PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Caricatures

JonIrenicus
06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.pjtv.com/video/Specials/Keith_Olbermann_Smacks_Down_New_PJTV_Commentator_S teven_Crowder/1981/

the sad part is, this skit is not THAT far off in terms of many liberal perceptions of conservatives. Especially relating to Keith. Remember him when harping on Beck, as cartoonish as his show is, he was not the progenitor.

Oh and btw, the few times I have seen Becks show, if you watch him closely, you can see he is training to keep from laughing at his own ridiculous performance, as if he is trying to reign in his own shtick and not give it away. I am not convinced he actually believes a good portion of his own act, Keith comes across like he actually believes his rips. But maybe that is a distinction without a difference.

bjkeefe
06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh and btw, the few times I have seen Becks show, if you watch him closely, you can see he is training to keep from laughing at his own ridiculous performance, as if he is trying to reign in his own shtick and not give it away. I am not convinced he actually believes a good portion of his own act, Keith comes across like he actually believes his rips. But maybe that is a distinction without a difference.

Can't comment on Keith -- have never seen him. But as to Beck, I dunno. I know what you mean, and I used to think that myself. I no longer do, since I have been convinced by DF Wallace's article on right-wing talk radio (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200504/wallace), where he quotes one of the radio personalities who makes the case that conviction of this sort can't be (sustainably) faked -- the target audience inevitably sees through it.

I now think it's some combination of Beck's natural mien (he just has that sort of pudgy-faced jovial look), a self-trained instinct to smile regularly so that he doesn't come across as a complete crank to the unconvinced, and a rictus of sorts, when he really gets himself wound up.

However, if you're right and I'm wrong about Beck, then I do agree it's a distinction without a difference, assuming Keith is selling the same line of paranoia-mongering.