PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year!

Ocean
12-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I assume you are having fun in this last day of the year!

Itís snowing in New Jersey. A few days ago the temperature was 65įF. Who knows what it will be tomorrow? Perhaps itís climate changeÖ

The problems we face pile up around the world. ďCrisisĒ should be the nick name we give to this ending year. And yet, people say in every crisis there is an opportunity.
I watched a movie with two of my kids yesterday. It was the movie Wall-E. Have you seen it? It looks like, at least in the movie, humanity returns to Earth after centuries of devastation and even hopelessness at times. An innocent, romantic story reminiscent of the 50ís is in the background.

I enjoyed the movie very much. It reminded me about an essential aspect of humanity that has keeps us going in spite of adversity. Itís our capacity to endure when change isnít possible, to keep looking for a solution to our problems even when we donít see it, to reject what is destroying us, and to change when we see the way. But most importantly, it is the bond that unites us that gives us strength to go on. What did you expect? I'm part of that generation...

And a new year will start soon. A new President will be inaugurated in a couple of weeks. And as bad as things look right now, there is hope for a better, more just and compassionate world.

Sometime today I will sit down and will come up with my New Yearís resolutions. Iíll try to be humble and realistic and not make the list too long. Iíll also try to remember to cheer up a bit. And Iíll watch another movie. What else?

I wish you all a Happy New Year!!!

PS: Secret: my first New Year resolution will be to take life a little "lighter", whenever possible.

AemJeff
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Happy New Year Ocean! I saw Wall-E at the theater, and I have the DVD. We loved it. I think the first forty-five minutes or so was about as beautiful an animation sequence as I've ever seen. (And that includes Miyazaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki)'s work.)

It's always good to aspire to lightness.

Ocean
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Happy New Year Ocean! I saw Wall-E at the theater, and I have the DVD. We loved it. I think the first forty-five minutes or so was about as beautiful an animation sequence as I've ever seen. (And that includes Miyazaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki)'s work.)

It's always good to aspire to lightness.

After looking (not reading thoroughly) at Miyazaki's entry in Wikipedia, I can tell you with certainty that I'm far from taking life as "lightly" as you do. And it's not criticism...

uncle ebeneezer
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Ocean, check out the Miyazaki movies. They are totally amazing visually, and have lots of "deeper" messages implied in the stories, usually casting ideas of "environmental" themes. They are some of the best animated movies out there and are much more enlightening than your typical Disney/Pixar flick.

Happy New Years to all-- Uncle Eb

Ocean
12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Ocean, check out the Miyazaki movies. They are totally amazing visually, and have lots of "deeper" messages implied in the stories, usually casting ideas of "environmental" themes. They are some of the best animated movies out there and are much more enlightening than your typical Disney/Pixar flick.

Happy New Years to all-- Uncle Eb

Yes, uncle, thank you. I figured that out already.

Happy New Year to you!!!

uncle ebeneezer
12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
I had stayed away from animated movies for years because I thought they would be too "kid-oriented" (which isn't really my thing.) But Miyazaki's films are more like adult movies (well not "adult" movies;-) that happen to be animated. At times they are actually a little tough for kids. But they are like moving artworks. As an art fan i think you would love the imagery. Check out Spirited Away, that's the best, IMO. Cheers-- Uncle Eb

Ocean
12-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I had stayed away from animated movies for years because I thought they would be too "kid-oriented" (which isn't really my thing.) But Miyazaki's films are more like adult movies (well not "adult" movies;-) that happen to be animated. At times they are actually a little tough for kids. But they are like moving artworks. As an art fan i think you would love the imagery. Check out Spirited Away, that's the best, IMO. Cheers-- Uncle Eb

Thank you for the tip.

nikkibong
12-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Happy new year to all . . .

'08 has ended pretty horribly (my romantic/personal life has imploded along with the Dow Jones), so I'm looking forward to a blank slate, no matter how artificial that might be.

Thanks to BHTV for being a continual bright spot!

A resolution: either get back the woman i love, or learn to live with the loss.

Now, in the immortal words of toby keith: "i'm gonna get drunk and be somebody."

cognitive madisonian
01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Not being wealthy/'well' invested enough to have been substantially hurt by the stock market woes, let alone the Ponzi scheme, 2008 wasn't a bad year for me. Here's wishing everyone a good new year.