PDA

View Full Version : 2008 in Cinema, Literature

cognitive madisonian
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Any recommendations, lists, gripes etc. with 2008's selection of movies, books (fiction and non fiction), etc.?

Having yet to see Milk, The Wrestler, Gran Torino, and Revolutionary Road, I am nevertheless rating Slumdog Millionaire as my top movie of 08. Doubt is also very good. Frost/Nixon was compelling but also troubling, due to its wanton disregard of the actual facts. The Visitor was my favorite movie from the first half of the year. Well, that and the Dark Knight.

I am one of the few who wasn't wowed by Wall-E. I don't know what it was about it, but I found it to be a solid but unspectacular film.

johnmarzan
01-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Any recommendations, lists, gripes etc. with 2008's selection of movies, books (fiction and non fiction), etc.?

Having yet to see Milk, The Wrestler, Gran Torino, and Revolutionary Road, I am nevertheless rating Slumdog Millionaire as my top movie of 08. Doubt is also very good. Frost/Nixon was compelling but also troubling, due to its wanton disregard of the actual facts. The Visitor was my favorite movie from the first half of the year. Well, that and the Dark Knight.

I am one of the few who wasn't wowed by Wall-E. I don't know what it was about it, but I found it to be a solid but unspectacular film.

Let the Right One In (the best movie of the year, best vampire film in recent years)

Happy Go Lucky (if there's a just world, sally hawkins should win the oscar for best actress)

Funny Games US (an experience one should not miss)

Red Belt (original, fresh martial arts film by david mamet)

In Bruges (dark comedy re hitmen)

Vicky Christina Barcelona (plays like an eric rohmer film)

The Wrestler (overrated, unoriginal)