PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi

uncle ebeneezer
12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, don't know how many of you saw this:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/2008/12/05/the-search-for-the-great-science-fiction-movie-or-i-am-doooomed/

While I disagree with Carl on "Gattaca" (I thought the plot was great) I thought it might be fun to talk about our favorite sci-fi movies (and why.)

Most of mine have little or nothing to do with accurate depictions of science, but by all means if yours do, be sure to point it out.

My list:

Alien (scariest sci-fi flick ever)

Dark City (loved the look and feel and the Matrix-y philosophical questions raised)

Terminator- though it looks really dated now, this movie was amazing when you're twelve.

Empire Strikes Back- Hoth, cloud cities, jedi training, family drama, this one had it all!

Minority Report- great 1984-esque questions raised.

Tron- so bad it was awesome.

bjkeefe
12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that link, uncle eb, and a good topic, too. Let's see ...

I'll second your vote for Alien, but the real reason I liked it is a statement I can still make today: Until it turned into a monster movie, I thought it was the most accurate SF movie ever, in terms of portraying people as just (non-heroic) people, warts and all. I loved the grousing, the bickering, and the shortcomings. Yeah, it was creepy in a good way, too, especially when the cyborg was revealed to be a cyborg.

Others (caveat: some are based on fond memories from long ago):

2001 -- still magnificent. Got a chance to see it again relatively recently, when it was re-released, at The Dome in L.A. Awesome.

Contact was good, although I was probably biased because the book was so great and because I'm such a Jodi Foster fanboy.

Galaxy Quest -- in some senses, the best. This is on my short list of favorite movies without qualification.

A Clockwork Orange

The Andromaeda Strain

T2 -- pure entertainment. Others in this spirit: I second Terminator, though I liked T2 even better. Also: Star Trek I and IV, Close Encounters, the first five Planet of the Apes movies (the remake was excruciatingly bad), Sleeper, Total Recall, Men In Black, The Fifth Element, The Matrix

Happy but increasingly vague memories: Blade Runner, Robocop, Pitch Black, Soylent Green, 28 Days Later

Having only recently learned about (and watched -- thanks, Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/)!) the Firefly television series, I expect I'll add Serenity as soon as I get a chance to see it.

My top pick for so-bad-it's-good has to be Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Need help remembering (as I did)? These lists (http://www.google.com/search?q=best+science+fiction+movies+of+all+time) might help.

uncle ebeneezer
12-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Nice!

I loved both Alien movies and think that the parasite coming out of John Hurt's chest may be the greatest scene in Sci-Fi history.

I loved Contact too, but thought the book was better.

Still never seen 2001. Maybe I will rent it tonight and enjoy it with the state of CA's legalized, um...medicine.

I was pleasantly surprised by Glaxy Quest (and Spaceballs too), and 28 Days Later.

T2 definitely was better than T1, but at the time the combination of this larger than life dude (Arnold) as a killer who just won't stop, was pretty awesome. As much as I loved Total Recall, Predator etc., T1 was the only movie where my Governor was actually creepy (except nowadays when he does the occasionally obligatory GOP ass kiss;)

How could I forget Close Encounters?!!! It was just on AMC the other night and I still think that movie is Spielbergh's "coolest" flick (along with Jaws.) Did you ever see Taken, the miniseries he produced on Sc-Fi Channel. It's pretty good. It has the hokey side that has unfortunately become a staple of his work, but all in all it is pretty amazing. I highly reccomend it.

Did you ever see Dark City? That is the most overlooked sci-fi movie of all-time in my opinion. If you never saw it, go rent it asap. Keifer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, dark atmosphere (ala the Crow), great plot. And surprisingly good effects.

I don't think I ever actually saw Planet 9, but i would nominate the ReAnimator in a similiar light.

Another great one (not sure if it's sci-fi) is Altered States. Cheers, I think I need to go hit up Blockbuster!

bjkeefe
12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Nice!

I loved both Alien movies and think that the parasite coming out of John Hurt's chest may be the greatest scene in Sci-Fi history.

Yeah, especially at the time. When Ripley knocked the head of the cyborg (before we knew it was a cyborg), that was teh awesome, too.

I loved Contact too, but thought the book was better.

Yes. Much. But Jodie Foster, and to a lesser degree, Matthew McConaughey and John Hurt, did such great jobs with their characters that it helped. Kind of like Jodie and Anthony Hopkins did in Silence of the Lambs -- book better than the movie, but their work added something separate.

Still never seen 2001. Maybe I will rent it tonight and enjoy it with the state of CA's legalized, um...medicine.

I am so ready to move back there and feign glaucoma.

One key to maximum enjoyment of this movie, imbibing aside, is to turn it up loud. So many subtle things there in the soundtrack, and you definitely want the full resonance from HAL's voice. Also, plan on being uninterrupted. Keep a piss bottle by your side, if necessary.

I was pleasantly surprised by Glaxy Quest (and Spaceballs too), and 28 Days Later.

I was blown away by how much I enjoyed GQ. I forget what got me to watch it, because I had a thing against Tim Allen at the time, but he was perfect for that role. The whole thing was the perfect balance between mocking and saluting fan geeks, I thought. Sam Rockwell was outstanding. I could watch that movie once a week for the rest of my life.

Bonus for me: shortly after I saw it for the first time, I heard Patrick Stewart interviewed on Fresh Air and he totally identified with the Dr. Lazarus character -- Shakespearean actor playing a hokey TV sci-fi role for the $$. He said that the guy who played Worf made him go see it just for that scene where Lazarus refuses to say "that stupid line one more time."

Second bonus: It took me forever to figure out who the Mac was on those "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" commercials, but when the penny finally dropped, that was a brain rush.

28 was a lark that I watched on Hulu and was pleasantly surprised by. Good characters, and I'm a sucker for anything post-apocalyptic.

Never saw Spaceballs.

T2 definitely was better than T1, but at the time the combination of this larger than life dude (Arnold) as a killer who just won't stop, was pretty awesome. As much as I loved Total Recall, Predator etc., T1 was the only movie where my Governor was actually creepy (except nowadays when he does the occasionally obligatory GOP ass kiss;)

Yeah, T1 was another one of those movies where if you saw it before you knew about it, you probably went on a lark. I know I did -- thought it would be a goof to see Ahnold playing a robot ("finally, a role he's up to!"). That was before I got to like his admittedly limited range on screen, and once I did, that's probably one of the reasons why I liked T2 better -- because he got to be a good guy.

BTW, I went to see Pulp Fiction the day it was released for similar reasons -- because I could not imagine John Travolta as a gangster. Now it's only like my favorite movie ever.

How could I forget Close Encounters?!!! It was just on AMC the other night and I still think that movie is Spielbergh's "coolest" flick (along with Jaws.)

I just watched it a few weeks ago on Hulu. Not quite as good as I remembered it, but still good. Dreyfuss rocks, as he did in Jaws.

Did you ever see Taken, the miniseries he produced on Sc-Fi Channel. It's pretty good. It has the hokey side that has unfortunately become a staple of his work, but all in all it is pretty amazing. I highly reccomend it.

Did you ever see Dark City? That is the most overlooked sci-fi movie of all-time in my opinion. If you never saw it, go rent it asap. Keifer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, dark atmosphere (ala the Crow), great plot. And surprisingly good effects.

[...]

Another great one (not sure if it's sci-fi) is Altered States. Cheers, I think I need to go hit up Blockbuster!

Never saw, or even know anything about, any of these three. Thanks for the recs.

BTW, I dispute that Speilberg is always hokey (e.g. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120815/), e.g. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/), e.g. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/)), but I guess if you restrict what you meant to his SF movies, I could go along with it. But was AI hokey? I mostly remember that one as boring.

[Added] Did you ever see Sunshine? I never have, but Don McArthur, a blog buddy of mine who seems to have a lot of tastes similar to mine, raves about it (http://www.donmcarthur.com/archive.php?item=2135). (And that link reminds me of another on my to-see list: Primer. Ever see that?

uncle ebeneezer
12-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Did you ever see the documentary Trekkies? If you thought GQ was great, you'd love that (especially as a ST fan.) Completely bizarre and utterly hillarious. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Yes, Spielbergh is always pretty hokey (I'm struggling to forget AI...yawn)!!!

Taken was awesome but it's 6, 90 minute episodes so it's pretty time consuming. The cool part, is that it covers a timespan from the 40's to the current day. Parts of it are pretty cheesy, but alot of it was excellent.

Rent Dark City! You won't regret it. It's the only thing that will cure your "glaucoma."

PS "sleep issues" are all you need in CA, to acquire the "holy card."

bjkeefe
12-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Did you ever see the documentary Trekkies? If you thought GQ was great, you'd love that (especially as a ST fan.) Completely bizarre and utterly hillarious. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Haven't. Strikes me as one of those things where I'm not sure I could handle the truth. I was never that bad as a fan (for instance, I never insisted on being called a Trekker, as opposed to a Trekkie), but I have a sympathy for such sad sacks. Maybe someday.

Aw, man, that's it. I'm moving.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Great topic. There are so many awesome sci fi movies to choose from.

I'll have to concur with 2001, Terminator, and T2. Total Recall. Great movie! Close Encounters: Definitely a trip! That was really cool how various people were drawn to the site where the encounter happened.

Despite all the fuss, I never really got the whole Matrix sensation.

The first movie that came to mind when I saw your thread, which must mean it's my mostest favoritest, is Star Trek: First Contact. Great because it combines the Next Generation crew with the awesomeist villains in all of science fiction: the Borg. Great space combat scenes. (Sample! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fsCGSoo2k4)) Bonus: Drunk Vulcans.

Alien is obviously a classic. Who was it that said Aliens was more realistic than 2001 because the ships were actually dirty? (Whereas the ships in 2001 were always spotlessly clean.) Brendan alluded to it: the gritty realism is what made this movie work. Interesting to note that one of the all time great space movies inspired one of the all time great computer games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft): Starcraft. Starcraft was also inspired by the novel Starship Troopers. And after Starcraft was made, Starship Troopers was turned into a great movie.

Star Wars (1977): The original Star Wars. I still vividly recall not just seeing this movie in the theater, but talking about going, getting in the car, driving across town to the mall, walking into the mall, seeing "Star Wars" on the marquee as we approached the theater, etc. etc. etc. We thought the movie was sensational before we even saw it. Then once the film started rolling, everything about it was just mind-blowing: the scrolling opening text, Tie Fighters, the giant snake in the trash compactor, the laser pistols. Princess Leia. The Millennium Falcon (aka "bucket of bolts, rofl.") Han Solo's insecurity about his ship, and what it might say about his manhood, was hilariously reminiscent of every teenage burnout's relationship to his old, bondoed Mustang or Firebird.

"Sensational before we even saw it" also describes:

Back to the Future
E.T.

I think you might have to have been a certain age to appreciate E.T. If I had been much older when I saw it, I probably would have thought it was cheesy.

Gattaca. For sure.

In the so-bad-it's-good category: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, featuring the urbane and worldly Mr. Roarke (http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060713/133310__tattoo_l.jpg).

Maybe the best of all time?

Brazil: An amazing and profound film. With a truly awesome soundtrack. A masterpiece of cinematography, with some of the most amazing scenes ever captured on celluloid. Great acting, and great choreography. But Brazil is far more than inspired film making; it's inspired story-telling. The modern heir to Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World. One of the coolest scenes was set to the energetic ditty Central Services / The Office. Note: I can't find the scene on YouTube, but you can hear most of the audio (1:20 of the 1:39) at this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN4pPnFPcWk). Warning: Incongruous use of LOLcats.

Listen for the tempo-setting typewriter keys. This is "the office" after all. :-)

Endorsement of the month:

I was blown away by how much I enjoyed GQ. I forget what got me to watch it, because I had a thing against Tim Allen at the time, but he was perfect for that role. The whole thing was the perfect balance between mocking and saluting fan geeks, I thought. Sam Rockwell was outstanding. I could watch that movie once a week for the rest of my life.

I never watched this before, but I have to after reading this description! :-)

Wow, that's amazing. I'm a Weeds (http://www.sho.com/site/weeds/home.do)-Watcher, but I had no idea it was actually true. It's funny the contrived way we go about legalizing it, pretending it's medicine, and pretending we're sick to get it. I mean, really. I guess it's like people who go to a "massage therapist" for help with their "stiff muscles."

uncle ebeneezer
12-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, regarding legalized cannabis, i will say that I actually DO have significant sleep issues. I did Lunesta and countless homeopathic stuff (Kava Kava, Melatonin, etc.) but nothing ever worked as well and with so little side-effects as THC. So now I pay my $175/year for the card and I can go to the dispensary for brownies. When I'm super-wired and need to get some sleep I eat half a brownie, chill out and sleep great.

Funny you mention massage therapy. I just yesterday went for the first professional massage in my life (the place I went seemed totally on the up and up, not some shady prostitution front.) It was great. It actually involved quite a bit of pain, but I feel great today. Now I see why so many people I know who play sports, get massages relatively regularly.

bjkeefe
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I guess I'll have to add Brazil to my to-be-seen list. It appears to be on most people's "best" lists.

I never got into Star Wars. When it came out, I was enough of a Trekkie-snob to sniff at it, and when it became huge, I refused to buy into what everybody else liked. I saw a couple of the first ones, and liked them okay, but never thought they were particularly special. Nowadays, I am unable to think of Star Wars without thinking of Jar-Jar Binks, so that entire franchise is permanently dead to me.

I agree that BttF was entertaining. I think I liked ET, but it's been so long I can't remember anything about it.

I'm surprised that everyone seems to like Gattaca. I saw that when it came out and it did nothing for me. Maybe I was in a bad mood that day and should watch it again.

By the Sons of Warvan, you shall watch Galaxy Quest.

uncle ebeneezer
12-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I think there was a Star Wars/Star Trek dichotomy and most people picked a side. I was so young that I couldn't probably appreciate Trek, so I fell into the Star Wars camp. Star Wars is literally, the first movie I remember.

Nowadays, I am unable to think of Star Wars without thinking of Jar-Jar Binks,

All I can say is, I feel your pain.

I remember that ET came out right around the same time as Poltergeist. I saw Poltergeist and loved it, then I saw ET and thought it was pretty lame by comparison.

Did you guys watch the series "V" back in the 80's?

bjkeefe
12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I remember that ET came out right around the same time as Poltergeist. I saw Poltergeist and loved it, then I saw ET and thought it was pretty lame by comparison.

That'd probably do it. I saw them in the opposite order, so I didn't have that problem. Poltergeist was pretty good, as I remember it.

I did not. Was that something to do with aliens secretly among us?

nikkibong
12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I did not. Was that something to do with aliens secretly among us?

i'm pretty sure that's what mickey kaus' blog is about.

bjkeefe
12-06-2008, 06:29 PM
i'm pretty sure that's what mickey kaus' blog is about.

Nice.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, regarding legalized cannabis, i will say that I actually DO have significant sleep issues. I did Lunesta and countless homeopathic stuff (Kava Kava, Melatonin, etc.) but nothing ever worked as well and with so little side-effects as THC. So now I pay my $175/year for the card and I can go to the dispensary for brownies. When I'm super-wired and need to get some sleep I eat half a brownie, chill out and sleep great.
Gotcha. I thought it sounded too good to be true. As it happens, we just passed medical marijuana laws in Michigan. Should be interesting to see how it is handled here.

Funny you mention massage therapy. I just yesterday went for the first professional massage in my life (the place I went seemed totally on the up and up, not some shady prostitution front.) It was great. It actually involved quite a bit of pain, but I feel great today. Now I see why so many people I know who play sports, get massages relatively regularly.
Oh, absolutely. And people who don't play sports, too. For a few years I actually dated a a massage therapist. She was a really cool person -- very new agey and spiritual, kind of the yin to my yang, but we got along great. And her business was totally on the up-and-up. A large portion of her clients were elderly people who needed massage for therapuetic reasons, and she also volunteered with local hospice to provide some degree of comfort and relief to the dying. I didn't mean to denigrate the profession or imply it was merely a front for prostitution.

But I did know a couple guys in my high school way back when who did make regular use of massage parlors they found in the yellow pages that were, in fact, fronts for prostitution. So, both are true.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I guess I'll have to add Brazil to my to-be-seen list. It appears to be on most people's "best" lists.
I think you'd like it. But I've known people who hated it, too. I'd bet if you picked 100 people at random off the street and made them watch it, most would be confused by it. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but suffice it to say that the plot can be, at times, um .... a bit incoherent. But it is so for a reason. (And, it's not totally incoherent (like me).)

I never got into Star Wars. When it came out, I was enough of a Trekkie-snob to sniff at it, and when it became huge, I refused to buy into what everybody else liked.
That's very interesting. I think I must be just a few years younger than you. When I saw it, I was either unaware of Star Trek, or only dimly aware of it, and I made no connection between it and Star Wars. I know what you mean, though, because by the time I was a few years older, I was starting to think in those terms. As it happens, I've always thought the first Star Trek series was pretty lame. I became a huge Trek fan with The Next Generation, which (IMO) was brilliant on many levels. I had a ton of friends at the time who were all into it, too, so maybe there's a peer effect at work.

I saw a couple of the first ones, and liked them okay, but never thought they were particularly special. Nowadays, I am unable to think of Star Wars without thinking of Jar-Jar Binks, so that entire franchise is permanently dead to me.
ROFL. I know what you mean: Jar-Jar Binks was an unmitigated catastrophe.

I'm about the same way when it comes to the rest of the series, too. I thought the first Star Wars movie was outstanding, but the others were just so-so until the last one. If there is any inkling of lingering interest on your part, I would encourage you to see the final in the series. It really is a great movie.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I think there was a Star Wars/Star Trek dichotomy and most people picked a side.
Among my friends, I think everybody likes both series. With my friends, the arguments start when you get into the other sci-fi series, like BSG and Stargate SG-1 ...

I was so young that I couldn't probably appreciate Trek, so I fell into the Star Wars camp. Star Wars is literally, the first movie I remember.
That's interesting. It's one of the first movies I saw in the theater. The only two I remember before that were some Disney movie with the headless horseman, and 2001, which I saw when I was about 7 years old. (Not as part of its original run, however; this was a few years after it was first released.)

Never did. Is it any good?

bjkeefe
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
As it happens, I've always thought the first Star Trek series was pretty lame. I became a huge Trek fan with The Next Generation, which (IMO) was brilliant on many levels. I had a ton of friends at the time who were all into it, too, so maybe there's a peer effect at work.

Could be. Could also be that if you were late to TOS, and knew nothing about either series and gave them both a first look at about the same time, TOS wouldn't fare well compared to TNG. It's a lot cheesier in effects and overall look, and Patrick Stewart is a lot more impressive than William Shatner.

When I was into TOS, it was the only thing of its kind. People actually compared it to "Lost in Space." Plus, it was really pushing the envelope in its philosophy -- multi-ethnic crew, especially including Spock, highly tolerant attitude in "foreign" locales, and like that.

I am not so determined not to see another Star Wars movie that I'd shut my eyes and plug my ears if one started playing in front of me. It's just that with everything else that's out there, I can't imagine making any effort to see one. But I'll bear your recommendation in mind.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Could be. Could also be that if you were late to TOS, and knew nothing about either series and gave them both a first look at about the same time, TOS wouldn't fare well compared to TNG. It's a lot cheesier in effects and overall look, and Patrick Stewart is a lot more impressive than William Shatner.
True. I did watch a fair amount of TOS on television (re-runs) when I was really young. Like, 7, 8, 9 years of age. I really enjoyed them at the time, but due to my youth, I was oblivious to the importance of the larger themes (diversity, peaceful co-existence, prime directive, etc.) that made the series great.

After that, a couple of decades passed before I thought much about Star Trek. It was when TNG was launched that I really became aware of the themes. Fortunately, TNG is quite faithful to the high-minded spirit of the original, and it really does raise the series substantially above the simpler, mostly-themeless Star Wars movies.

What did you think of TNG?

bjkeefe
12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
True. I did watch a fair amount of TOS on television (re-runs) when I was really young. Like, 7, 8, 9 years of age. I really enjoyed them at the time, but due to my youth, I was oblivious to the importance of the larger themes (diversity, peaceful co-existence, prime directive, etc.) that made the series great.

That's how I got into it, too -- reruns. It showed at 6p every night for years on one of the local stations. I guess I was just old enough to appreciate the bigger themes, mostly after being prompted to look for them by books about the show.

What did you think of TNG?

I never got into it. I doubt if I ever saw three entire episodes. It wasn't anything against them -- by the time it launched I had already pretty much given up on TV.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 11:24 PM
That's how I got into it, too -- reruns. It showed at 6p every night for years on one of the local stations.
LOL, I remember that. We had dinner at 6:30 in my family, and there were more than a few occasions when my mother hand to drag me kicking and screaming to the table, forcing me to miss the very important 2nd half! :-D

I never got into it. I doubt if I ever saw three entire episodes. It wasn't anything against them -- by the time it launched I had already pretty much given up on TV.

Holy cow! That's a whole untapped reserve of great television that you could dive into at any time. Lucky you. I know you'll probably never watch it, but just on the off chance you do decide to give it a shot: the first season or two are relatively low-budget and semi-cheesy. By the 3rd season, the sets and effects and stories were much better. The 5th, 6th and 7th season were just amazingly well done. Each episode was like being at the movies.

For the record, I share your disdain for television. I don't watch any television other than the occasionally series on DVD. (Though, I do often have cable news on in the background.) So I know where you're coming from. And yet still I would totally encourage you to watch TNG.

I'd say skip the first three seasons, but then you would miss the introductions of Q (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Star_Trek)) and Guinan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinan#Guinan), and that would just blow.

What we all need are a couple of clones. One to go to work, one to stay home enjoying the arts, and a 3rd for world travel. :-) Being immortal would also help.

bjkeefe
12-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Maybe someday (on TNG). I want to give BSG a chance at some point, too. And then there's about 9000 other series (mostly not SF) that I'd like to see someday. The thought that sooner or later, they'll all be available on DVD removes some of the urgency, which means I'll probably end up watching none of them. ;^)

Have you watched any of the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles? They talk about this on PSF Radio sometimes. You can watch it online, either at Fox or on Hulu. I don't think it's as great as Steve and Bill seem to think it is, but it's okay. The actors/characters are better than the scripts, IMNSHO.

I still remember when they were talking about Firefly, whereupon I found the whole series on Hulu. I was amazed at how good it was, and how I had never even heard of it.

TwinSwords
12-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Maybe someday (on TNG). I want to give BSG a chance at some point, too. And then there's about 9000 other series (mostly not SF) that I'd like to see someday. The thought that sooner or later, they'll all be available on DVD removes some of the urgency, which means I'll probably end up watching none of them. ;^)

ROFL! :-D

BSG is really a lot of fun. I am stalled, right now, having only watched season 1, but need to get back into it. They had a really good deal on Amazon a while ago: The entire series (to date) for some ridiculously low price like $50.

One other recommendation, as if you want/need my recommendation: If you are ever going to get back into this stuff, wait until you can get a good HDTV. 52" or bigger. And get a good surround system. Nowadays, watching television and movies at home is better than going to a theater.

Have you watched any of the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles? They talk about this on PSF Radio sometimes. You can watch it online, either at Fox or on Hulu. I don't think it's as great as Steve and Bill seem to think it is, but it's okay. The actors/characters are better than the scripts, IMNSHO.
Interesting, I'll have to check that out. I've heard Bill and Steve talk about it, but haven't watched it. I should.

I still remember when they were talking about Firefly, whereupon I found the whole series on Hulu. I was amazed at how good it was, and how I had never even heard of it.
Really? You mentioned that a while back. I should check it out. Too. Along with the other 9000 things.

TwinSwords
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
For those poor souls who have never watched Star Trek: The Next Generation, the best television series ever, you can watch seasons 1 and 2 in widescreen format, here:

http://joox.net/cat/1401

Note: If you have not already, you will have to install DivX. The site will (probably) prompt you to install it. If you're not comfortable installing from Joox.net, you can go straight to http://www.divx.com/ and install it from there. It's actually a very good codec and the software from http://www.divx.com/ has some nice features.

The first episode season 1 marks the first appearance of the character Q.

And one caveat: Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG were good, but the show got better with each passing season. So don't judge the whole series by these early episodes.

bjkeefe
12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
[...]

Thanks. Just took a quick look -- Season 1 has missing episodes. WTF????

;^)

It also says I don't have Java, which I do, so I'm not going to wrestle with it right now. Too many blogs to read.

TwinSwords
12-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks. Just took a quick look -- Season 1 has missing episodes. WTF????

Heh, I just noticed that, too. Like, the first couple of episodes! Annoying.

That's why I stopped watching BSG: a gap in their list of files. I don't want to go on without seeing them all in the proper order. So that means I'll have to buy the DVDs. (I'm not into the whole piracy thing.)

It also says I don't have Java, which I do, so I'm not going to wrestle with it right now. Too many blogs to read.

Makes sense. :-)

uncle ebeneezer
12-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Well, $175 is a pretty fair fee, IMO for having rough amnesty for potential legal hassles otherwise.

For a few years I actually dated a a massage therapist.

The girl who gave me my massage was pretty damn cute and flirty, so I'm workin' on it.

cognitive madisonian
01-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree with you about Minority Report and Dark City, both great movies. I've seen Minority Report 4 or 5 times. Dark City I've only seen twice. Well, I also watched a bit of it with Ebert commentary (Ebert's one of the few people who provides commentary worth having).

I'm actually more fond of Aliens than Alien. I like both, but I think Aliens achieves a superior level of tension, even though the cat is out of the bag...or the alien is out of the chest???

Terminator is a good film, too, though I'm not quite as big on it as you are. Perhaps because of the sequels. I actually enjoy the second season of the show, though, even though it's doomed to be cancelled.

My contribution (first mentioned by bjkeefe):
Serenity, a movie I watch every few months. Whedon's storytelling is fabulous, worthy of academic study. The acting is great, the blending of genres is great. Everything, great. I simply love it.

Gattaca is very good, not quite great. I found it to be very poignent.

One I have yet to see is Metropolis.