PDA

View Full Version : netbooks are glorious things

JonIrenicus
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Now I can create posts even MORE now!

I can just see the joy on so many faces ! ! !

but seriously, this thing is going everywhere with me.

bjkeefe
03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Now I can create posts even MORE now!

I can just see the joy on so many faces ! ! !

but seriously, this thing is going everywhere with me.

How is it to type on for extended periods? And how big are your hands?

JonIrenicus
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
How is it to type on for extended periods? And how big are your hands?

typing is about as good as it's going to get on a netbook, I got the hp mini which has a 92% keyboard (as compared to a typical notebook keyboard), and the keys are placed where they should be. I have yet to type for extended periods.

Hand size here is slightly bigger than average, but nothing too out there.

bjkeefe
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
typing is about as good as it's going to get on a netbook, I got the hp mini which has a 92% keyboard (as compared to a typical notebook keyboard), and the keys are placed where they should be. I have yet to type for extended periods.

Hand size here is slightly bigger than average, but nothing too out there.

Thanks. I'm thinking about getting one when my old laptop dies, but I'll really need to bang on one for a while to see how it feels. I am ham-handed even on a desktop keyboard.

claymisher
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Is it 3G, or do you only go places with wifi?

JonIrenicus
03-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Is it 3G, or do you only go places with wifi?

mine has a slot for a 3g chip, but did not come stock with it, for now I just use wifi, serves my needs most of the time. But then I just put it through its maiden voyage today.

This is the one I got

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9125653&type=product&id=1218028867515

bjkeefe
03-30-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9125653&type=product&id=1218028867515

Did you consider getting one with Linux instead of Windows?

JonIrenicus
03-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Did you consider getting one with Linux instead of Windows?

no. But the hp mini allows you to download their MIE version (mobile internet edition - hps ubuntu variant). There is a disk with a low cost version of xp that came with the mini, as well as a 2gb flash memory in case you need to reload windows, this way, you get both.

If you get the linux version you would have to pay for windows separately if you ever needed it.

For what it's worth, I think hp did a good job making ubuntu more streamlined in their version, here is info on the same software being installed on a non hp netbook

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/video-hps-mie-linux-distro-runs-just-fine-on-acers-aspire-one/

but anyone can put any version of linux they wish on their netbook.

the main thing you will have trouble with on a netbook is any HEAVY cpu intensive task. I can play most youtube videos for example, even bloggingheads vids, but hd streams like you might find on youtube or vimeo are a little too tough for the current crop of netbooks.

But its more than enough for its primary purpose, internet browsing/email/light data entry.

NOT meant to replace a desktop or full power notebook, more as a MUCH more mobile secondary device.