PDA

View Full Version : The Bloggingheads Nation

nikkibong
12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
At a family get together last night, celebrating the 'Holiday Season' (take that, pinkerton!); the conversation was scintillating, the wine was flowing like water, the grappa was flowing like . . .well, grappa. Somehow, the topic of Stanford University came up. My younger cousin, who I see maybe once a year (he lives on the other side of the country), casually mentions that Condi is going to go back to Stanford. I concurr. He then says that he has "heard that she's a great teacher." I say, "you must have heard that from Daniel Drezner." Then, the lightbulb went off, and we both realized the obvious: we are both bloggingheads heads!

I'll tell you: what a bizarre experience! It was like meeting a fellow member of an obscure religion (maybe that is what it is) . . .

I had never met another bloggingheads person! What an experience! We whiled away the next hour talking about glenn loury's laugh, ann althouse's hair, and jonah goldberg's idiocy . . .

Anyone had a similar experience?

TwinSwords
12-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll tell you: what a bizarre experience! It was like meeting a fellow member of an obscure religion (maybe that is what it is) . . .
[...]

Ha! I know exactly what you mean. I have a friend who teaches Political Sociology at a nearby university. He lives about 40 miles away, so we don't see each other regularly, but I was in town a couple of months ago and had some time to kill, so I decided to drop in on his class and sit in.

He was showing the students how they could all sign up for "Times People" on the NYT web site so that they could share stories throughout the semester. Many of the students seemed genuinely baffled about how they were supposed to find anything worth reading/recommending on the NYT site, so he decided to give them a tour of some of the places they might go to find interesting political/sociological news.

And while he was poking around on the NYT site, he started promoting the NYT's bloggingheads videos to his students. It kind of blew my mind. Sometimes I feel like only a handful of us have ever heard of this thing.

As it turns out, my friend had never actually been to the BHTV web site; he had only watched the short little clips that are available via the NYT site.

bjkeefe
12-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Not nearly as dramatic, but I've had several occasions where I'm reading through my usual blog feeds, and someone will mention a diavlog. Casually, as though saying, "I saw on TV last night ...," but without ever having mentioned this site before in the months or years that I've been following. It's a little bit of a jolt, and a pleasant one.

TwinSwords
12-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Not nearly as dramatic, but I've had several occasions where I'm reading through my usual blog feeds, and someone will mention a diavlog. Casually, as though saying, "I saw on TV last night ...," but without ever having mentioned this site before in the months or years that I've been following. It's a little bit of a jolt, and a pleasant one.

Have you ever wondered why the lefty blogs have not really embraced BHTV? (Perhaps first I should ask whether you you agree with that characterization.)

It just seems to me that with a few exceptions (e.g., LGM) BHTV is shunned/ignored, studiously, by the lefty blogs.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how Bob and Mickey once foolishly accused Kos of being unethical and basically willing to change his POV for cash. It might also have to do with the fact that many of the lefty bloggers don't like to give any attention at all to people on the right.

AemJeff
12-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Have you ever wondered why the lefty blogs have not really embraced BHTV? (Perhaps first I should ask whether you you agree with that characterization.)

It just seems to me that with a few exceptions (e.g., LGM) BHTV is shunned/ignored, studiously, by the lefty blogs.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how Bob and Mickey once foolishly accused Kos of being unethical and basically willing to change his POV for cash. It might also have to do with the fact that many of the lefty bloggers don't like to give any attention at all to people on the right.

I think BH is shunned by highly ideological blogs, for the most part. Left or Right. Many of the the exceptions seem to be when particular bloggers are also BH participants, and then mostly to promote themselves. As you move away from the cocoons at either extreme, I think the effect is less noticeable.

bjkeefe
12-27-2008, 01:53 PM

I think you're right that there is a lack of (evidence of) embrace, but I haven't thought that there was any political or hurt-feelings explanation.

I certainly don't think it's the case, generally, that lefty bloggers want to pay no attention to anyone from the right. Most of them are inclined to do so, it seems to me, whether because they want to hear different views, or to stay aware of the enemy's activities, or just to find something new to mock.

If I had to guess, I'd say there are probably several reasons why we don't see more discussion of BH.tv on the better-known lefty blogs: lack of time for watching such things, lack of interest, and/or lack of awareness of how much it has to offer. To the latter two, I think some bloggers have an outdated or superficial impression of BH.tv. Some might see it as merely Bob and Mickey playing at recreating a Web version of Crossfire. Others think of it as a place where Ann Althouse goes to melt down. I know I've seen comments to these effects. I've also seen complaints about the format -- low-quality audio or video, or something that's just too much to sit through while sitting at a computer. (I've left comments about the download options in response to these; so far, without receiving gushing thanks.)

Finally, I think (without evidence*) that people watch it but do not blog about it. I mean, I've probably mentioned BH.tv only about half a dozen times on my blog, which means I'm only noting something like one out of fifty diavlogs that I've watched, despite having enjoyed well more than half, and having been actively irritated by another significant fraction. It may be that it's like regular TV -- people watch it for pleasure, entertainment, relaxation, low-impact information, whatever, but don't really talk about it unless someone mentions it in a face-to-face conversation. And it could also be the case that some do what I do -- say what they have to say here in the forums, rather than on their own blogs.

==========
* Well, I do have a smidge: when I've mentioned BH.tv in a Comments section somewhere, it has almost always been the case that people know what I'm talking about.

uncle ebeneezer
12-27-2008, 02:17 PM
To resurrect an old thread that I wrote ages ago...2 words: Blogginheads Convention!!!

In response to this thread: Sortof...my sister went to law school with a guy who is real into politics. When I was in Denver for Thanksgiving I started talking with him about some aspects of constitutional law (which is his area of interest) and I mentioned Jack Balkin and BHTV. He had heard of it and maybe seen it (couldn't remember) but it rang a serious bell. When I got back to LA I sent him an e-mail with a link to the Balkin/Althouse episode (cruel, I know) and he realized that he had seen BHTV before because he is a big fan of Rob Long from Lawyers, Guns & $.

But no, I've never met an actual fan who watched regularly. When i do, I will finally be able to stand tall and proclaim in my best He-Man/Charlton Heston voice "I AM UNCLE EBENEEZER!!!"

I'm actually very surprised that more people I know haven't gotten addicted to BHTV. I know many people who are pretty actively engaged in various sides of the political landscapes, and lots of them are big fans of more substantive discussions of issues (Jim Lehrer, Bill Moyers etc.) I talk-up Bloggingheads to everyone, but so far, nobody seems as excited about it as I am.

Ohh well, their loss. And I'll keep preaching the gospel, (ir)regardless ;-)

It definitely is a small club we belong to.

nikkibong
12-27-2008, 02:27 PM
But no, I've never met an actual fan who watched regularly. When i do, I will finally be able to stand tall and proclaim in my best He-Man/Charlton Heston voice "I AM UNCLE EBENEEZER!!!"

yep, i said in my best politics/science/stoner/academic/nerd voice, "i am nikkibong!"

bjkeefe
12-27-2008, 02:28 PM
... because he is a big fan of Rob Long from Lawyers, Guns & $.

Rob Farley, you mean? (Sorry. My OCD is really flaring up lately.)

LOL! Of course, then everybody will start saying, "No, I am Uncle Ebeneezer."

I'm actually very surprised that more people I know haven't gotten addicted to BHTV.

I think a lot of people have an instinct that says, "I can't bear to watch an hour-long video on my computer." (And they say this even though they sit at their computers for fourteen hours a day.) The thing to point out to those to whom you're proselytizing is the download option.

We'll get 'em hooked yet.

uncle ebeneezer
12-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Good discussion guys.

I would say that there are a couple things that spring to mind. Alot of people have a I-just-sat-a-computer-all-day attitude towards watching content on their home computer (rather than tv.) Some people just flat-out can't sit through an hour of focussed discussions (blogs tend to atrract these types of people.) Everyone who has a blog is struggling to find their own $ in the challenging environment of net-entertainment, so perhaps people are hesitant to promote other sites too much when ultimately their goal is to promote their own. (of course the nature of the inter-webs confusesthis outlook because, networking is a huge part of promoting your own site. This is a topic i would love to see Jay Rosen do a diavlog on, maybe with Bob. A discussion of Bloggingheads...without giving away too many trade secrets;-)

I will say that many of the participants: Ezra, MY, TNC, Mark Shmitt etc., have been very consistent in pointing their readers to BHTV, even for segments that don't involve themselves. And as Brendan pointed out, that 2008 Media List ranked one episode as an "honorable mention" for the year's media moments, so somebody is watching.

uncle ebeneezer
12-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice. Did they get the reference?

uncle ebeneezer
12-27-2008, 02:32 PM
No worries on your OCD. That's what a good editor is for!

I think high levels of Holiday sweets and intoxicants have dulled my brain a bit, anyways.