PDA

View Full Version : The Apple cultists HATE this ad ! ! !

JonIrenicus
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRF9-5itZA4

clean looking young guy picking a pc over a mac. They are PISSED.

uncle ebeneezer
04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
For the purposes of the stuff I do, PC vs. Mac has never been much of a concern. It's mostly style and a bit of service. But I know several people who are in graphic design or sound engineering who favor Macs. And then I know several people in other areas who prefer PC's. To each his own. I will say that I switched to a MAc about 2 years ago, and the lack of viruses has been something that I have truly savored (knock on wood.)

bjkeefe
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRF9-5itZA4

clean looking young guy picking a pc over a mac. They are PISSED.

Since Mac/PC flame wars have got to be about the stalest thing ever, I will instead take you to task for using "clean" as a compliment for a man who is evidently not a white Anglo-Saxon.

Who do you think you are, the Vice President or something?

;^) (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/)

claymisher
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM
For the purposes of the stuff I do, PC vs. Mac has never been much of a concern. It's mostly style and a bit of service. But I know several people who are in graphic design or sound engineering who favor Macs. And then I know several people in other areas who prefer PC's. To each his own. I will say that I switched to a MAc about 2 years ago, and the lack of viruses has been something that I have truly savored (knock on wood.)

The virus thing was a clincher for me. And, as dumb as this sounds, I really prefer the Mac system fonts and anti-aliasing technology. It's a lot softer on the eyes. That and the unix thing.

Starwatcher162536
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM

I dunno really know what kind of computer programs acoustic engineers play with, but I have heard various AutoCads don't work well with Macs*1. Also, most of the high dollar specialty programs*2 I am familiar with are all designed for use on a PC.

1*(To my knowledge, there is no official support from AutoDesk for running their programs on a Mac).

2*(Dont think I would spend $40,000 for a license of EasyPower only to have it not run on my Mac.....)

JonIrenicus
04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Since Mac/PC flame wars have got to be about the stalest thing ever, I will instead take you to task for using "clean" as a compliment for a man who is evidently not a white Anglo-Saxon.

Who do you think you are, the Vice President or something?

;^) (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/)

I was going to say "good looking" but that would have other implications.

bjkeefe
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM

I used to be one of those people who said "MacIntoy" and all that, but that stopped with a bang when OS X came out.

However, after my initial excitement over what seemed like computing nirvana -- GUI by Apple, with Unix under the hood!!! -- I grew disenchanted, largely because Apple backed off from its original pledge to keep the underlying Unix part open source. (Talk about your holy wars!) If there is nothing so zealous as a recent convert, then second on the list has to be the erstwhile recently converted who feels cheated by those very evangelists.

A few more months went by, and I eventually settled to a new equilibrium. I now (mostly) appreciate Apple's desire to control a closed ecosystem for the benefit of the end user, and I do think they have more design smarts in their collective pinkie than does the PC world in its whole corporate body. I do not have any problem with the stereotypical Mac hipster being snobby about the chicness of his Apple gadets; at the same time, I like the stripped-to-the-basics, open hardware platform aspect of PCs, an aesthetic one might call "grunge." (Seattle, WA, represent!)

But seriously ...

The first really smart carpenter I ever worked for backed me up when another of his assistants was giving me grief for using the "wrong" tool, saying, "Whatever it takes to get the job done." I have ever since embraced this philosophy, although it has to be said that Arnold sorely regretted saying it when he saw me reaching for one of his good chisels.

uncle ebeneezer
04-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Starr, most of the sound engineers I know actually use both. Like Logic and ProTools, they seem to both be able to do somethings that the other can't.

bjkeefe
04-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I was going to say "good looking" but that would have other implications.

Heh.

Actually, I do not think it undermines one's hetero-masculinity to call a good-looking guy a hottie.

uncle ebeneezer
04-17-2009, 02:36 PM
If there is nothing so zealous as a recent convert, then second on the list has to be the erstwhile recently converted who feels cheated by those very evangelists.

If you put this on a t-shirt I will buy (at least) one!

I see the same sort of snobbery in musicians with respects to what brand guitar, style, year, where it was built etc. I get flak from music-snob friends because I buy a $400 guitar instead of shelling out $3,000 for some vintage classic. Usually there is something to their arguments in that the mass manufactured overseas, cheapo stuff will have more problems due to lesse quality assembly and parts etc., but at the end of the day it's really to each his own.

bjkeefe
04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
The virus thing was a clincher for me. And, as dumb as this sounds, I really prefer the Mac system fonts and anti-aliasing technology. It's a lot softer on the eyes. That and the unix thing.

I'm curious how scrupulous you and uncle eb are about keeping current with patches for your computers. I'm a bit of a hysteric about computer security, so I track several blogs on the topic, and it is my considered opinion that Apple users who go too far down the "I'm safe" road and put off running System Update are in almost as much danger of being pwned as a PC owner.

I think your other reason for preferring a Mac is the farthest thing from dumb. Once one gets a machine that is adequately powered for the tasks at hand, by far the most important thing is the human interface. I have two concerns tied for first on my list: the display and the keyboard. I can adapt to almost anything else, but there are no workarounds for irritations provoked in these areas.

bjkeefe
04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
If you put this on a t-shirt I will buy (at least) one!

Heh. Please feel free to treat my line under the spirit of CC-A (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/), but if you make a million dollars, I hope you'll treat me a bit better than Pink Floyd treated Clare Torry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Torry).

I see the same sort of snobbery in musicians with respects to what brand guitar, style, year, where it was built etc. I get flak from music-snob friends because I buy a $400 guitar instead of shelling out $3,000 for some vintage classic. Usually there is something to their arguments in that the mass manufactured overseas, cheapo stuff will have more problems due to lesse quality assembly and parts etc., but at the end of the day it's really to each his own.

Yes. And similarly for cars and trucks and power tools and stereo equipment and ...

TwinSwords
04-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Heh. MS has a couple of commercials in that series, and they all take a little poke at Apple, e.g., "I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person."

I think they're pretty good commercials, and if they drive the Apple cultists crazy, all the better. There really are no more annoying people in the world of personal computing.

Still: I find laughable the idea that any "technically savvy" (per the commercial) person would buy a computer off the shelf at Best Buy (e.g.), or online, for that matter.

TwinSwords
04-18-2009, 06:06 AM
I think your other reason for preferring a Mac is the farthest thing from dumb. Once one gets a machine that is adequately powered for the tasks at hand, by far the most important thing is the human interface.
You left out "has the software I need or want," but apart from that omission, I could not agree with you, and by extension claymisher, more: Macs (and Apple products generally) are simply beautiful, the marriage of art and technology. The Apple iTouch is perhaps the most beautiful piece of technology I have ever seen: the interface is absolutely lucious. And Apple paved the way for good interface design going back decades. I still remember vividly the first time I set my eyes on a Mac, and the first time I got to sit down in front of one to use it.

I'm not a Windows hater, and I think Windows XP is a pretty good interface, both functionally and aesthetically, but I think Apple interfaces still wins.

The main reason I would not consider a Mac for years was because of Steve Jobs inexplicible blind spot regarding the one button mouse, insisting that users don't need 2 or more buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if this cost him half or more of his potential market share. Jobs, while clearly a design genius, can also be quite dogmatic.

TwinSwords
04-18-2009, 06:12 AM
I do think they have more design smarts in their collective pinkie than does the PC world in its whole corporate body.

And it's not just "the PC world" that cannot compete with Apple interface design: it's every industry Apple competes with, the other two being phones and portable media players. There are no other interfaces for either device that can hold a candel to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

at the same time, I like the stripped-to-the-basics, open hardware platform aspect of PCs, an aesthetic one might call "grunge." (Seattle, WA, represent!)

Hehe....

claymisher
04-18-2009, 01:04 PM
And it's not just "the PC world" that cannot compete with Apple interface design: it's every industry Apple competes with, the other two being phones and portable media players. There are no other interfaces for either device that can hold a candel to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

I think Apple's deal is that if they can't make it sleek they won't make it at all.

I always liked this three button mouse from my linux days:
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/%7Eyav/comp/pc/mouse/ltmm3u.jpg

bjkeefe
04-18-2009, 01:53 PM
You left out "has the software I need or want," ...

I did mean that by "adequately powered" but thank you for making it explicit.

The main reason I would not consider a Mac for years was because of Steve Jobs inexplicible blind spot regarding the one button mouse, insisting that users don't need 2 or more buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if this cost him half or more of his potential market share. Jobs, while clearly a design genius, can also be quite dogmatic.

Agreed. That was a source of irritation to me, too. However, I found out by chance when I got a Mac hand-me-down that was missing a mouse and had to go buy a third-party one that Macs (or OS X at least) support multi-button mice, right out of the box. Plug it in to the USB port, and it just works -- right-click at will, and context menus pop up just like you'd expect. I like to think that this functionality was built in due to an inside joke about The Steve among every software engineer at Apple. I would like to think they had a pool going to guess how long it would be before Jobs noticed it was there.

bjkeefe
04-18-2009, 02:00 PM

I disagree, slightly. Were I to buy a smartphone, I would probably get a Blackberry. (Actually, I'd probably at least lean towards a gPhone, just to be able to hack on it, although I agree that the current models at least are not as slick as iPhones.)

Generally, though, I agree. And on that note, I have a dream that one day, Steve Jobs will change his mind about ebook readers.

I always liked this three button mouse from my linux days:

I sure know that feeling.

One of the most delightful moments in my recent computing life, though, was the discovery that the scroll wheel on most two-button mice -- even the bottom of the line Microsoft Mouse, works just like a middle button on a three-button mouse. The added goodness that comes from this in the context of a browser cannot be overstated -- I would be lost without being able to middle-click on links.

bjkeefe
04-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Still: I find laughable the idea that any "technically savvy" (per the commercial) person would buy a computer off the shelf at Best Buy (e.g.), or online, for that matter.

Why do you say this? That's how I've bought all of my computers -- the first one ever at a store, the second (newly purchased one) ordered at one of those extinct Gateway stores, and every (purchased) one since online, including some from eBay. I have had no regrets due to these channels; e.g., I was able to modify any of the machines as much as I wanted (modifiability was one of the things I checked for when researching specific models before purchase).

I always toyed with the idea of building a machine from scratch, but in the early days, it seemed like too much of a hassle to assure compatibility among components, and later, it did not seem like enough of a money-saver to make it worth my time.

Nonetheless, I consider myself at least somewhat tech-savvy, so I wonder what you mean by this. And how do you get your machines? Do you build them yourself?