PDA

View Full Version : Bob Wright book tour appearances

Nate
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Several dates if you want to see Bob give a talk about his new book, "The Evolution of God":
http://evolutionofgod.net/schedule/
(More dates constantly being added)

Just fyi for anyone that lives near those spots and wants to see him in person or meet him. (mention bhtv if you talk to him ;) )

Nate
06-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Hopefully at least one of his book talks will get put up on YouTube or something at some point.

nikkibong
06-01-2009, 04:33 PM
He's not visiting America's finest bookstore (http://www.powells.com/)?!?

uncle ebeneezer
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks Nate. I wonder if he's doing book-signings at these talks (it would be a rather good way to promote sales) but most of the links don't mention it.

osmium
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Bob, please give a talk in New York City. Pretty please.

Nate
06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks Nate. I wonder if he's doing book-signings at these talks (it would be a rather good way to promote sales) but most of the links don't mention it.

I'm not sure. I know at the San Francisco one they are having a reception afterwards (free drinks apparently) where you can talk to him. Not sure about the others.

uncle ebeneezer
06-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Bob, please give a talk in New York City. Pretty please.

It's not a big enough market ;-)

osmium
06-07-2009, 05:53 PM

osmium: Bob Wright has a book coming out, so I hope he gives a talk in the city.

osmium's better half: Is that Bob of Bob and Frasier?

osmium: Yes.

osmium's better half: I hope he comes and he brings Frasier.

Ocean
06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
You can always take the train or drive to Princeton. Not that far really.

Joel_Cairo
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM

I'm kind of bummed he's not coming to Boston (no biggie I guess; not much of a college town). I would love to heckle him before finally going up and introducing myself.

claymisher
06-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm kind of bummed he's not coming to Boston (no biggie I guess; not much of a college town). I would love to heckle him before finally going up and introducing myself.

That's one of my favorite bits from Spinal Tap!

KausFan4Life
06-09-2009, 12:43 AM
osmium: Bob Wright has a book coming out, so I hope he gives a talk in the city.

osmium's better half: Is that Bob of Bob and Frasier?

osmium: Yes.

osmium's better half: I hope he comes and he brings Frasier.

Frazier is beginning to have a bigger following than Bob. (and his forthcoming book's cover (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30723&id=1757480065&ref=mf) seems to be very similar to Bob's)

uncle ebeneezer
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Although JC set it up perfectly, my NY remark was definitely an homage to the Tap. I was curious if anyone would pick it up.

I just watched parts of Spinal Tap recently and gotta say, I don't know if there is any other classic comedy that still stands up so well after so many years and after I have seen it dozens of time. Caddyshack is about the only real contender in my world.

nikkibong
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I just watched parts of Spinal Tap recently and gotta say, I don't know if there is any other classic comedy that still stands up so well after so many years and after I have seen it dozens of time. Caddyshack is about the only real contender in my world.

Some Like It Hot, Tootsie, My Cousin Vinny, Groundhog Day . . .

Biodome.

uncle ebeneezer
06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
All great candidates, but not on the same level as Tap or Caddyshack in my opinion. Although What About Bob? never gets old to me.

By the way have you seen this Golden Girls tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0QtJMKt1s

Pretty out there, but I laughed.

bjkeefe
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Galaxy Quest for me, although I grant it's only been out about half as long.

uncle ebeneezer
06-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I haven't seen GQ as many times, but yeah that one was surprisingly awesome.

This brings up an interesting point for a Sci Sat discussion. Steven Pinker does an excellent job in Stuff of Thought, on comedy and the reliance on misdirection. The punchline has to be a surprise or go somewhere way out there etc. I'd be curious to hear somebody try to dig into how it is that Airplane can still be "funny" to me even after I already know all the jokes/gags. i'd love to know if the brain reacts differently to a joke the 1st time, vs. the 25th time etc.

bjkeefe
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I haven't seen GQ as many times, but yeah that one was surprisingly awesome.

This brings up an interesting point for a Sci Sat discussion. Steven Pinker does an excellent job in Stuff of Thought, on comedy and the reliance on misdirection. The punchline has to be a surprise or go somewhere way out there etc. I'd be curious to hear somebody try to dig into how it is that Airplane can still be "funny" to me even after I already know all the jokes/gags. i'd love to know if the brain reacts differently to a joke the 1st time, vs. the 25th time etc.

Generally, I find discussions about jokes to be about the worst thing I can imagine having to suffer through, but this one question is kind of interesting. Why is it that, to a given person, some jokes stay funny (and even improve with repetition), while most jokes are only funny once or twice?

Maybe it's like comfort food? You remember the pleasant sensation from the first time you heard the joke?

Nate
06-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks like a radio interview was added to the appearances list for tomorrow at 11:30 am for anyone in Pasadena, CA. (on KPCC 89.3)

Nate
06-28-2009, 02:26 AM
More dates have been added, fyi.

The one Bob did for the New America Foundation has a full video/mp3 of his talk:
http://www.newamerica.net/events/2009/the_evolution_god

osmium
06-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Yay for an NYC date! Sniff sniff that it's Sept 10! We could have nuclear armageddon by then, but I will mark it on my calendar. Barnes and Noble should be making Bob offers he can't refuse. "Dear Bob, please rescue us from the schedule of vapid writers we currently have.* We'll get you a suite at the Waldorf Astoria, a cab ride from Jersey, and a shampoo for Frazier. Michael Jackson is gone, and the world needs heroes. Heroes, Bob!"

*Note, I did not actually check for the vapidity of the current schedule. The last writer I went to a book signing for was Bruce Campbell, so I have no room to talk really.

Nate
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Bruce Campbell = awesome