PDA

View Full Version : Them Jews

Lyle
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Rev. Wright thinks "them Jews" are keeping Obama from talking to him.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_wright_0610jun10,0,7603283.story

Asked if he had spoken to the president, Wright said: "Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office. ...

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is. ... I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

Wright also said Obama should have sent a U.S. delegation to the World Conference on Racism held recently in Geneva, Switzerland, but that the president did not do so for fear of offending Jews and Israel.

"Ethnic cleansing is going on in Gaza. Ethnic cleansing (by) the Zionist is a sin and a crime against humanity, and they don't want Barack talking like that because that's anti-Israel," Wright said.

pampl
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I just saw this over on the Economist's blog. I once defended this nutcase as the inevitable end result of Hoover's domestic espionage. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any JEWINTELPRO program though. Makes me sick.

Lyle
06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I can't believe Obama was so close to this man though. Jesus.

cognitive madisonian
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, a twenty year relationship, a conversion to Christianity.

Of course, this is on top of Obama's formerly friendly relations with the founder of the Electronic Intifada, chumminess with Edward Said, and toast of a virulent anti-semite at a party (the tape of which the LA Times refused to release).

It's very clear that before Barack became World Savior, he was in the anti-Semitic branch of the New Left.

Just imagine if it were a Republican whose pastor alleged Jewish control. The double standard in the mainstream media is sickening.

pampl
06-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Just imagine if it were a Republican whose pastor alleged Jewish control. The double standard in the mainstream media is sickening.
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You managed to ignore the millions of plausible examples of the media being in love with Obama and headed straight for the one instance where there's really no leg to stand on. The media doesn't have magical powers. They can only play a story for 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. News coverage of Wright was as heavy as physically possible, saving some sort of relativistic situation where news anchors are accelerated to speeds approaching c. Besides, there was a Republican who accepted an endorsement from a pastor with views as noxious as Wright's, and his name was McCain.

cognitive madisonian
06-12-2009, 12:24 AM
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You managed to ignore the millions of plausible examples of the media being in love with Obama and headed straight for the one instance where there's really no leg to stand on. The media doesn't have magical powers. They can only play a story for 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. News coverage of Wright was as heavy as physically possible, saving some sort of relativistic situation where news anchors are accelerated to speeds approaching c. Besides, there was a Republican who accepted an endorsement from a pastor with views as noxious as Wright's, and his name was McCain.

Coverage on Wright, not on Obama's relationship with Wright. If it were a Republican, the media line would be that the candidate was an extremist and shared the pastors' views.

And you honestly mean to comapare accepting an endorsement with a twenty year relationship, conversion to Christianity, baptism of children, etc. give me a break.

Obama knew Wright was an anti-semite, and he didn't care. Because he shared the same views.

Lyle
06-12-2009, 12:57 AM
An endorsement ain't the same as being the guy's pastor for umpteen years. Jeremiah Wright looks at Obama as if he is his son.

Lyle
06-12-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't actually think Obama shared the same views. I think Obama has been thinking of higher office from an early age and used Wright and his church for political reasons.

Perhaps Obama toyed with anti-semitism at one point, but my guess is if he did he rejected it pretty quickly. I think Obama's past association have actually made him a better person and politician, because I think he sees how a lot of these people are just wrong, and/or how they've failed.

I mean Obama is surrounded by Jews at the White House. Wright is not exactly wrong about that. I just don't think that's a bad thing, like Wright does.

pampl
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Coverage on Wright, not on Obama's relationship with Wright. If it were a Republican, the media line would be that the candidate was an extremist and shared the pastors' views.

And you honestly mean to comapare accepting an endorsement with a twenty year relationship, conversion to Christianity, baptism of children, etc. give me a break.

Obama knew Wright was an anti-semite, and he didn't care. Because he shared the same views.
And yet the media line on Haggee wasn't that McCain was an extremist and shared his pastor's views. I guess the big bad liberal media forgot to be biased then.

I think your idea of them covering Obama's relationship with Wright is pretty funny. They're supposed to record him sitting in the pews listening to a service? That isn't exactly ratings gold.

In terms of what it reveals about the candidate? It's more important. Obama's married to Michelle yet her views are less important and relevant than which groups he chooses to ally himself and which he chooses to snub.

cognitive madisonian
06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't actually think Obama shared the same views. I think Obama has been thinking of higher office from an early age and used Wright and his church for political reasons.

I've gone back and forth on the issue, and most of the time I'm more inclined to believe as you do. It certainly is consistent with many of Obama's later actions (eg touring the country with an anti-gay gospel singer).

Perhaps Obama toyed with anti-semitism at one point, but my guess is if he did he rejected it pretty quickly. I think Obama's past association have actually made him a better person and politician, because I think he sees how a lot of these people are just wrong, and/or how they've failed.

I don't think Obama, if he is an anti-semite, is quite in the old-school "them Jews" camp. Moreso in the type of subtly anti-Jewish way that we see in some pockets of the left--the ones that spend all their time attacking Israel for "war crimes", call Zionism "racism", and then quickly turn to a straw man when anyone points out that their criticisms are extreme and suggest anti-semitism ("It's not anti-Jewish to criticize Israel!").

I mean Obama is surrounded by Jews at the White House. Wright is not exactly wrong about that. I just don't think that's a bad thing, like Wright does.

Well, as a counter to that, bear in mind that Nixon was a paranoid anti-semite and still worked with Jews (and supported Israel!). Again, I don't think Obama has the psychological issues that Nixon did (thankfully). I think Obama has a whole different set of issues :p

Lyle
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Being a Democrat he's going to rub shoulders with the anti-Israel left-wing types. My guess is he's middle of the road on Israel, i.e., they need to draw a border and respect it, and the Palestinians need to mature as a people so that a two-nation state can work out in the end.