PDA

View Full Version : Bloggingheads We Want BACK!

nikkibong
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
We've already got a 'New Bloggingheads We Want To See' category: how about 'heads that have seemingly disappeared that we want back? A few for me: Mark Kleiman, the Garance, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Jerome Corsi. (Note: last one was a joke.)

Also: bring back sessions about viewer comments!

AemJeff
02-21-2009, 02:55 PM
We've already got a 'New Bloggingheads We Want To See' category: how about 'heads that have seemingly disappeared that we want back? A few for me: Mark Kleiman, the Garance, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Jerome Corsi. (Note: last one was a joke.)

I have no idea how she actually feels about this, but I think Garance would be perfectly justified if she was uncomfortable about how she's been treated here. Personally, though: I'd love to see her back.

uncle ebeneezer
02-21-2009, 06:53 PM
David Albert, Jay Rosen, Joel Achenbach, Stephen Kaus, Gary Hart

bjkeefe
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Strongly second Mark Kleiman, Ta-Nehisi Coates, David Albert, and Joel Achenbach.

I'll add Eric Alterman, Andrew Bacevich, Emily Bazelon, Michael Bérubé, Rosa Brooks, Paul Butler, Sean Carroll, Henry Farrell, Richard Ford, Francis Fukuyama, Gershom Gorenberg, Christopher Hitchens, Jim Holt, Christine Kenneally, Joshua Knobe, Paul Krugman, Ellen Ladowsky & Rob Long, Daniel Larison, Daniel Levy, Josh Marshall, Duff McDonald, Ari Melber, Rick Perlstein, Eric Posner, Richard Preston, Richard Rhodes, Julian Sanchez, Harry Shearer, Michael Shermer, Rachel Sklar, Abigail Smith, Lee Smith, Andrew Sullivan, Aaron Swartz, Michael Tomasky, Rebecca Traister, Eugene Volokh, and John Wilkins.

And even though we just had them: Phil Plait, Carl Zimmer, and Felix Salmon.

And because we don't see him enough: Robert Wright.

JoeK
02-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Garance is not coming back because she is awkward in front of camera, even in front of web camera. The reason why is she is so awkward is probably because she is not good in speaking extemporaneously and she knows it. Also, Garance insulted diavloguing legend, Ann Althouse, and I am glad Bob recognized he didn't have a choice but to stop inviting her.

What does Ta-Nehisi Coates have to offer other than black-this-black-that talk? I am bored with discussions on race and there are other people who do it better than Ta-Nehisi.

Having Jerome Corsi back is very good idea. His one diavlog was very entertaining and his style suits diavlog format very well.

Mark Kleiman is alright.

graz
02-21-2009, 08:26 PM
...Also: bring back sessions about viewer comments!...

Bob seems to have given up on that unfortunately. Maybe it's just a matter of time constraints? I was even looking forward to a continuation of the solo sessions where Bob treated a few comments with due respect. But I much preferred watching Mickey squirm while Bob graced us with acknowledgment. I liked that he picked up on a theme in the thread, not simply to throw a bone, sometimes to clarify or elaborate.

Instead of engagement, we have to settle for the Denby - like plea for snark suppression.

All the above requests are stellar. Long live bhtv. Thanks Bob.

nikkibong
02-21-2009, 08:42 PM

who's that?

bjkeefe
02-21-2009, 09:32 PM
who's that?

I forget exactly. I think he's that bald guy who writes for Slate? Who's always going on about how we should be invading Iran like yesterday? And how the commenters in the forums are a bunch of namby-pambies who wouldn't say shit if they had a mouthful? Who once had a meltdown when he was asked about an obsession for blogging about other people's breasts? No, wait. Was it when he was asked to define fascism? Not sure.

Big Coulter fan, though. That much I remember.

uncle ebeneezer
02-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I highly doubt that Bob hasn't offered Garance a chance to come back (especially given the attention her last appearance spawned.) If anybody should have not been asked back after that whole affair, it was Althouse.

As a recent convert to TNC's blog I'd say he has a LOT to offer besides racial issues. Although race is an important element of his blog, he has interesting insights on a whole host of subjects.

In light of recent diavlog disses, I think a Jay Rosen vs. Ana Marie Cox cage-match might need to happen.

JoeK
02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
I highly doubt that Bob hasn't offered Garance a chance to come back (especially given the attention her last appearance spawned.) If anybody should have not been asked back after that whole affair, it was Althouse.

Yeah, that comment was tongue in cheek to annoy you people, but the one on awkwardness in front of camera was serious. What was the attention that her last appearance spawned? You are aware Garance had at least two more shows after the one where she insulted Althouse, right?

As a recent convert to TNC's blog I'd say he has a LOT to offer besides racial issues. Although race is an important element of his blog, he has interesting insights on a whole host of subjects.

In light of recent diavlog disses, I think a Jay Rosen vs. Ana Marie Cox cage-match might need to happen.
Maybe, I don't read him and I am bored with blacks discussing race in public. Now, having whites do the same could be interesting, but it ain't gonna happen and bhtv is probably not the place that should host that type of conversation.

Nate
02-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Stephen Kaus is a good suggestion that I am stealing from someone else.

Also, I'd like to see some of the Science Saturday one-timers like Aubrey de Grey and others come back for a second round.

TwinSwords
02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
— Rick Perlstein
— Richard Rodriguez
— Jeff Madrick
— Debra Dickerson
— Jon Fine
— Dean Baker
— Stephen Kaus
— Mark Kleiman
— Rosa Brooks
— John Amato
— Khaled Dawoud
— Chloe Breyer
— Marty Lederman
— Christopher Hayes

uncle ebeneezer
02-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Oh yeah, and Elizier Yudkowski, Dan Ariely, Jon Alter and Neil Shubin.

Bobby G
02-23-2009, 05:45 AM
It begins and ends with Matt Stoller.

War Stoller!

uncle ebeneezer
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
And Bruce Fein.

claymisher
02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I want to see some liberals go at it. Rick Perlstein & Johnathan Haidt would be good.

johnmarzan
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Strongly second Mark Kleiman, Ta-Nehisi Coates, David Albert, and Joel Achenbach.

I'll add Eric Alterman, Andrew Bacevich, Emily Bazelon, Michael Bérubé, Rosa Brooks, Paul Butler, Sean Carroll, Henry Farrell, Richard Ford, Francis Fukuyama, Gershom Gorenberg, Christopher Hitchens, Jim Holt, Christine Kenneally, Joshua Knobe, Paul Krugman, Ellen Ladowsky & Rob Long, Daniel Larison, Daniel Levy, Josh Marshall, Duff McDonald, Ari Melber, Rick Perlstein, Eric Posner, Richard Preston, Richard Rhodes, Julian Sanchez, Harry Shearer, Michael Shermer, Rachel Sklar, Abigail Smith, Lee Smith, Andrew Sullivan, Aaron Swartz, Michael Tomasky, Rebecca Traister, Eugene Volokh, and John Wilkins.

And even though we just had them: Phil Plait, Carl Zimmer, and Felix Salmon.

here's the right mix

rob long + mickey kaus
mickey kaus + ann althouse
christopher hitchens + bob wright
bob wright + mickey kaus
stephen kaus + mickey kaus
stephen kaus + ann althouse
daniel levy + david frum
david frum + Gershom Gorenberg
megan mcardle + paul krugman
andrew sullivan + glenn reynolds
michael totten + juan cole
john mcwhorter + ann althouse
john mcwhorter + ta nehisi coates

nikkibong
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Where have you gone, Mark Kleiman? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you . . . (http://www.usnews.com/blogs/risky-business/2009/03/16/california-might-legalize-marijuana.html)

Also: where the hell is Josh Cohen?

uncle ebeneezer
03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I miss Heather Hurlburt and Rosa Brooks (seems like ages.)

And I'd love to see Neil Shubin again.

nikkibong
05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
New Yankee Stadium, LeBron vs. Kobe imminent (?), 'roids, Michael Vick getting out of prison, the new A-Rod tell-all (see 'roids') . . . and apparently something involving hockey is happening, as well.

Another sports diavlog with Curtis & the other dude!

graz
05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
New Yankee stadium:

You may have a high-minded principle for boycotting... but it is a beauty. I wen to a game a couple of weeks ago. The design features open vistas from most vantage points - not just the view of the field - but the inner matrix of wide corridors showcasing huge photos of Yankee Hall of famers and a chronological depiction of all the teams from the various eras is situated in relief above the retail shops and food offerings. Along with monument park, there is a separate museum, all inclusive with your hundred(s) dollar ticket.

The scoreboard is also brilliant (think biggest, sharpest, giant-sized HD or plasma). They preserved the frieze from the original stadium and the dimensions are such that you might think you were still in the old park, except when you hit the restrooms or get food... Much improved. Supposedly, the aerodynamics allow homers to exit more frequently - that could also just be the early season pitching.

They lost to the Rays that night. And baseball can be as interesting as it often is boring. But the stadium is quite a thing in itself. Fwiw.

nikkibong
05-21-2009, 04:03 PM
New Yankee stadium:

I love baseball, graz: I even grew up a Yankee fan! But to me, New Yakee Stadium seems to embody everything that has gone wrong with baseball: namely, that it's bloated. Bloated contracts, bloated sluggers, and now, bloated stadiums. Not to mention bloated game times - most clocking in at nearly 4 hours now.

And then there's the personnel decisions; telling the Giambino to take a hike in order to get Texeira, trading Soriano for A-Roid a few years previously . . .blah blah blah, I'm sure you know the list.

I just can't support the Yankees anymore - and therefore, I can't follow baseball. (I could only support the Yankees!)

For me, it's all NBA all the time now: did you see that Cavs/Magic game last night?!?! Off da' hook.

P.S. I did catch the Monday night ESPN Yankee game, but that was only so I could enjoy Chris Berman's puns . . .

uncle ebeneezer
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, just gonna jump in with some random sports stuff:

As much as I would love, love, love to bury the Yankees and their fans deep in a snake-filled pit with Cheney, Bush, John Yoo etc., I would remind you that despite their questionable decisions they're only a game behind my Sox and only a couple back from 1st. And we've got roughly 6.02 X 10 to the 23rd games left in the season. I think a better commitment to team chemistry (as the Sox have seemed to embrace in recent years) would be a wise approach for the Yanks to get back to being perennial favorites.

I don't have too much insight on the new Yankees stadium. I haven't seen enough of it to make a real judgement. I certainly have issues with the $ first attitude that MLB has taken that has caused problems with steroids, free agency (nobody stays anywhere long) and high ticket prices etc., and the Yankees have usually been on the fore-front of those $-making trends. But I can't really argue too much as my Red Sox finally after years of being oblivious, stole some pages from the Yankee business model and it has paid great dividends for the city, fans and the Yanks/Sox rivalry.

I wish I could get more into the NBA playoffs, but it is hard since I don't have a tv, and I absolutely LOATH the Lakers and can't even bring myself to watch them.

As me and Graz have discussed previously, to me the purest and best sport as far as uncorrupt, hungry players and extreme feats of physical astonishment, is men's tennis and most prominently, any match that features Nadal and Federer. Their rivalry is making this a golden age in the sport, and I could rarely find two better examples of humility and class that is so hard to find in most sports nowadays. But tennis is definitely an acquired taste for many.

Also, on the what-is-right with sports meme, I would also applaud the fact that my Steelers (an organization that routinely lets big egos move on rather than overpay them) and also has been at the forefront of giving young/black coaches opportunities etc., also provided us with one of the most ridiculous Super Bowl's this past February.

That said, there are still "Manny" problems with sports and it can be distressing for fans much of the time (regardless of whether your team is winning or not.)

popcorn_karate
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I absolutely LOATH the Lakers and can't even bring myself to watch them.

amen!

graz
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Big Papi hit his first round tripper... so you might rest easier.
I'll watch almost any sport (even curling)... but none fanatically or religiously.
I've have also easily compartmentalized my pleasure in watching or playing from being soured by the bloat and "dope."

A separate argument for sure, but I am not opposed to enhancement specifically if it can be distinct from cheating.

I may hate certain politicians as an example (Newtie, Dick Armey or Sarah Palin), but not any particular teams. Hating the Lakers or Dodgers for instance denies the pleasure of watching the greatness of Kobe or Manny. I just can't get incensed by attitude problems. Here is an interesting quote from Curt Shilling:
So stop making athletes your icons, they’re supremely gifted, extraordinarily talented human beings, period. After that they’re no different than you, not one bit. They endure the same hardships at home, divorce, drugs, domestic violence, DUI, and every other thing you can read about on page A1 of any newspaper. Don’t make the mistake of thinking the size of the paycheck is relevant to the core of the man. Don’t place more responsibility on them, or accountability, because life doesn’t work that way.
http://38pitches.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/curt-schilling/general/2009/05/08/thank-you-jason-bay/

popcorn_karate
05-21-2009, 07:13 PM
all good points graz. I generally subscribe to this view of sports - and I definitely do not see sports figures as "role models" or anything that absurd. for the most part they are the last people anyone should look to for lessons in how to live life.

but i have one sports team i hate (the lakers) and one that i will always root for (the blazers) - and i am unwilling to be at all rational about it : )

but i am willing to acknowledge the irrationality.

uncle ebeneezer
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Well, Manny is a special case. I've never had such a love/hate feeling toward any player. He was SO amazing for the Sox (and Dodgers) and yet the personality issues were always persitent.

I basically expect my athletes to be egotistical idiots so I don't expect much from them. But that's what make the Mike Lowell's and Roger Federer's and Hines Ward's so special. As someone who loves to play sports and has done many on team and individual levels, I also do have a standard of what I think the "right way" to play (hustle, support your team, be gracious in victory as well as defeat etc.) is, so I really appreciate the guys who fall into that category.

My issue with the Lakers is the fact that I live in LA and I have never been into local team hype (I hated the Sox/Celtics when I lived in Boston as a kid). But even with that, I appreciate how amazing Kobe is. That said, i would love to see LeBron and the Cavs make my city cry (though I wouldn't put money on it.)

graz
05-21-2009, 07:38 PM
That said, i would love to see LeBron and the Cavs make my city cry (though I wouldn't put money on it.)

Me too. That is if they can figure out the Heat.

nikkibong
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Me too. That is if they can figure out the Heat.

they did. now let's see 'em figure out the magic!

graz
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
they did. now let's see 'em figure out the magic!
My bad ( tapping my chest, nodding guiltily and mouthing wordlessly... my b-a-d) Much like Dwight Howard did when he ripped the rim and knocked the 24 second clock off its mooring.

uncle ebeneezer
05-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Go nuggets! Damn, i'm gonna have to start WATCHING these games.

nikkibong
05-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Go nuggets! Damn, i'm gonna have to start WATCHING these games.

This is really the most essential moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNJ3_PswVw

But do catch tonight's Cavs/Magic game: it's on TNT, with Marv Albert announcing. The games are worth watching for his sonorous voice alone.

Oh, and this goes out to Graz:

A Rodriguez 3B 4 0 0 0 0 0 5 .171

$160 mill well spent!

graz
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
This is really the most essential moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNJ3_PswVw

But do catch tonight's Cavs/Magic game: it's on TNT, with Marv Albert announcing. The games are worth watching for his sonorous voice alone.

Oh, and this goes out to Graz:

A Rodriguez 3B 4 0 0 0 0 0 5 .171

$160 mill well spent!

Hate the playa not the game. Or am I being gamed? Color me confused.

uncle ebeneezer
05-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I went to a bar to watch the 3rd and 4th quarter of last night's game. What an ending! Though if I was a Cav's fan I would be feeling pretty worried. They came THAT close to going down 2-0 after having substantial leads in both games. I can't see the Cav's beating the Lakers in a 7 game series. Aside from Mo Williams, the Cav's are literally a 1-man team. The Magic are pretty exciting and may actually be a better match for the Lakers. Still rooting for the Thuggetts to pull the upset but not holding any breath.

nikkibong
05-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Hate the playa not the game. Or am I being gamed? Color me confused.

Indeed, hate the sin, love the sinner, or something like that. I love baseball, just boycotting this year because of people like A-Roid.

pampl
05-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Another Hitchens could be fun. Especially if Bob could get Marty Peretz on, they could spend half the time griping about leftist peaceniks then Marty could call Hitchens a communist and they'd tear into each other.

More Kaus would be good too. I dunno if he has chemistry with anyone but Wright but it's fun trying to imagine him using his "Well, BOB, if you'd let me finish.." didactic tone to talk down Althouse or Pinkerton when they go out on one of their crazy limbs.

claymisher
07-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Robert H Frank was on a couple of years ago. The guy is going to win a Nobel Prize one of these years. BH should get him on again while they still can.

claymisher
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Thomas Homer-Dixon has a new book, "Carbon Shift: How the Twin Crises of Oil Depletion and Climate Change Will Define the Future."