PDA

View Full Version : Score One for Transparency

uncle ebeneezer
02-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Definitely a step in the right direction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/us/politics/20budget.html?_r=1

I eagerly await the celebration of this from the Libertarian/fiscal conservative crowd who champion transparency. Feel free to cheer out loud.

bjkeefe
02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Definitely a step in the right direction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/us/politics/20budget.html?_r=1

Completely agree.

I eagerly await the celebration of this from the Libertarian/fiscal conservative crowd who champion transparency. Feel free to cheer out loud.

Ditto. It's going to be a real measure of who is intellectually honest, and who is just a wingnut, starting here and now, and continuing the next bunch of times budget and deficit numbers are discussed.

It's also going to be important to notice who among the Villagers gets this right, and even more importantly, who will speak up and correct those who will be trying to spin "Obama's ballooning deficit." I predict McCain will play this card with 80% certainty and Eric Cantor with at least 99% certainty, for example. Will it be only Paul Krugman, say, who will correct such people, or will other panelists? And what about the hosts of the shows? Will anyone besides Rachel Maddow have the guts/smarts to challenge an interviewee?

uncle ebeneezer
02-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Only 80% on McCain??? I hope the remaining 20% isn't due to his well-established "maverick" persona!! ;-)

I think you're basically right on who the logic-speaking defenders will be. maybe Jonathan Alter and Bill Moyer will chime in, but I generally think the "ballooning deficit" meme will go largely unchallenged.

I only wish this story had been up early enough so that we could have watched Conn celebrate this act embracing fiscal accountability. I'm sure he'll be offering congrats to Obama shortly.

bjkeefe
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Only 80% on McCain??? I hope the remaining 20% isn't due to his well-established "maverick" persona!! ;-)

Heh. More like, to his tendency to want to reburnish his Maverick(tm) image from time to time.

I think you're basically right on who the logic-speaking defenders will be. maybe Jonathan Alter and Bill Moyer will chime in, but I generally think the "ballooning deficit" meme will go largely unchallenged.

Yeah, I'm afraid so.

I only wish this story had been up early enough so that we could have watched Conn celebrate this act embracing fiscal accountability. I'm sure he'll be offering congrats to Obama shortly.

He did give Obama some credit in today's TWiB. I'm sure he'd say something nice about this, too, though I'm less sure he'll be honest about the numbers in perpetuity.