know, I know Hamsher appears on Maddow's show... but Maddow tends to hold back her hate).

uncle ebeneezer
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
This is about the response I expected (to the poll.) To my memory FDL wasn't around very long before BHTV started up. I had heard of it but never really checked it out. Then I saw Jane on BHTV and started reading it on occasion.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I think the average American just isn't all that familiar with particular political blogs. For people in to the political blogosphere, they'd likely know of Firedoglake or have heard of it or heard of Jane Hamsher maybe, but so many people just don't care or aren't that interested.

bjkeefe
06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
This got me thinking...

Jane Hamsher is the pin-up girl for the angry white woman. Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

Let's leave aside why it bothers you so much that a woman should be outspoken and have strong convictions, since I know there's no hope of fixing that part of you, and just move on to this: How is she different from, say, The Anchoress, Kathy Shaidle ("Five Feet of Fury"), Darragh Murphy, Uppity Woman (what she calls herself (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Uppity+Woman%22)), Debbie Schlussel, Ann Coulter, and Pamela Geller? Not to mention Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin?

She's also the antithesis of Rachel Maddow who is much more likable in my opinion (I know, I know Hamsher appears on Maddow's show... but Maddow tends to hold back her hate).

You should also keep in mind -- in the context of this thread, at least -- that whatever your hang up is about Jane Hamsher, she is far from the only voice at FDL. If you would like to read a liberal white woman at FDL who would probably strike you as less "angry" and filled with "hate," have a look at Marcy Wheeler (http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/)'s blog, to name but one.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Rachel Madlow isn't out spoken and doesn't have strong convictions?

bjkeefe
06-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Rachel Madlow isn't out spoken and doesn't have strong convictions?

Did I say that?

No.

And now I am going to stop responding to you for a while, since you're clearly on one of your kicks where you're just posting the first thing you can think of, whether it makes sense or not, as soon as you see me post anything.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 02:55 PM
No, you wrote this:

Let's leave aside why it bothers you so much that a woman should be outspoken and have strong convictions, since I know there's no hope of fixing that part of you

:)

Starwatcher162536
06-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I myself have never heard of it, even though I probably spend around 6-12 hours online a week (Independent of work/school).

Its worth mentioning Bloggingheads is the only site of a political bent I go to usually though...I normally do not even read the papers....