PDA

View Full Version : Another Troublesome Scenario for Jesus

uncle ebeneezer
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I must say, Matt's been on fire with these torture posts:

2 children, 1 nuke, one law.

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/04/implausible-hypothetical-cases-make-bad-law.php

bjkeefe
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I must say, Matt's been on fire with these torture posts:

2 children, 1 nuke, one law.

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/04/implausible-hypothetical-cases-make-bad-law.php

Good post. Thanks for passing it along.

I am sorry to say, however, that due to your comment, I am only able to think of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (http://www.last.fm/music/John+Lee+Hooker/_/One+Bourbon,+One+Scotch,+One+Beer)."

uncle ebeneezer
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
NIce. GT & the Delaware Destroyers (really, why would someone want to destroy Delaware?) was one of the most inane concerts I ever went to. My buddy won tix on the radio. And if it hadn't been during Summer Vacation, we probably wouldn't have gone.

I wanna make tee shirts that say "Enhanced Interrogation Methods: They Were Good Enough for Pontius Pilate!"

bjkeefe
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
NIce. GT & the Delaware Destroyers (really, why would someone want to destroy Delaware?) was one of the most inane concerts I ever went to. My buddy won tix on the radio. And if it hadn't been during Summer Vacation, we probably wouldn't have gone.

I wanna make tee shirts that say "Enhanced Interrogation Methods: They Were Good Enough for Pontius Pilate!"

I hope you mean insane.

I was going to link to their version -- I like GT and the DD for a long time, too -- but I figured I'd give the master the props he is due.

uncle ebeneezer
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
No it was pretty boring, as concerts go (don't get me wrong, I love some of his tunes.)

Perhaps "inane" was a poor choice of words, but rather than admit being wrong or correcting myself I'm gonna stand by my words.

AemJeff
04-27-2009, 09:39 PM
No it was pretty boring, as concerts go (don't get me wrong, I love some of his tunes.)

Perhaps "inane" was a poor choice of words, but rather than admit being wrong or correcting myself I'm gonna stand by my words.

I fully support you in your choice of adjective. GT always seemed to me to squeeze every drop of "swing" and feel from the blues. Gimme Hooker (whom I saw perform about twenty years ago - one of the two or three best live shows I've ever seen) any time. The man was a god.

bjkeefe
04-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I fully support you in your choice of adjective. GT always seemed to me to squeeze every drop of "swing" and feel from the blues. Gimme Hooker (whom I saw perform about twenty years ago - one of the two or three best live shows I've ever seen) any time. The man was a god.

I love the Hook, but I don't feel bad about having liked Thorogood. He did get a little stale as time went on, but I thought he was fresh for his first few albums. I also thought he was a great entertainer, that his white-boy interpretations of the blues was legitimate and well-done, and as with others who have done this, from Aerosmith to Zeppelin, I thank him for helping to expose the original music upon which they built.

uncle ebeneezer
04-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah comparing GT to Hook or Buddy Guy or Stevie Ray or any of the heavy blues cats really isn't fair. I loved GT when I was in high school (he sang about alcohol!...in every song! how could a 15 year old not dig that?) But his concert was right around the time that I first saw Living Colour, who showed me how awesome it can be when a band improvises and plays the tunes differently and with higher energy, than on the album. Whereas GT (and Steve Miller) were the concerts where I realized that hearing everything exactly (or mostly) like the album, just doesn't do it for me live (though I'm guessing that I would make an exception for Pink Floyd if I ever see them.)

So it was really more of a personal awakening of what I like and don't like, and unfortunately GT will always be associated with the side that I "don't like" even though it would be inaccurate to say I "don't like" him. If that makes any sense. That said his songs are catchy and fun and as a Delaware alum, I gotta root for his continued success.