PDA

View Full Version : First posts on forum

opposable_crumbs
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
In the diavlog section of this forum, the first post for each new diavlog is always nearly blank.

I wonder whether the name of the diavloggers and a link to the actual diavlog could be included in this blank post, in order for the forum to be more usable.

If the BH staff are really trying to justify their worth during these tough economical times, they could even include the diavlog summary (the beakdown of topics with corresponding dingalinks).

However, such posts would have to be omitted from forum posts that appear on the site proper.

Just a suggestion, and thanks for all the work you guys do keeping the site running.

AemJeff
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
In the diavlog section of this forum, the first post for each new diavlog is always nearly blank.

I wonder whether the name of the diavloggers and a link to the actual diavlog could be included in this blank post, in order for the forum to be more usable.

If the BH staff are really trying to justify their worth during these tough economical times, they could even include the diavlog summary (the beakdown of topics with corresponding dingalinks).

However, such posts would have to be omitted from forum posts that appear on the site proper.

Just a suggestion, and thanks for all the work you guys do keeping the site running.

I made the same suggestion a long while back. (Not claiming precedence here, just indicating my enthusiasm for this bandwagon!) This is great idea, and I hope the BHTVPTB (BHTV powers that be) take it up.

TwinSwords
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Excellent suggestion. It would be to the benefit of BHTV, and the diavloggers themselves.

It would also help users get to the diavlog, from the forum. I especially like your idea of including the list of dingalinks to the different topics.

It would be simple enough to accomplish. A five minute task per day.

ErikBam
03-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Wow, I think I'm the first person to post in the Minnesota Forum! Sweet. I didn't even know there was a Minnesota LoCo team.

http://sentersoftech.com/senter/happy.gif

Brenda
03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Okay, we're going to try this out. We'll put the diavlogger names in the thread title. (I did a few retroactively.) It's a manual process (please don't tell me it should be automated unless you're volunteering) so it adds to the BhTV workload, but hey -- our loyal commenters are worth it.

We can't easily use the message body for the topic titles/links though -- that would make the first post appear on the videopage, and we don't want that, except when we use that space for Afterthoughts or Technical Difficulties.

Good suggestion (that's addressed to everyone who's made it down through the ages). Thanks for your continued interest and support.

popcorn_karate
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
sweet! just saw the change and i really appreciate it, Brenda!

AemJeff
03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
so it adds to the BhTV workload, but hey -- our loyal commenters are worth it.

Isn't that our essential reason for being, to keep you guys on your toes?

But, aww... shucks. ;)

Thanks, it's a useful innovation.

bjkeefe
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Another vote of thanks.

Also, this ...

We can't easily use the message body for the topic titles/links though -- that would make the first post appear on the videopage, and we don't want that, except when we use that space for Afterthoughts or Technical Difficulties.

... is a good point.

AemJeff
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Isn't that our essential reason for being, to keep you guys on your toes?

In keeping with this deep commitment, I note a minor flaw in the posting tree display logic, as exemplified by this post (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=107932#poststop). The poster left the title field blank, so the the display logic uses the post itself as its display token in the list. Since the post is quite a bit longer than what's typically available for a title, the tree display has an entry that extends far beyond the right border. That has the side effect of moving the vertical scrollbar off the screen and out of reach.

uncle ebeneezer
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Wow, the green-text Brenda drops in for comments a couple days in a row. Am I the only one who feels a little like they've received a visit from one of the deities?

Seriously, thanks Brenda for the work you guys all put into this site and for the consideration (and sometimes application) of our suggestions. Keep up the great work. --UE

Brenda
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I note a minor flaw in the posting tree display logic, as exemplified by this post. The poster left the title field blank, so the the display logic uses the post itself as its display token in the list. Since the post is quite a bit longer than what's typically available for a title, the tree display has an entry that extends far beyond the right border. That has the side effect of moving the vertical scrollbar off the screen and out of reach.

Hmm. That was weird. I edited that post (moved the first sentence into the title field).

Does that happen whenever you wipe out the default title and don't replace it with anything? I'm going to try it here.

Update: Yup, it does. Fixing now.