PDA

View Full Version : Why was the "click person's name" feature taken away?

Nate
03-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I noticed about a week ago that the feature where you could click a diavlogger's name (above the video screen) to take you to an automatically generated search of all the past diavlogs of that person was taken away.

I found it kind of useful sometimes; Anyone have any ideas on why it was taken away?

(Note for clarification: If you don't know what I am talking about, where the names are above the video box used to be a link like this: Robert Wright (http://bloggingheads.tv/search/?participant1=Wright,%20Robert))

TwinSwords
03-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh, good call, Nate! I was just fretting over that yesterday, and was toying with the idea of putting up a post about it.

Linking the Diavlogger's name to their search page was an ingenious decision by whomever made it way back when -- and it's a shame they've taken it away. I wonder what compelled them to remove it.

Nate
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I was thinking maybe it was getting tedious making new links every time there was a new person that appeared on the site?

But, then I was thinking, they link to so many things in the external links section, that it wouldn't seem too hard to do. Maybe it was some kind of a coding issue that we aren't privy to.

uncle ebeneezer
03-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Maybe it was the work of the MODERATORS!!!!! ;-)

TwinSwords
03-24-2009, 01:18 AM
ROFL! OMG you figured it out!!!1!!!

TwinSwords
03-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why they might have done it. The only theory I had, and it's a wild guess, was that they were doing it to save CPU cycles or bandwidth: every time you clicked the link, it performed a database query that could be quite taxing (judging from the long delay before getting a response). If they ever get more tech budget, they should reevaluate how they are doing those lookups.

Brenda
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
This feature was causing problems in some browsers. We'll try to resurrect it soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nate
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the update, Brenda. It isn't a problem or anything, I was just wondering. Thanks for the clarification. :)

TwinSwords
04-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks, BHTV, for restoring this incredibly valuable feature.

Hey, while we're on the topic, you should modify the Advanced Search page so that when someone searches for a particular person, the "date" range of the query defaults to "all," i.e., all diavlogs ever recorded, rather than the utterly useless "past 30 days." As a developer who has spent many years designing interfaces and conducting usability studies, I can assure you that a vast proportion of your users never realize they have to click that little "all" radio button to search the entire archive.

But again: thanks much for restoring the "click person's name" feature!

Brenda
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I know, the search page interface, especially the date stuff, needs improvement. We've just never had the resources to fix it. Any genius programmers out there who want to volunteer, give me a shout.

Brenda
04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh, and, you're welcome for the name-clicky thing! I'll pass along your eternal gratitude to Milton.

Nate
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Totally a great feature. Glad its back!