PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if you are addicted to Bloggingheads.tv

Nate
02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Some warning signs that you might be addicted to Bloggingheads.tv. (or, at the very least, going down the path of addiction)

1. You have been known to constantly refresh the home page when you are bored, just to see if a new diavlog has been posted.
2. Names like Wonderment, garbage cowboy, and uncle ebeneezer are familiar to you.
3. You have an overwhelming desire to learn something scientific on Saturdays.
4. You have been known to post a comment just to see what bjkeefe will respond with.
5. Frazier is more familiar to you as the name of a dog than the name of a boxer.
6. You have ever seen someone on tv (or heard them on NPR) and thought to yourself, "that person seems familiar", only to realize you remember them from Bloggingheads.
7. Writing "bhtv" instead of "Bloggingheads.tv" saves you several thousand characters of typing per month.
8. A current event news story happens, and you think to yourself, "I wonder what they will say about this on Bloggingheads", and then are disappointed to realize the lag time means you won't know for several hours at least.
9. Green has mysteriously become your new favorite color.
10. You secretly harbor feelings of Robert Wright as a fatherly figure.

I may have been stretching a few of those just go get an even 10. Please add some of your own if you can think of some...

Ocean
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Some warning signs that you might be addicted to Bloggingheads.tv. (or, at the very least, going down the path of addiction)

1. You have been known to constantly refresh the home page when you are bored, just to see if a new diavlog has been posted.
2. Names like Wonderment, garbage cowboy, and uncle ebeneezer are familiar to you.
3. You have an overwhelming desire to learn something scientific on Saturdays.
4. You have been known to post a comment just to see what bjkeefe will respond with.
5. Frazier is more familiar to you as the name of a dog than the name of a boxer.
6. You have ever seen someone on tv (or heard them on NPR) and thought to yourself, "that person seems familiar", only to realize you remember them from Bloggingheads.
7. Writing "bhtv" instead of "Bloggingheads.tv" saves you several thousand characters of typing per month.
8. A current event news story happens, and you think to yourself, "I wonder what they will say about this on Bloggingheads", and then are disappointed to realize the lag time means you won't know for several hours at least.
9. Green has mysteriously become your new favorite color.
10. You secretly harbor feelings of Robert Wright as a fatherly figure.

I may have been stretching a few of those just go get an even 10. Please add some of your own if you can think of some...

11. If what you consider to be an important event isn't discussed at Bhtv, you start to wonder if it really happened...

So, how many of those do you need to "meet" to be considered addicted?

And what is the treatment for the addiction?

graz
02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
11. If what you consider to be an important event isn't discussed at Bhtv, you start to wonder if it really happened...

So, how many of those do you need to "meet" to be considered addicted?

And what is the treatment for the addiction?

I acknowledge (not suffer from) a fair number of the 11 points. As I don't subscribe to the disease model of addiction (personally), my prescribed treatment (or just a recipe for a good time) would be more bhtv - willful use of #7 noted.

Ocean
02-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I acknowledge (not suffer from) a fair number of the 11 points. As I don't subscribe to the disease model of addiction (personally), my prescribed treatment (or just a recipe for a good time) would be more bhtv - willful use of #7 noted.

Interesting cure! Let us know how it works...

uncle ebeneezer
02-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice thread. Count me in as a chronic sufferer.

12. You know who the "other Kaus" is.

13. You know better than to utter the words "Jessica Valenti breast controversy" in the presence of a certain WI law professor.

14. You've seen Grog.

15. You know way more about the UN than all of your friends combined.

16. You remember where you were when the first commenter broke the 1,000 mark.

17. You know what comes after the words "I'm David Corn, and I'm Jim Pinkerton..."

18. You know who threw down a guantlet, and who ran away from the challenge.

19. You have uttered something similiar to "I saw this great thing on Bloggingheads the other day" to your friends on several occasions.

20. You know that a dingalink is neither a dirty word, nor a pork product.

21. You count the days till the next Joel Achenbach sighting.

22. You know the real names of at least 3 other commentors.

23. You have almost been caught at work several times, writing a BH comment on company time.

24. You know what the Gang of Twelve refers to.

25. You have a stack of books on everything from parasites, to race relations, to behavioral psychology, beside your bed.

Ocean
02-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Uncle,

I failed most... :(

uncle ebeneezer
02-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, you have a clean bill of health!! Congrats.

johnmarzan
02-28-2009, 06:15 AM
17. You know what comes after the words "I'm David Corn, and I'm Jim Pinkerton..."

i don't know if anybody notices this, but wright-kaus diavlogs always start with "Hi Mickey! Hey Bob?"

Joel_Cairo
02-28-2009, 01:58 PM
12. You know who the "other Kaus" is.

13. You know better than to utter the words "Jessica Valenti breast controversy" in the presence of a certain WI law professor.

18. You know who threw down a guantlet, and who ran away from the challenge.

I like these old-schooly ones that hinge on intimate knowledge of the archives (gives long-timers a certain snobby street-cred advantage over newer fans). I would add:

26. You know what Bob's most traumatic moment in televised Super Bowl history was.

27. You know how many consecutive diavlogs had time devoted to discussion of George Bush kissing Joe Lieberman.

28. You know the topical context in which the moose was first deployed.

29. You remember when topics used to be broken up by that god-awful bell.

Nate
02-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Haha, those are some great ones guys.

A few more off I just thought of:

30. You own a stuffed moose and/or an Ann Coulter doll.
31. You use words like "dingalink" and "diavlog", and your offline friends look at you like you are speaking Greek.
32. If it has been awhile since Bob and Mickey spoke to each other, you begin to get antsy.
33. When making a political argument to someone, you draw on things you have heard on bhtv, and hope like hell they are correct.
34. You know who the real Felix and Oscar are.
35. You always introduce yourself by name and profession before you start a conversation with someone, and then politely ask the other person to do the same thing "for those that may be listening by podcast".

uncle ebeneezer
03-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I like these old-schooly ones that hinge on intimate knowledge of the archives (gives long-timers a certain snobby street-cred advantage over newer fans). I would add:

36. You remember when Joel Cairo was JUST a commenter ;-)

Wow, I forgot about the bell!! Nice.

uncle ebeneezer
03-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Yup. And almost always in that order.

And Heather Hurlburt routinely says "hello Bloggingheads nation."

Nate
03-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow, I forgot about the bell!! Nice.

I actually kind of miss the bell sometimes. It would be annoying to have it every time, but I think it should make an occasional appearance for posterity's sake.

Nate
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Some people say "hello internet" or "goodbye internet" (sometimes subbing "internets" or "interweb" or something for internet) at the beginning or end of a diavlog. I remember Matt Welch and Megan McArdle doing it several times.

uncle ebeneezer
03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
31. You use words like "dingalink" and "diavlog", and your offline friends look at you like you are speaking Greek.

This happens to me all the time.

-"I was watching this great diavlog the other day."

Met by Quizzical WTF look and then I have to do my 5 minute, rudimentary primer on this little obsession of mine (BHTV).

Followed by even MORE Quizzical WTF look. Works great on first dates, let me tell you.

Nate
03-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Followed by even MORE Quizzical WTF look. Works great on first dates, let me tell you.

...and then you tell them your handle is uncle ebeneezer and the deal is sealed.

uncle ebeneezer
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Well that's actually a reference from a Phish tune, so it works ok with hippie-chicks, but with pretentious LA actress types, not so much.

I actually have begun using a BH reference as part of my test for whether a girl is worth dating. I tell them about one of my favorite books, Carl Zimmer's "Parasite Rex." If they are grossed out, adios. If they find it interesting or at least understand why I might find it interesting from an Evolutionary perspective, then they might be a keeper.

Kevin
03-05-2009, 04:31 AM
This is a funny thread. You also know you're addicted to bloggingheads if....

37. ...you have ever spent a day or night with the flu, listening to one bloggingheads after the next. (Happened to me circa Russia and Georgia)

38. Off the top of your head and without reference, you can name some co-DVer pairs who have appeared more than once but not a lot - say 2-4 times. You checked out the archives for more of that certain dynamic and were bummed when they were all gone.

39. You've checked out the archives so much, you eventually said, 'oh what the heck, I may as well just take it from the top,' and started listening to the Wright/Kaus canon starting at 1.

40. You've checked out the archives so much, you get an ethical twinge that it's all free?? and feel like you ought to be subscribing in some fashion..

41. In addition to (32), you start to get a bit antsy when the topics and the highlights inexplicably *trade places* on the home page (twitch)

Joel_Cairo
03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I had an awkward moment the other day. I was trying to find the word "dialogue", and it was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't reach it. I kept circling around and around, landing repeatedly on "diavlog" until eventually I realized what was incorrect about that word (hint: the "v"). When BhTV neologisms are blocking out common english words, it's a bad sign.

nikkibong
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
When BhTV neologisms are blocking out common english words, it's a bad sign.

I know just what you mean. Just the other night, out on a date, I asked the woman sitting across from me if she wanted to see my dingalink.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

osmium
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM

I love this thread (holds hands apart at arm's length) this much.

Something I am occasionally asked at work: "Josh, what's that thing with the heads you watch?"

Or: "The other day I'm on ESPN.com, and I look over and sure enough, Josh has that two heads thing up."

Sure signs. They are working on an intervention.

osmium
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
42. You are mentioned in a diavlog, e.g. Mickey calls you "out to lunch," and a fellow BhTV addict emails to "congratulate" you. Ha. Then: you thank the academy, all the little people...

uncle ebeneezer
03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Joel, have you started incorporating "Full disclosure: I work for BHTV" into your greeting when you meet new people in person?

uncle ebeneezer
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Mickey and Bob both have stated opinions about you/your handle.

As much as I usually agree with Bob and bust on Mickey, Mickey once made a "na-na na-na na-na" gesture at me through the video screen and said "take that Uncle Ebeneezer." And it's one of my proudest moments.

Joel_Cairo
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Joel, have you started incorporating "Full disclosure: I work for BHTV" into your greeting when you meet new people in person?

I like to mix it up a little. I usually go with, "Hi, I'm Joel, and I should say for our podcast listeners that I work for BhTV."

osmium
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
As much as I usually agree with Bob and bust on Mickey, Mickey once made a "na-na na-na na-na" gesture at me through the video screen and said "take that Uncle Ebeneezer." And it's one of my proudest moments.

Right on. :)

uncle ebeneezer
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Awesome!! If we ever meet in person we can attempt a unison "and we are bloggingheads.tv" Corn/Pinkerton style.

uncle ebeneezer
03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
43. you keep two windows (sometimes more) of your internet browser open to a diavlog or comments page, nearly at all times that you are online.

44. you see a good interview somewhere else and think, "we gotta get him/her on."

AemJeff
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
43. you keep two windows (sometimes more) of your internet browser open to a diavlog or comments page, nearly at all times that you are online.

44. you see a good interview somewhere else and think, "we gotta get him/her on."

45. An hour or more goes by without a new comment, and after the five-hundredth page refresh, you want to put up a post that says "SOMEBODY POST SOMETHING, PULEEEEASE!!!1!"

uncle ebeneezer
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I start wondering if there's a problem with the server/site after 20 minutes without a new post!!

TwinSwords
03-10-2009, 01:21 AM
46. You make lists of all the ways you are addicted to Bloggingheads.tv.

;-)

nikkibong
03-10-2009, 07:35 AM
46. You make lists of all the ways you are addicted to Bloggingheads.tv.

;-)

47. you find yourself posting at 4:30 in the g***amn morning!!!!

osmium
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
45. An hour or more goes by without a new comment, and after the five-hundredth page refresh, you want to put up a post that says "SOMEBODY POST SOMETHING, PULEEEEASE!!!1!"

46. You wish Bloggingheads Watch (http://bloggingheadswatch.blogspot.com/2006/06/wednesday-june-7-waning-of-curse-of.html) was still updated.

uncle ebeneezer
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
47. Even though you are running late or busy, you check in first thing in the morning to see if someone responded to a post you did just before you went to sleep.

48. You know that the sign-on in the middle of the page (white area) doesn't work nearly as well as the small one in the upper-right (green area.)

uncle ebeneezer
03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
49. You just realized that this might be the only thread in BH history that Brendan hasn't weighed in on ;-)

AemJeff
03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
49. You just realized that this might be the only thread in BH history that Brendan hasn't weighed in on ;-)

12-step program.

Nate
03-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Haha; He is so far gone that he knows he is addicted and doesn't need a thread telling him the warning signs. :P

uncle ebeneezer
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
50. You excitedly watch a diavlog as soon as it comes up (late at night) then kick yourself realizing you'll have nothing new to watch tomorrow.

51. You realize that THC does NOT, in fact, help make a Quantum Mechanics diavlog any easier to understand, no matter how well David Albert and Sean Carroll do their jobs!

nikkibong
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
51. You realize that THC does NOT, in fact, help make a Quantum Mechanics diavlog any easier to understand, no matter how well David Albert and Sean Carroll do their jobs!

Sounds like you're addicted to something besides bh.tv!

BH.TV = gateway drug.

uncle ebeneezer
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, BHTV came around after any other addictions.

53. Your roomate is photographing a naked girl in your living room, and you're in your room listening to Bloggingheads. (I think I need an intervention.)

AemJeff
03-16-2009, 08:07 PM

53. Your roomate is photographing a naked girl in your living room, and you're in your room listening to Bloggingheads. (I think I need an intervention.)

Too late. Call a code! We need a crashcart here!

uncle ebeneezer
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Well, I don't want to piss off the roomate by peeking at the action all the time (as tempting as it might be.) And the diavlog was the Alterman/Reihan, and it was well worth it.

osmium
03-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Now that: that's funny.

Nate
03-19-2009, 07:03 AM

Ok, uncle; You are way further gone than I. You need an intervention immediately to get this addiction under control. ;)

Starwatcher162536
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
...you spend an hour online here at work everyday, resulting in you having to spend 2 hours late at work!

uncle ebeneezer
06-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Just ran across this little gem:

http://www.365questions.org/2007/04/09/bloggingheads-2-ways-blogging/

Nate
06-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Just ran across this little gem:

http://www.365questions.org/2007/04/09/bloggingheads-2-ways-blogging/

From April 9, 2007. Stinking hilarious.