PDA

View Full Version : Underperforming BHTV segments

johnmarzan
12-02-2008, 05:58 AM
UN Plaza and Science Saturday needs to go. I don't care about the UN or science. they're just "filler" bhtv episodes for the weekends.

i'm sorry if i offended the hosts of the shows. nothing personal.

Abu Noor Al-Irlandee
12-02-2008, 12:00 PM
johnmarzan,

I don't think there's any rule that one has to watch every single diavlog...I used to act as if I thought so...but now if I'm really not interested or if I'm not enjoying a particular diavlog I just stop watching. It doesn't mean I would benefit from not having that diavlog on....of course perhaps some alternative diavlog would be better, but you have to leave room for different tastes.

For example, I also infrequently watch Science Saturday (although sometimes when I do watch I'm able to maintain interest) but I think UN Plaza is one of the best and most important things that BH TV does, due principally to two factors: it covers issues that are hugely important but get little coverage in the MSM or even the mainstream blogosophere (is there an acronym for that by now) and of course, the always awesome Matthew Lee.

UN Plaza and Science Saturday needs to go. I don't care about the UN or science. they're just "filler" bhtv episodes for the weekends.

AemJeff
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Wow, I go away for a little while and when I come back people are asking to kill off some of the best parts what the the site has to offer. I think you underestimate the appeal of both Sci-Sat and UN Plaza. Sci-Sat has been the source of some of the most compelling diavlogs ever offered here and has, I believe, a pretty strong fan base. And Matt Lee in particular (not to denigrate other UN Plaza participants) is an incredible resource whose insight we're privileged to glimpse.

bjkeefe
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
UN Plaza and Science Saturday needs to go.

I could not disagree more.

nikkibong
12-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Count me as another Science Saturday devotee. Consistently some of the most compelling material bh.tv has to offer.

I rarely watch UN plaza, but I must come out in defense of the Matt Lee fade-in. bh.tv special effects at their finest!

example: http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/16162?in=00:00&out=00:01

nikkibong
12-02-2008, 04:33 PM
As you don't care about science I would say there is a fair bet you are religious ?

let's see . . . you live in england . . .you make outrageously slanderous statements about religious people . . . hmmm

Richard Dawkins! welcome to the forum!

TwinSwords
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM

Yeah, I would have to agree with the others; both shows are extremely enjoyable. To me, at least.

However it's all moot. If anyone thinks Bob is going to cancel a show because of comments in the forum, they have a lot to learn. Bob will keep or cancel shows based on ratings, and (almost) nothing else. If a restaurant sold 1000 grilled cheese sandwiches a day, I can assure you they would not take it off the menu because a few people complained. As others have said: there's a lot on the menu. You're not expected to watch anything you don't enjoy.

johnmarzan
12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
johnmarzan,

I don't think there's any rule that one has to watch every single diavlog...I used to act as if I thought so...but now if I'm really not interested or if I'm not enjoying a particular diavlog I just stop watching. It doesn't mean I would benefit from not having that diavlog on....of course perhaps some alternative diavlog would be better, but you have to leave room for different tastes.

For example, I also infrequently watch Science Saturday (although sometimes when I do watch I'm able to maintain interest) but I think UN Plaza is one of the best and most important things that BH TV does, due principally to two factors: it covers issues that are hugely important but get little coverage in the MSM or even the mainstream blogosophere (is there an acronym for that by now) and of course, the always awesome Matthew Lee.

the only reason the UN gets a weekly show on bhtv is because bob's a big booster of that organization.

I tried UN Plaza only once and didn't like it. Never bothered with Science Saturday.

As you don't care about science I would say there is a fair bet you are religious ?

f- you john horgan. :p

If anyone thinks Bob is going to cancel a show because of comments in the forum, they have a lot to learn. Bob will keep or cancel shows based on ratings, and (almost) nothing else.

and what are the ratings of science saturday and UN plaza? higher than your average diavlog?

bjkeefe
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
I tried UN Plaza only once and didn't like it. Never bothered with Science Saturday.

Now that's informed commentary we can believe in!

Baltimoron
12-03-2008, 12:49 AM
what are the ratings of science saturday and UN plaza? higher than your average diavlog?

How would any of us know? It's not as if there's a way to vote for segments, or provide concise feedback without wading through a thicket of comments.

Baltimoron
12-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Be careful trying to change things on bhTV. It's OK if Bob Wright (or gawd knows who???) would do such things, but putting a button or a widget on a page is, gosh darn, too difficult and it would be democratic!

Oh wait...All hail, Bob!

Flaw
12-03-2008, 12:56 PM
UN Plaza Rocks, it is perhaps my favorite segment.

Science Saturday is also really good when it is on track. I don't care much for the excess in small talk the segments often have. I could give a flying f... if your house was broken into, please just explain string theory (or any science topic) to me.

TwinSwords
12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I could give a flying f... if your house was broken into, please just explain string theory (or any science topic) to me.

Jesus ... you sound like a jerk.

I think most of us probably like the chit-chat. I do. It's possibly the more enjoyable part of John/George diavlogs.

The personal banter is what puts the "blogging" in bloggingheads. Blogs are known to be on a kind of line between personal journal and serious discussion. Bloggingheads is no different -- by design, I think.

uncle ebeneezer
12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I care MUCH more about the safety of George's house than I do about string theory. At least there's some empirical evidence behind George's theft story ;-)

I love all the featured segments: Free Will, UN, Sci Sat. They are what really makes this site special. Otherwise it would be all politics, all the time...something that I don't think is interesting or healthy.

TwinSwords
12-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I care MUCH more about the safety of George's house than I do about string theory.
LOL, as funny as that sounds, I have to agree!

At least there's some empirical evidence behind George's theft story
http://www.thecentralword.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

I love all the featured segments: Free Will, UN, Sci Sat. They are what really makes this site special. Otherwise it would be all politics, all the time...something that I don't think is interesting or healthy.
Agreed. Oh, well. AT least John Marzan gave us a chance to express our enjoyment of SciSat and UN Dispatch. :-)

Flaw
12-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Blogs are known to be on a kind of line between personal journal and serious discussion. Bloggingheads is no different -- by design, I think.

I think most people come to bloggingheads to hear professionals talk about or debate a subject, not to listen to a personal journal.

There are personal blogs but I don't subscribe to any. I don't have time to read that garbage, myspace's popularity has never been something I have understood.

I used to read Megan McArdle, I like her ideas. I had to stop though when the number of guest, vegan recipes, and iPhone posts got excessive. The recipes were nice enough but I signed up to read her ideas on policy. If I had wanted recipes or iPhone information I would subscribe to a blog on that subject.

FOR ME, a blog is a way of filtering information. A way of getting the most information with the least time investment.

Examples:
economist - free exchange
naked capitalism
Reuters top news
gothamist
slashdot
Will Wilkinson

Perhaps this is why I rate Un Plaza so highly when others don't.

uncle ebeneezer
12-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Actually, I think BHTV is pretty good at keeping the personal stuff to a minimum. MegCardle and Althouse aside, most of the B-heads don't spend too much time on annecdotes from their personal lives. And usually when they do, it's to illustrate a point on a slight tangent from the topic of discussion. Personally, I like this aspect. I think, in addition to offering a window into WHY these people think the way they do, it also helps to relieve a bit of pressure so that we don't get into Crossfire territory. The more conversational banter between Rosa Brooks and Jonah Goldberg is a great example of where I think this kinda thing helps prevent a situation that could really end up heated/nasty, given the strong viewpoints of bothe participants.

I also find the personal stuff helpfull in reminding me that people who I completely disagree with, may not be the completely evil stereotype that my brain might try to envision them as. Even though it may be irrational, I find it easier to cut Eli Lake slack on some of his more ridiculous foregin policy views, knowing that he loves vinyl records.

I also like seeing some windows into how wonky people live outside of policy discussions. It's interesting to me how the world of Heather Hurlburt: policy wonk extraordinaire, coincides with Heather Hurlburt: soccer mom.

Another reason I like more annecdotal conversation from time-to-time is because of the format. An hour is alot of time to kill for two people on only a handful of topics. 100% focus on topics-only, would seem to be a bit exhausting for me (and probably the participants too.) I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional meandering into less-important topics, helps the BHeads to more easily get through an hour of oftentimes intense discussion.

If BHTV ever became an endless litany of personal annecdotes, it would lose alot of it's appeal, but for now I think the mix is pretty solid.

TwinSwords
12-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I think most people come to bloggingheads to hear professionals talk about or debate a subject, not to listen to a personal journal.
Yeah, no doubt. A personal journal would suck.

There are personal blogs but I don't subscribe to any.
Neither do I. Can't stand them.

I don't have time to read that garbage, myspace's popularity has never been something I have understood.
Myspace indeed.

used to read Megan McArdle, I like her ideas. I had to stop though when the number of guest, vegan recipes, and iPhone posts got excessive. The recipes were nice enough but I signed up to read her ideas on policy.
Heh. I've never read McMegan. Her ideas on policy are boring.

If I had wanted recipes or iPhone information I would subscribe to a blog on that subject.
LOL.

FOR ME, a blog is a way of filtering information. A way of getting the most information with the least time investment.

Examples:
economist - free exchange
naked capitalism
Reuters top news
gothamist
slashdot
Will Wilkinson

Perhaps this is why I rate Un Plaza so highly when others don't.

That's all well and good. And I'm glad you were able to get all of that off your chest.

But the facts are generally impervious to opinion, and the fact is that blogs —some to a greater extent than others — are known to be on a kind of line between personal journal and serious discussion. And Bloggingheads is no different. By design.

The "personal banter" that creates rage in a minority is, nevertheless, what puts the "blogging" in bloggingheads.

cognitive madisonian
01-01-2009, 04:58 PM

I seldom listen to the science diavlogs, but that's because they are, for the most part, very far removed from my areas of interest. I'm quite sure that for those who are geared toward that sort of thing, they are compelling.

Conversely, UN Plaza is of interest to me, since it covers an area of interest. I'd love to have more content from people on the ground around hot spots. But I'm probably in a minority there.

The thing that thoroughly disinterests me most is the diavlogues between two like-minded political bloggers. Particularly when they're on the Left ;) My favorite political segments are the ones with Ramesh Ponnuru, so long as he isn't paired with a particularly forceful liberal.

bjkeefe
01-02-2009, 07:00 AM
My favorite political segments are the ones with Ramesh Ponnuru, so long as he isn't paired with a particularly forceful liberal.

Res ipsa loquitur.

cognitive madisonian
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
By forceful I mean loud and obnoxious (not naming names), not bright/articulate ;)

bjkeefe
01-03-2009, 10:07 AM
By forceful I mean loud and obnoxious (not naming names), not bright/articulate ;)

Clarification noted and appreciated.

johnmarzan
03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
the elections are over. This Week In Blog needs to take a hiatus. Bill and Conn, take a vacation.

claymisher
03-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I heard week in blog once. That was plenty.

TwinSwords
03-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Bill and Conn, take a vacation.

Speaking of Conn Carroll:

Isn't he the only person on bloggingheads who doesn't come on to speak for himself, but to represent the views of an organization? Conn, in virtually every episode, makes clear he is speaking for The Heritage Foundation.

It's like he is the current holder of The Heritage Foundataion Seat at BHTV.

Am I forgetting someone? Is there anyone else who comes on as a spokesman for a political organization?

bjkeefe
03-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Speaking of Conn Carroll:

Isn't he the only person on bloggingheads who doesn't come on to speak for himself, but to represent the views of an organization? Conn, in virtually every episode, makes clear he is speaking for The Heritage Foundation.

It's like he is the current holder of The Heritage Foundataion Seat at BHTV.

Am I forgetting someone? Is there anyone else who comes on as a spokesman for a political organization?

Bill Scher seems to convey a sense that he represents Campaign for America's Future. Ditto, Heather Hurlburt, for the National Security Network, and Matt Yglesias, for the Center for American Progress. Maybe Brink Lindsey, for Cato, too. And arguably, the people from Reason and Townhall, too.

Maybe it's just a matter of degree, or the way Conn speaks (lots of "we"), or just that Heritage is such a known outfit with a big footprint?

TwinSwords
03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Bill Scher seems to convey a sense that he represents Campaign for America's Future. Ditto, Heather Hurlburt, for the National Security Network, and Matt Yglesias, for the Center for American Progress. Maybe Brink Lindsey, for Cato, too. And arguably, the people from Reason and Townhall, too.

I think those people say who they are affiliated with, but I think they are all different from Conn, in that they all appear to be on BHTV giving their own views, not the views of the institutions they work for. In other words, I disagree with the comparison. I don't see Lindsey speaking for CATO, Yglesias speaking for CAP, Hurlbert speaking for NSN, etc. And Bill Scher once explicitly stated that he does NOT speak for CAF, and that the views he expresses are his own. I think Yglesias once gave a similar disclaimer.

Finally, I would have to investigate further to be sure, but in both Yglesias's and Scher's case, I believe there are legal limits on the extent to which they can make certain political statements as representatives for their respective organizations, because they are ostensibly non-partisan and would lose their legal status if they made certain endorsements, etc., and therefore both need to be clear they are speaking for themselves only.

bjkeefe
03-06-2009, 02:19 AM
In other words, I disagree with the comparison.

Okay.

TwinSwords
03-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Scher has the following statement on every page on this blog, Liberal Oasis:

Statements on LiberalOasis do not represent the views of Campaign for America's Future or Institute for America's Future, nor was any content on LiberalOasis created with resources from either group.

He has verbalized this same disclaimer on at least one BHTV appearance.

bjkeefe
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
[...]

Sorry if my previous response was misleading. I didn't mean to suggest anything other than I was conceding to the differences.

johnmarzan
03-06-2009, 09:39 PM
This Week In Blog is like the "minor leagues" of BHTV. those bloggers who participate in it gets tainted with "minor league" status.

now is a good time to get rid of the segment.